• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Win2k and the new patch

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have the classic client on my work computer which is still windows 2000.
I know I know, I should be working on my work computer.
And Windows 2000 is pretty old...
And I don't think Windows 2000 was ever officially supported for any of the clients...
But up until todays patch everything was fine.
Now...
Application popup: client.exe - Entry Point Not Found : The procedure entry point SymGetTypeInfo could not be located in the dynamic link library dbghelp.dll.

From microsoft knowledge base it seems when this is happening the program is not reading the operating system correctly and is trying to call a non-existant function in W2k.

Any help?

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This problem goes right in line with the publish notes

"Classic Client:

- Added a crash reporting dialog box that appears during client crashes."

Lol added a crash reporter that crashes my game...bah.

TullyMars

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I fixed it.
For the fix I copied a dbghelp.dll from a Windows Server 2003 (you could also use XP I suppose but this one I had handy) into the game folder in the program files.

J

jabeth

... could also use XP I suppose ...
I used one from XP had to copy it into system32 and dllcache and restart - but did get it to work.
#Using windows 2000 server#
*Wishes could fix win98 to run UO again that easily*

Illumina Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried to copy the dbghelp.dll file over to the UO game folder and it still does not work. I get the same error message that you got. Anyone else have any ideas?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Illumina, I believe jabeth copied the file from another computer, not just from the windows folder to the uo folder.

Illumina Zero

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried that too since that is what it sounded like some folks did. So I sent the dbghelp.dll file from my work computer (which is XP) to my home computer and replaced it. Still the same problem. Getting REALLY close to just calling it quits. Who wants to pay for something you cant play?

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you replace every copy of the dbghelp.dll file?

If you placed the old copy in the UO folder, it may be using that one instead of the one in the windows folder.