• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Word Of Death - Something Inherently Wrong

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

Connor_Graham

There's something inherently wrong with Word of Death. No single spell cast a single time should give ANYONE looting rights on anything. Someone does 99% of the damage to a creature, then someone else comes along and casts a single spell and gets half the loot for only 1% of the effort.

This particular spell needs a little more adjustment than what it's already had I think. This just isn't right.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yep, it does a lot of damage. No, it doesn't need nerfing.

I'm just guessing we are talking about skele liches?

C

Connor_Graham

No, it doesn't need nerfing.
This is where we disagree. Any spell that gives looting rights from a single casting is wrong. Period. Putting almost no effort into defeating anything and getting looting rights is wrong. Period.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is where we disagree. Any spell that gives looting rights from a single casting is wrong. Period. Putting almost no effort into defeating anything and getting looting rights is wrong. Period.

Someone else getting your talis and spellbooks?

C

Connor_Graham

Someone else getting your talis and spellbooks?
No, I'm doing just fine with getting them. 5 spellbooks and 7 talismans so far. I'm just tired of someone popping in when there's barely a thread of life left, casting a single spell and getting half the loot for doing 1% of the damage. Anyone that says this is ok is abusing it themselves.

And yes, to forestall any comments on such, I do have a spellweaver.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, very little effort is necessary to get looting rights. Any mediocre fighter can get looting rights for dealing some damage to the creature. I think, Word of Death is overrated.

• It requires exact timing, which isn't as easy as it looks.
  • It requires at least a level 2 focus (the lower the focus, the more difficult the timing).
  • It requires at least 110 Spellweaving (or you will fail most of the time and get no looting rights at all).
  • It is boring.

Yes, boring. Who wants to fight a creature by casting a single spell? Boring! Challenge, danger, death, it's what makes this game fun.

I

Ivan - MT

Weaving is fine just the way it it now, and I've been using them same tactics as you mentioned above except I'll cast 2 or 3 WoD's at the end. Only difference is I spam healing on all the melee fighters and/or pets while they beat on it. I enjoy playing the healer of the group around me and feel comfortable doing so knowing that I can still get looting rights near the end of the fight with little effort.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, I'm doing just fine with getting them. 5 spellbooks and 7 talismans so far. I'm just tired of someone popping in when there's barely a thread of life left, casting a single spell and getting half the loot for doing 1% of the damage. Anyone that says this is ok is abusing it themselves.

You do realize, of course, that if there is actually only a sliver of life left on the critter then you yourself as the sole other damaging party have already placed a hefty limit on the amount of damage any set of actions can accomplish. Are you telling me that someone with an undead slayer hally and this new talisman couldnt put a 200 damage pop in this thing and get looting rights as well?

Or maybe its the instanced corpse that should be nerfed, yours should be as large as the actual portion of damage you did and any rolls for items should by percentage chance and modified for the largest damager by his or her amount of luck be placed, juicy bits first, into the archers, erm, highest damagers corpse.

And to forestall any questions of such, yes, I have an archer.

C'mon Connor, I enjoy reading your posts, but it is after all an MMorpg.

C

Connor_Graham

Are you telling me that someone with an undead slayer hally and this new talisman couldnt put a 200 damage pop in this thing and get looting rights as well?
Yes I am. No warrior type regardless of weapon or skills can do a 400+ point damage hit, which is what a single WoD, even without Focus can do. From experience, I know that any warrior type coming in at the end of a fight and getting a single hit, or even 2, will most likely NOT get looting rights. Someone casting WoD will.

And yeah, we've got someone that is recalling from graveyard to graveyard casting a single WoD at the end of the fight (that's when he's arriving at each), and getting looting rights.

I'm sorry, but it's just not "balanced" that a single casting gets looting rights when everyone else has done thousands of points of damage.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry, but it's just not "balanced" that a single casting gets looting rights when everyone else has done thousands of points of damage.
There's always fel. Its a pretty good bet that if they have weaving they don't have parry.

Maybe we can talk to the Devs about an a__hole nerf in the next expansion.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well if it's cutting into your bottom line, you won't generate much sympathy here. I could very well post a similar argument that I only have the spellbook thus far (wich is true) because folks constantly camp the spawn hording drops. But I think that is important because if every account were limited to one drop then I would get very little help bringing the boss critters down.

