• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Would you...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
play a new production shard?

Same rule sets as existing production shards, but everything gets a clean slate.

The only stipulation:

No character transfers.

It would be a race to the first skills, first housing (i.e. Luna),
scripting would be minimal because they have no items or skills either.

Thoughts?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
No. We do not need a 28th shard to further dilute the community.
It is an interesting point.

But Would it? Or would it strengthen the community?

People have been playing multiple shards for years.

It may even attract others back to the game.

The economy there would get a new start.

I think it'd be very intriguing.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It is an interesting point.

But Would it? Or would it strengthen the community?

People have been playing multiple shards for years.

It may even attract others back to the game.

The economy there would get a new start.

I think it'd be very intriguing.
I think you can look to Siege to see how well a cut-off shard would fare. Granted, Siege has other...aspects...that many people find unlikeable, but the result would be the same.

Assuming people will keep prices low due to lack of transfers is wishful thinking. A few months of the gold spigot and the inflation would begin, or approximately 10 seconds after the first EM drop.

We don't need more shards we need less. OR incentives to play on shards not named Atlantic.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think you can look to Siege to see how well a cut-off shard would fare. Granted, Siege has other...aspects...that many people find unlikeable, but the result would be the same.

Assuming people will keep prices low due to lack of transfers is wishful thinking. A few months of the gold spigot and the inflation would begin, or approximately 10 seconds after the first EM drop.

We don't need more shards we need less. OR incentives to play on shards not named Atlantic.
That seems to be apples and oranges. Siege is a limited specific ruleset.

But it could very well become a liability instead of an asset.

People could very well say, no thanks, I've invested all my time over on shard "X" to want to play there. And could remain completely empty.

As far as prices being low, it'd have to be for a length of time. The cumulative amount of gold wouldn't be enough to pay for items that would normally sell on other shards for 100M.

People would actually have to farm for gold.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That seems to be apples and oranges. Siege is a limited specific ruleset.

But it could very well become a liability instead of an asset.

People could very well say, no thanks, I've invested all my time over on shard "X" to want to play there. And could remain completely empty.

As far as prices being low, it'd have to be for a length of time. The cumulative amount of gold wouldn't be enough to pay for items that would normally sell on other shards for 100M.

People would actually have to farm for gold.
People not wanting to "move" due to history on their home shards would be the biggest issue. But...we all know a maxed character can be scripted from the ground up in less than a week, only high-end gear and scrolls would delay that. So 3 months, tops, before you have uber chars rolling around.

Farming gold is fairly easy as well, if you know what you're doing. Large amounts of gold would eventually flow into the hands of the same uber rich we have now. There is no way to "fix" the UO economy, even if you create a new shard with no xfers, without directly limiting gold farming in some draconian manner, or forcing the purchase of various required items as gold sinks.

Then we're talking a third ruleset shard, which simply isn't going to happen.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
People not wanting to "move" due to history on their home shards would be the biggest issue. But...we all know a maxed character can be scripted from the ground up in less than a week, only high-end gear and scrolls would delay that. So 3 months, tops, before you have uber chars rolling around.

Farming gold is fairly easy as well, if you know what you're doing. Large amounts of gold would eventually flow into the hands of the same uber rich we have now. There is no way to "fix" the UO economy, even if you create a new shard with no xfers, without directly limiting gold farming in some draconian manner, or forcing the purchase of various required items as gold sinks.

Then we're talking a third ruleset shard, which simply isn't going to happen.
Itd be the same ruleset, only no transfers.

It seems easy to deny others the opportunity based on ones own gameplay.

Regardless, everything would be delayed for months and probably even years.

People consistently farm gold now, the difference in this is in trillions of gold.

But as you say it may completely fail based on someone wanting to keep history of their previous characters.

Myself, I would play it and most likely move all accounts there.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If it's same ruleset and everything that we have now, just starting over...dont bother making thye shard, just give all your stuff away and start over at home shard?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
If it's same ruleset and everything that we have now, just starting over...dont bother making thye shard, just give all your stuff away and start over at home shard?
This isnt really about if i would.

Of course if someone were to delete everything on the shard they currently play theres no incentive because the environment doesnt change.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Same rule sets as existing production shards, but everything gets a clean slate.

