• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wolf Slayer Crook?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
the new Doom Arty, the Crook with Wolf slayer and +10 vet.
question has come up in the guild about it.
i asked what good it was unless you run a mage macer tamer and you live off of Cu's.
in a discussion with a guild mate he speculated that maybe you can equip it and use it to get spell damage on the Cu's to knock them down before you tame them.

as far as i know you can only get SDI from spell books.
am i wrong?
does anyone know of a use for this crook that im not seeing?
its SC with no -1 so thats nice.
it has vet, ok so we are looking at a mage tamer.
wolf slayer, so either Cu's or wolfs or hell hounds, none of which are worth anything in game other then the Cu so has to be for the Cu, right?
- damage property, so even if you use it with a macer its worthless with SC and the reduction in damage so it has to be for a mage tamer.

so DOES it give your spells slayer jam?
worth the late night talk, no?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Doubt it works for tamers using magery.

Nice try though... suppose it would work for my macer when doing a spawn of wolves.. which there isn't one... so I'm not sure of it's point or purpose it looked and sounded cool?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ya i just went and tested, dosnt do anything for a mage.
and with the -20% DI that makes it no good for melee.

very strange crook.
i would even speculate its a useless item, though i hate to make such broad sweeping statement.

there is 2 wolf spawns in game.
the Champ where the Cu's spawn makes Cu's near the end.
and then there is the Tsuki Wolfs and their champ in toku land.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does +10 vet capped or not? It have same skill bonus and DI penalty as +5 LJ axe.
Crook may have some use if it boost you to 130 vet skill. Or maybe it allow to apply band aids at extended range?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
should be easy enough to test, ill give it a go and see what i can see

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I look at it mostly as being RP/decoration.

I find it neat on that level and picked one up.

Why wolf slayer? Because of the traditional threats posed by wolves to shepherds and their flocks. I'm a little surprised I have to point that out.

From a strictly utilitarian perspective it seems to me to be more useful than the Boomstick, which I know several people used to carry. (The Boomstick's primary attraction seems to have been LRC, which even at the time it came out already had been common on armor for some time.) I do not think I would carry one if I played a Tamer, save for RP purposes (and if I played a Tamer, which I don't, it probably would be more of a ranger/fighter type tamer). But, then again, if I played a Mage, which I don't, I wouldn't have carried the Boomstick. And people still did.

-Galen's player

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
i find it hard to believe that they would put an item in and have it weighed so heavy for expense to purchase just for the one person that would want it for RP purposes.
i also find it hard to believe that they would go through the time to create and make a new item and have it fail so miserably.

yet, here we see it in all its glory.

now if they had just coded the crook to be a spellbook so spells casted with it while equipt would have the wolf slayer on them then this crook would be worth picking up.

shame.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be nice if mages had access to all the slayers, or for talismans to count for spellcasting.

Melee characters can have three active (weapon, talisman, Enemy of One)

But yeah, the crook, beyond holding a hint to the portal password, is completely useless for actual gameplay.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
hint for the portal password.......

Giles

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have run some templates in the past that only used one slot packs. With a tight template i would only have 80 vet for rezzing. This could be used to run with 70 vet and only use when rezzing. Since one slots have a lot less hp's vet does not need to be very high.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Considering that in general two thirds of all new arty / static stat items are absolutely worthless i think the devs did a pretty good job on this one. the mace is bad, the crook is worthless, but the other stuff is decent. i would have expected only 1 item to be somewhat usefull, and am thankful that only this one is total trash.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have run some templates in the past that only used one slot packs. With a tight template i would only have 80 vet for rezzing. This could be used to run with 70 vet and only use when rezzing. Since one slots have a lot less hp's vet does not need to be very high.
you can get 15 vet on a fishing pole.

Giles

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did not know that about the fishing pole. I am just waiting for my hell hounds to bond. I looked but could not find a +15 fishing pole. How do you get this?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
make fishing poles with runics

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
make fishing poles with runics
I have a really cool reforged fishing pole. It does nothing useful but it's frostwood and has a lot of wierd stats on it. So why not!?

Fingers

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
It would be nice if mages had access to all the slayers, or for talismans to count for spellcasting.

Melee characters can have three active (weapon, talisman, Enemy of One)
Plus, shouldnt my summoned RC have the "slayer" instinct instilled in it when I summon it carrying the slayer spellbook?

I know its technical, but specific melee builds with chiv can have 3, not all melee builds have chiv. Not being picky, altho it may sound so, im just sayin.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
New idea!
Slayer Infusion Property! 0 weight! But uses a slot
You can infuse slayer properties on to a weapon so it acts like a mage book.

Would be cool to have sdi mages carrying scepters or wooden staves it's not too overpowering and it changes the dynamic of suit building and character looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
That could be a use to that silver tincture thing from DOom
i tried the silver tincture in doom and didnt see any difference in damage i was doing.
so either its not working or it dosnt allow you to go over your cap as a melee.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The tincture, aside from its use as deco, is a complete waste of artifacts.

A whole hour of use is pointless. I might have paid more artifacts for it to be a permanent addition to a weapon/spellbook.

jill

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone tried this crook on the leather wolves? They run in packs.