• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Win XP 32 bit, 64 bit win 7 which bit??

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm confused!!

I got a new mb (AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.10 ghz, 2.00gb ram)- my son tried to install our win xp 32 disc on it. It installed, then crashed on windows update and wouldn't boot. total shut down

So - he got win xp64 and installed that - it's a total pain in the rear. Will only download some windows updates, some download after multiple attempts, some won't download at all.

So, my other son offered me win 7 - only the disc he's given me is 32 bit!
Is there any point in asking my younger son to try to install this? or will it not work with athlon dual core?
I'm guessing we're not likely to find both versions are on the disc when we try to use it.

S

Sturdy

I am not clear if you just got a new CPU or if the whole computer changed.

Not sure if this helps (from the AMD site)

The following should be considered when installing Win64:

All device drivers must be 64-bit. 32-bit device drivers don't work. Make sure you have 64-bit drivers for all the devices in your system. This includes the chipset on your motherboard. AMD64 Compatible Device Drivers
Parallel ATA (IDE) hard drives have "in box" support in 64-bit Windows
SATA drives generally do not have "in box" support, and require the SATA driver to be installed using a floppy drive when installing the OS. You need to hit F6 when prompted during Windows installation, and insert a floppy disk containing the driver files in the correct directory structure.

If your sons cant handle this you may need to pay someone to do it- it is 1-2 hours of work start to finish if you dont have the drivers ready to go.

S

Sturdy

Also-

If you just swapped the mobo you may need to tear it all out and reinstall the components. There could be a short, loose ram, a wonkey power connection, the CPU could be seated weirdly etc etc.

I have had to re assemble more than one naughty computer. Often just putting all back in carefully clears up the problem.

When you hit the power button does it POST (a single beep) or does it make some other noises, multiple beeps, one really long one, or the worst no beep at all. The beep is a code. One normal beep means good to go.

U

UOKaiser

I'm confused!!

I got a new mb (AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.10 ghz, 2.00gb ram)- my son tried to install our win xp 32 disc on it. It installed, then crashed on windows update and wouldn't boot. total shut down

So - he got win xp64 and installed that - it's a total pain in the rear. Will only download some windows updates, some download after multiple attempts, some won't download at all.

So, my other son offered me win 7 - only the disc he's given me is 32 bit!
Is there any point in asking my younger son to try to install this? or will it not work with athlon dual core?
I'm guessing we're not likely to find both versions are on the disc when we try to use it.
Does it give a blue screen or does it go to black and reboots? If a blue screen what code does it give before crash? Also which windows updates you trying to install. If it was a memory problem then you wouldn't be able to complete the oiginal install. So im assuming you are downloading and is installing a update that is incompatible with a device on your system. There was a windows update that crashed the pc but they fixed that months ago. Install each update by using advance and not automatic install then install critical or sp packages first. Do not install any hardware driver update from windows update untill you get through this process.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Since you are only running 2gb of ram there is no need really to run the 64bit client at all. i would have him reinstall the 32bit. For me personally I prefer win7 and winxp will no longer be supported if they haven't already ended the support. Regardless of which one you install, you should manually update all drivers before doing any windows updates. Did your son install the drivers that came with the mobo before anything else? Whenever I do a fresh install of an OS, I always install the mobo drivers first before anything else. I then install the latest video drivers so I can adust my screen and then install all other drivers before doing any updates. Windows will update drivers in many cases but on a fresh install I have had problems letting it update drivers before I have installed them. ICQ me and we can talk more :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks all. My son very kindly installed win 7 for me. I'm busily re-setting all my various programs and accesses atm.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apologies for lack of clarity in my original post. The sequence of events was:
I got a new mb and processor just before Christmas. My son installed xp, then started patching up windows. At one of the updates it just stopped working, wouldn't boot into windows, just going round in circles. He tried everything he could think of to fix it, and eventually installed xp64 instead - the only other legit operating system we had access to at the time.

For a while it was fine, then it started being 'picky' about which windows updates it would download. Some it wouldn't do at all, some it would download on the 5th or 6th attempt, some it took np.
This month it wouldn't even download the regular malicious software removal tool. I've been battling with the thing to try to persuade it to download the uo enhance client for months too.

My older son was able to get me windows 7, 32bit. It's installed, it's working, it's patched and the enhanced client is installed too. Good riddance to xp 64!