• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Windows 7 and 2d question

L

Llwyd

My new computer has Windows 7 Home Premium. I downloaded the 2d client and can play UO... however, whenever I quit the game the computer reverts to a message saying "UO is loading", and when I try to open the game again I get the message that another instance of UO is running.

In short, once I quit, I have to restart the computer before I can play again. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

J

Jonas123

Maybe you could just open the taskmanager pressing alt ctrl del and then quit the instance but have you tried setting the compatibility mode to the .exe you use to start your UO? To set that mode you need to right click the .exe and then go to properties -> compatibility and check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and set it to Windows XP SP3 or similar.

L

Llwyd

I had already set the compatibility mode to XP, but that hadn't helped. I'll just go with the taskmanager solution I guess... that works fine. Thanks!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My new computer has Windows 7 Home Premium. I downloaded the 2d client and can play UO... however, whenever I quit the game the computer reverts to a message saying "UO is loading", and when I try to open the game again I get the message that another instance of UO is running.

In short, once I quit, I have to restart the computer before I can play again. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
Mine also does this. If I load another game, it goes away.

I was wondering how to get to taskmaster.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hit Ctrl + Alt + Del and click on Start Task Manager. Click on Applications tab and hit End Task on Ultima Online.

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The image shows the settings I used to eliminate the issue you describe. Runs smooth as silk and no "UO Loading" bit after closing.

Hope it helps

I believe it has to do with the "visual themes" so you may be able to just play with those settings to achieve the same end results.

L

Llwyd

Those setting changes solve the problem. It changes the color settings to "Windows 7 Basic" (but reverts back once you close the program). Thanks! :)

Note: If anyone else tries this (and plays like I do, using only 2d and the built-in macros), you'll have to reset all your macros after this change is implemented.

Falseprophet

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
another way to close it is to hit alt+enter twice (toggles game between windowed/fullscreen)
but if you go to compatibility and just check the "Disable desktop composition" option it will work without leaving UO.exe running and giving you that ghost box that just say UO