The only stipulation:

No character transfers.

Thoughts?
They already tried this. It's exactly how Origin was created. I don't think shard transfers existed or at least weren't very popular back then also.

Origin is one of the most dead shards in the game these days so apparently it didn't work out too well.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
They already tried this. It's exactly how Origin was created. I don't think shard transfers existed or at least weren't very popular back then also.

Origin is one of the most dead shards in the game these days so apparently it didn't work out too well.
Origin was created in 2004. The scenario in game were under different circumstances because existing shards were still developing.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
My thoughts are there would be a mad race for Luna houses and castles. After those spots were gone it would be over. I already did this. I moved to Legends and made all new characters from scratch. All my Great Lakes guys are still there, just in case. If I ever get shard shields I got a ton of stuff to ship over :p I can't play my Great Lakes guys, all their banks and packs are full lol

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My thoughts are there would be a mad race for Luna houses and castles. After those spots were gone it would be over. I already did this. I moved to Legends and made all new characters from scratch. All my Great Lakes guys are still there, just in case. If I ever get shard shields I got a ton of stuff to ship over :p I can't play my Great Lakes guys, all their banks and packs are full lol
Yep, exactly. There would be, which would be part of the enticement.

My guess thered be a rush to throw up the cheapest houses in luna walls, then the next rush would be for castles.

Could be interesting or a complete flop.

Im undecided which.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
NO Because no one will go there because they cant get their people/gold there of event items off. Waste of resources.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd want my characters and their skills, nothing else would be fine, but the skills would have to come along.

Add in monsters raiding banks to get their shiny treasures we loot from them to limit how rich characters can get. The wealthier the character the more he loses in the bank raids. Have monster thieves rob houses for valuable items. No insurance.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sadly, scripting would be rife within a day.
Hmm I don't think so.

I think it'd take at least a few days or longer to get to the point where they could even get to that point.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'd want my characters and their skills, nothing else would be fine, but the skills would have to come along.

Add in monsters raiding banks to get their shiny treasures we loot from them to limit how rich characters can get. The wealthier the character the more he loses in the bank raids. Have monster thieves rob houses for valuable items. No insurance.
I don't think I'd be a fan of allowing skills over.

Some other games do allow quicker gains and resources on particular servers.

I could see them doing this.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sadly, scripting would be rife within a day.
AMEN Script mining and gain mining all at the same time. Same with any other resource gathering. Train skills and script resources from minute one.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Origin was created this way...Transfers were closed for months...I forget exactly how long.

I remember creating all 6 (At the time) characters to pool the 1k newbie gold into one, me and 6 other people from Napa did the same...I started a tamer and tamed horses to sell for 100gp a piece....much cheaper then the 600-700gp they are at the stables....we placed in the last Luna spot available and filled the house with newbie armor we got from killing rats, trolls etc..piecing together LRC resist suits so we could move on to the harder stuff.

It was fun....for a while....everyone was on the same playing field....sort of....of course you could still use those unmentionable programs to gain skills, but Origin was thriving....Cassie ran her auctions every week...Cresent Moon Auctions....I was part of a player-run town....I eventually started doing my own auctions....we had player events weekly....story-lines....

But...eventually....people get to where they are now....so it would be good...for awhile...but in the end would just end up like all the others.

I started on Origin for that very reason...a fresh start, everyone the same.....but it didn't last. Still proud to call Origin my home :)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

The only stipulation:

No character transfers.

Thoughts?
I likely wouldn't much more than checking it out. I play Atlantic and I like it there. Sure the economy is pretty much crazy at certain areas, but I never felt the need to buy a castle for a dozen billion rather than just shaking my head and going on. Also I'm not interested in races to skills or the chance to get a luna house, as I like my current house as it is. I can also buy pretty much everything I personally need. And I actually never felt any need to play even a second shard.

Plus the problems I personally see with UO would not be solved by it, as I see more issues with the direction of the game in general than with the playerbase or economy. And the new shard would still be run by the same persons.