The spellweavers I have seen so far this year do much more than WoD when fighting. Unless they arrive late in the fight, they are casting mad summons and spells through the whole fight.

As for WoD I am very grateful for it when I've spent an hour and many deaths fighting a Crimson and a spellweaver pops in and finishes it off quickly... BUT the loot isn't as wonderfull as rare spellbooks and talis.

I'll admit that I thought the same thing way back when the first grim reapers spawned. But I ended up with 6 or 7 scythes at the end of the event and a full set of cursed arties anyway. So I got more than my fair share.

You have so many drops as it is and so much time left in the event. Why not focus on something else?

C

Connor_Graham

There's always fel. Its a pretty good bet that if they have weaving they don't have parry.

Maybe we can talk to the Devs about an a__hole nerf in the next expansion.
UO PvP sucks. I refuse to participate in it.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL, OK then.

But back to mele damage, I'm positive I got some hits on one of these using EEO and LS even without honor that were doing 120 points. Toe to toe, not ranged, damage.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you get the last hit with a Flamestrike you might get looting rights also. If you are the first one to hit and hit it just a couple times then there is a good chance you get looting rights.

Don't blame the spell, blame the looting rights system.

C

Connor_Graham

Well if it's cutting into your bottom line, you won't generate much sympathy here.
I'm not concerned about my bottom line. I simply don't find it very fair to everyone involved to do 99% of the work for someone else to come by, take 4 seconds of their time, and get rewarded the same as everyone else.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Alright, let's say a WoD with a level 3 focus does around 300 points of damage, when the monster is close to death. Let's be optimistic and assume that (due to perfect timing and very high spellweaving skill) the Weaver can cast two WoD before the monster dies. That's a total of 600 damage points.

In comparison:

A Bushido with honor can make criticals with 170 damage. He needs only 4 hits to achieve the same amount of damage.

A mage with an appropriate slayer book can deal (depending on the monster type and its weakness) up to 100 damage or more with a single spell, from safe distance. Six flamestrikes, and he's having the same amount of damage.

Try throwing explosions with an Alchemist wearing a 50% enhance potion ring. Insane damage! And he does not even have a fighting skill!

I could go on.

Now, a fight against such a monster lasts maybe 5 minutes (or longer). While a Spellweaver can try to do all his damage in the last 10 seconds of the fight, the other fighters have the opportunity to do a similar amount of damage during the whole 5 minutes. Believe me, nobody will have problems to get looting rights, if you consider damage over time. I even get looting rights with a character who has 80 archery and crappy equipment.

B

Bigmikeuk

CRY MORE NOOBS? LAWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneeelevenoneeleven!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Hawkeye is right! This is as fairly balanced as it's gonna get. Suck it up!

:lame::lame::lame::lame::lame::lame::lame::lame:

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't blame the spell, blame the looting rights system.
I'm going with JC on this one.

It seems like the looting rights system goes based off of damage outputted instead of damage applied.

Completely Made Up Example: You Word of Death a monster and 500 damage pops up over their head. But the monster only had 15 HP left. You get credit for 500 instead of 15, and thus get looting rights.

Unless, of course, I am completely off base here and a Word of Death in that situation would result in 15 popping up over the monster's head. At which point it would appear that the looting rights system is screwed up at a much deeper level.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not concerned about my bottom line. I simply don't find it very fair to everyone involved to do 99% of the work for someone else to come by, take 4 seconds of their time, and get rewarded the same as everyone else.

But it is your bottom line you are concerned with. If you would have stoped at 2 drops (one of each) you would have been done with that piece of the event and moved on to something else. Probably wouldn't even have noticed WoD. But you post after 12 drops? That is alot of camping.

P

peanutbutter

the spell doesn't need nerfing, the way creatures react to it might, though. maybe WoD should be effective for massive damage (since it takes massive mana and has a pretty high failure rate) between 15% and 30% of the creatures health, but force the creature to guarantee that its next attack hits the caster.

your real issue isn't that the spell does damage, if i read you correctly, but that a person gets looting rights without much effort. well, this will solve that, i think. it at least guarantees that they can't wait till the last moment and get the kill shot since it's only effective down to 10% health (at which point, the spell will have little to no effect) as well as making sure that the caster does actually have to be active in the fight.

