• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

wine help needed for mac

D

DVI

so im at the point where ive been able to get wine up and running and use it to begin the installation process of uo. its opened a windows uo install screen, and is asking me to chose a directory to install the program. no matter which drive or sub folder etc i select the install button remains grey and unable to be selected.

anyone help to offer some advice on how to get this to install?

thank you in advance

D

DVI

well im already familiar with that site and its been invaluable as of yet, but doesnt help me figure out where the file should be installed

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The installer for the Enhanced Client won't run. BUT, if you install it on a windows machine and can copy the folder to your mac/ linux box, it will run with the latest version of wine

Well I kind of take that back, this happens with the classic client installer as well. I just tested on a new linux netbook with wine. What a pain. I might try copying files on this as well, but this is a pain in the neck for people with no PC to copy files from.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The installer for the Enhanced Client won't run. BUT, if you install it on a windows machine and can copy the folder to your mac/ linux box, it will run with the latest version of wine

Well I kind of take that back, this happens with the classic client installer as well. I just tested on a new linux netbook with wine. What a pain. I might try copying files on this as well, but this is a pain in the neck for people with no PC to copy files from.
OK. I did a little more testing, it appears that the latest version of the client you download from the uoherald.com website has a new installer package and thus, you can't choose the "Install" button, it remains greyed out on both the EC and CC. I'm sure you can do a work around on the installer, a similar problem apparently existed in WoW that people were able to work around.

That being said, you CAN dowload the OLD installer from largedownloads.ea.com click on pub and then UO, choose the one that does NOT reference KR. You can run that from wine and it works just fine. It will take awhile to run the patches.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This page from the Wine website has detailed instructions for installing the EC on Linux. I'm not sure if those would work for you on a Mac, but it might be worth trying if you don't have a windows drive that you can copy the files over from.

I'm not sure if the same method would work to install the Classic client under Wine, I used one of the older installers and patched up from it.

Wenchy

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ahh, that page has been updated since last I looked at it.

If those instructions work on Linux, they will probably work on mac. Good to know.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, anyone found a workaround for the gray install button?

I tried to get it (CC, don"t think that baby can handle the EC) to run on an openSUSE machine, but failed due to the grey button :(