But nice question actually.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron

The only stipulation:

No character transfers.
No, but if you make it all Felucca, no Trammel rules and no Item Insurance I would be there.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No. No inflation on Siege. That's not the problem.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would have tried a Tram shard with no Transfers. I am on SP now and love it very much. But for years it was one of my deepest wishes to leave prodo and go to a shard without char transfer. These transfers are the worst thing ever implemented. In fact, dropping them strengthens communities and markets.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I likely wouldn't much more than checking it out. I play Atlantic and I like it there. Sure the economy is pretty much crazy at certain areas, but I never felt the need to buy a castle for a dozen billion rather than just shaking my head and going on. Also I'm not interested in races to skills or the chance to get a luna house, as I like my current house as it is. I can also buy pretty much everything I personally need. And I actually never felt any need to play even a second shard.

Plus the problems I personally see with UO would not be solved by it, as I see more issues with the direction of the game in general than with the playerbase or economy. And the new shard would still be run by the same persons.

But nice question actually.
It's true, it wouldn't solve UOs problems or low player base.

I suspect a lot would not play for these same reasons.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Origin was created this way...Transfers were closed for months...I forget exactly how long.

I remember creating all 6 (At the time) characters to pool the 1k newbie gold into one, me and 6 other people from Napa did the same...I started a tamer and tamed horses to sell for 100gp a piece....much cheaper then the 600-700gp they are at the stables....we placed in the last Luna spot available and filled the house with newbie armor we got from killing rats, trolls etc..piecing together LRC resist suits so we could move on to the harder stuff.

It was fun....for a while....everyone was on the same playing field....sort of....of course you could still use those unmentionable programs to gain skills, but Origin was thriving....Cassie ran her auctions every week...Cresent Moon Auctions....I was part of a player-run town....I eventually started doing my own auctions....we had player events weekly....story-lines....

But...eventually....people get to where they are now....so it would be good...for awhile...but in the end would just end up like all the others.

I started on Origin for that very reason...a fresh start, everyone the same.....but it didn't last. Still proud to call Origin my home :)
Do you think allowing transfers hurt Origin after it started?

Or did people just lose interest anyways?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The only stipulation:

No character transfers.

Thoughts?
Nope

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Do you think allowing transfers hurt Origin after it started?

Or did people just lose interest anyways?

Honestly, I think if transfers had not been allowed at all to and from Origin, the inevitable would have happened much later. I was on the fence for a long time about transfers opening up, I wanted to be a closed-circuit system, self-reliant, independent.....no outsiders allowed....I think that's what made Origin great back then....we only had ourselves to rely on.

Eventually yes I think, it would have gotten old....but I can't honestly say.

I think this idea, this concept of Origin was pretty awesome...I look back now and wish they'd never opened transfers to Origin (Though I would miss Larisa, the first character I created on this game, she's the only character I transferred)....I think Origin would still be pretty quiet....I think quieter then it is now because e-commerce and trade appeals to the masses now, but I'm the kind of person who takes pride in the things I achieve....the gold I have I made myself....not by going to a few events and selling an item for millions of gold...the skills I have, I raised myself, by hand...hell I'm just now trying to finish off my taming! 98.9 with my .1 GG a day :) I'm totally old skool!

But in this day and age....a closed-circuit system would just not work.

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, because players will still find a way to cheat. No one will stop them.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
No, because players will still find a way to cheat. No one will stop them.
Sure, no one says the wouldn't.

But the amount possible at the start would be severely limited.

Enziet

Journeyman
but.. but but.... I just made a brand new account and started over on Atlantic... .It's not even 6 months old yet, and already your trying to take this away from me :( I don't wana go back to Pacific :( It's so quiet over there... It's like sitting in the corner being punished by PK's and IDOC hunters.

(I might consider it)

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Add an additional rule eliminate currency from the Shard. Make the game exist on bartering. Again this would only work if you eliminate script kiddies

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Origin was very popular, I had a lot of fun getting up the gold to be able to place one of the first castles and playing there. When Origin began its decline was when transfers opened up and it has been a steady decline since that day. Had it been left as a no transfer shard things might have been different or maybe not, now way to know.

Using Siege as a example is not a even close to fair comparison. Siege is where us mental patients play with none of the perks of regular prodo shards. People either really love Siege or really hate Siege there just ain't a lot of middle ground there.