S

Sarphus

I don't think there's anything wrong with WoD.

It's not like a spellweaver can kite things to solo them (unlike an archer)

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm going with JC on this one.

It seems like the looting rights system goes based off of damage outputted instead of damage applied.

Completely Made Up Example: You Word of Death a monster and 500 damage pops up over their head. But the monster only had 15 HP left. You get credit for 500 instead of 15, and thus get looting rights.

Unless, of course, I am completely off base here and a Word of Death in that situation would result in 15 popping up over the monster's head. At which point it would appear that the looting rights system is screwed up at a much deeper level.
Well, I may be wrong, but to me it seems that certain creatures (especially peerless or the Skeletal Lich) still have a lot of health reserves when the health bar is completely down.

C

Connor_Graham

But it is your bottom line you are concerned with. If you would have stoped at 2 drops (one of each) you would have been done with that piece of the event and moved on to something else. Probably wouldn't even have noticed WoD. But you post after 12 drops? That is alot of camping.
My motivation for doing what I'm doing in game has nothing to do with my disgust at a game mechaninc that allows someone to get something for practically nothing.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My motivation for doing what I'm doing in game has nothing to do with my disgust at a game mechaninc that allows someone to get something for practically nothing.

Except for the fact that the motivation for doing what you are doing is in part the cause of your disgust. Imagine most other folks disgust when they pop open a vendor and see a 50 mil "owned by no one" tali that they may have received (and actually used) had some folks not been camping the spawn for the duration of the event.

C

Connor_Graham

Except for the fact that the motivation for doing what you are doing is in part the cause of your disgust.
My motivation has nothing to do with the cause.

Not

One

Single

Thing

You really need to get off that. I've been disgusted at this particualar game mechanic every time I see it happen. It has nothing to do with this particular event and everything to do with a game mechanic that, as I've already repeated several times, allows someone to get something for nothing.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe go do something besides play UO 24/7.

Then stupid stuff like this wouldn't bother you so much.

C

Connor_Graham

Sure. Find some miracle medical breakthrough that would allow me to do something else, and I'd be more than happy to oblige. Until that time, you have no clue what the hell you're talking about.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My motivation has nothing to do with the cause.

Not

One

Single

Thing

You really need to get off that. I've been disgusted at this particualar game mechanic every time I see it happen. It has nothing to do with this particular event and everything to do with a game mechanic that, as I've already repeated several times, allows someone to get something for nothing.
Except if you stopped at one each you would be doing something else now and not whining about it here.

And as in previous posts it isn't at any point difficult to get looting rights. These same folks could use several different templates to the same end. But it bothers you that they cast a spell once as opposed to swinging a weapon 3 or 4 times, firing a few arrows, throwing a few pots or casting a hanful of other spells. At best other folks put marginal extra effort to the same end. I do not see your point in the slightest. So the only thing I can consider is your insatiable greed.

C

Connor_Graham

Except if you stopped at one each you would be doing something else now and not whining about it here.

And as in previous posts it isn't at any point difficult to get looting rights. These same folks could use several different templates to the same end. But it bothers you that they cast a spell once as opposed to swinging a weapon 3 or 4 times, firing a few arrows, throwing a few pots or casting a hanful of other spells. At best other folks put marginal extra effort to the same end. I do not see your point in the slightest. So the only thing I can consider is your insatiable greed.
*SIGH*

I've already done everything else that I can without having to have a group to do, which I've been waiting on for a couple of days now. In the meantime, I'm doing something I find to be enjoyable, yet I'm greedy because I want to do something that I find enjoyment doing.

Whatever.

The concept of someone getting something for nothing just goes right over your head I guess. Maybe it's time for you to go to another thread and tell someone else what their motivations are. The mind reader that you are, you should be able to cover everyone here in a few minutes.

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure. Find some miracle medical breakthrough that would allow me to do something else, and I'd be more than happy to oblige. Until that time, you have no clue what the hell you're talking about.

I've never heard of a disease that makes you play UO all day...

While you may think I'm giving you a hard time as usual. I'm really trying to be helpful. Go find another hobby, even if you can't walk, there are plenty of more constructive things you could do with your time.

If you went and found something else to occupy at least some of your time you would be less concerned with what is happening in this stupid game.