• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

WoW Gender Bending

WoWNews

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After an interesting post made by Eldorian, I thought this little study had some enligtening facts from the Deadalus Project. This should give you players some incite when you interact with others and make you think a little bit on who may be playing along with you. I found this absolutely fascinating as a member of my own guild plays a lot of female characters.
23% of male players (N = 939) listed a character of the opposite gender as their most enjoyable character compared with 3% of female players (N = 184). In WoW, men are about 7-8 times as likely to gender-bend than women.
Given a hypothetical pool of 1000 players:
840 would be male players
160 would be female players
Of the 840 male players:
193 would be playing a female character
647 would be playing a male character
Of the 160 female players:
5 would be playing a male character
155 would be playing a female character
Thus, altogether there are 348 female characters of which 193 (55%) would be played by a male player.
And there are 652 male characters of which 5 (< 1%) would be played by a female player.
In other words:
about 1 out of every 2 female characters is played by a man
about 1 out of every 100 male characters is played by a woman
The RL gender distribution is 84% male vs. 16% female.
The in-game gender distribution is 65% male vs. 35% female.
Men over the age of 18 are more likely to gender-bend (25%) than men under the age of 18 (10%). Players who gender-bend score significantly higher on the Customization and Mechanics motivations than players who do not gender-bend. In other words, the two primary reasons why players gender-bend are to be able to be more stylish and to optimize their character (via gifts?).

More...