I would rather see transfers removed and shards consolidated, there would be a lot of moaning but it would be best for us all in the long run. Give everyone the opportunity to migrate to ATL or GL and wipe 3 low pop shards and condense them down to one shard. Put skills, , soul stones and a back pack worth of stuff in a Migration file for everyone that did no choose the ATL/GL transfer option and drop them on the clean condensed shard with 30 days to place a a house and clean out their migration crate. Open Malas up for keeps and castles. In the first 30 days allow no new character creation outside of the migrated accounts coming in to allow them time to place housing and get set up. TOTALLY Disable transfers on these clean shards, reset the vet reward picks with number of picks appropriate for the accounts age. Allow transfers to continue on the legacy shards that are not condensed. I would lose a lot of years worth of pixel collecting in this but IMO it would be well worth it to have viable shards with active populations. Since we would all be starting on a clean slate with nothing more than our basic gear and the junk in our back pack, skills, vet rewards and soul stones it would not take long for us to get the shards up to speed. It would not even be like totally starting over, other than we would have castles full of crap in chest that have not been opened in years. After 30 days allow new characters to be created. I would be willing to bet the condensed shards with no transfers would be quite popular and we would have something sorely lacking since transfers came about SHARD LOYALTY. Will never happen because of the OMG I will lose my pixels that I have not even looked at in a decade crying and the How can we farm the low pop shards to transfer to ATL for profit whining.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The scripting would be astronomical.

50 mage / 50 Miner Start script
50 mage / 50 lumberjacking Start Script

1 day later

Script smelt 1 by 1 ... now there is a 100 blacksmith/Tinker/Carpenter

This is not to take into account everyone scripting skills, gold farming, etc etc.

No, I think you are 100% incorrect it would be the wild west of scripting.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have done it, although starting on a fresh new shard would have been even more enjoyable. If you are tired of the game and have thoughts of quitting I suggest you start an account from scratch.

Try doing it without "gimping" your new start chars with gold and equipment. I found it to be very rewarding. I would definitely do it again.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The scripting would be astronomical.

50 mage / 50 Miner Start script
50 mage / 50 lumberjacking Start Script

1 day later

Script smelt 1 by 1 ... now there is a 100 blacksmith/Tinker/Carpenter

This is not to take into account everyone scripting skills, gold farming, etc etc.

No, I think you are 100% incorrect it would be the wild west of scripting.
Sure but many scripters I see rely on recall.

Where do they get gold and suits etc to sustain this?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sure but many scripters I see rely on recall.

Where do they get gold and suits etc to sustain this?
Really?

A fresh character with 50 imbuing can unravel a few crappy items and imbue 100 lrc onto npc armor. Even with minimal gold you can by the exact 4 spells (1 for each circle of magery through level 4) and get discorded in the new despise and train to 70+ magery. Easy and done in a couple hours.

The real trick is getting lucky enough to find a mark scroll off a monster...

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
What I would love to see, is letting us place houses across ever shard. I love the auto-refresh on my homes and wish that it could be cross ever shard. Long ago we had houses across shards but had to refresh them or lose them. If I could have houses on other shards I would get my characters out of the Inn. Sonoma is my home shard, we have three homes there. I also play Siege and have placed two there, (Well one is nothing more than a garden spot). But still, I really wish we could have that.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Really?

A fresh character with 50 imbuing can unravel a few crappy items and imbue 100 lrc onto npc armor. Even with minimal gold you can by the exact 4 spells (1 for each circle of magery through level 4) and get discorded in the new despise and train to 70+ magery. Easy and done in a couple hours.

The real trick is getting lucky enough to find a mark scroll off a monster...
I remember when imbuing came out with well established characters.

I'm not sure it'll be as quick as you think.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember when imbuing came out with well established characters.

I'm not sure it'll be as quick as you think.
It will be faster because when Imbuing first came out you had to make stuff to reach GM now you can GM just by unraveling stuff.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It will be faster because when Imbuing first came out you had to make stuff to reach GM now you can GM just by unraveling stuff.
Exactly! and it does not take high level of imbue to put LRC on a NPC suit to get the ball rolling for mystic, mage, necro.