• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Will SA include a DRM scheme?

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
MMO's don't need a DRM scheme. If someone pirates the SA client, they would still have to upgrade the account in order to access the content.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You seriously need to stop assuming everyone abbreviates. Pretty lazy....so what the hell does DRM mean??

T

Thangorodrim

MMO's don't need a DRM scheme. If someone pirates the SA client, they would still have to upgrade the account in order to access the content.
Thanks for stating the obvious.

EA is capable of anything.

I wish an official response.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or in english, it's a mechanism used to stop the paying customers from playing their purchases, or to convince them not to pay in the first place.

For example, the PC version of BioShock has a DRM in place that only allows you to install it on a certain number of computers. After that, the game will not run without installing a crack of some sort.

Many forms of DRM have been known to be detrimental to the overall operation of a computer. Some, such as Sony's rootkit, made it easy for virus writers to hide their code on people's computers. Other DRMs have been known to shut down CD burning functionality.

It is not well liked.

I can think of one reason to include it: Free shards.

I can think of another reason not to: Some players will not knowingly install certain forms of DRM onto their PC. Period.

T

Thangorodrim

You seriously need to stop assuming everyone abbreviates. Pretty lazy....so what the hell does DRM mean??
Actually you are the lazy one.

Why don't you simply google 'DRM' instead of expecting others to supplement the gaps in your knowledge? It would have taken less time than to make that useless post.

A

Atlantian

It would have taken less time to answer the question instead of being a smartA##

C

Caelas

Actually you are the lazy one.

Why don't you simply google 'DRM' instead of expecting others to supplement the gaps in your knowledge? It would have taken less time than to make that useless post.
HAHA! You wanna talk about useless posting...

The overall chances of getting an official reply to any certain thread is somewhat slim to begin with. Being a duchebag to other posters isn't going to help your situation. Plus, it is Saturday. Saturday MORNING. I hope your post gets buried in useless drivel and never seen again.

Let me guess...you are one of those people that are pissed about Spore coming with DRM?

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Gotta argue huh? Feeble minded ones can't handle it.....to the smart mouth, I did google it, and seriously ask, why would it matter??, per the original question.....EA hasn't lifted a finger to date.:coco:

Zym Dragon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for stating the obvious.

EA is capable of anything.

I wish an official response.
You can wait for an official response all you want, but if I stated the obvious, then why ask the question? I seriously doubt they will add DRM to a game that has never had it (not to mention never needed it). WAR doesn't have DRM... why would UO?

J

Jeremy

I have no knowledge of plans to include a DRM system. Typically, that sort of thing is handled by the account management system - if you buy SA, you'll enter an upgrade code (just like all the previous expansions) and that will give you access to the new content. The client itself we generally distribute freely - the value is in the access.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If this was supposed to be funny, it wasn't. If it was supposed to be serious, then the OP must have been in the shallow end of the brain pool.

How are you supposed to use DRM in a subscription-based game? They don't care who has the client, because you can't use it if you don't subscribe to the service or pay to upgrade your account to see the new expansion. :coco:

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, the version it would likely take with UO is not as a typical DRM but as a punkbuster-type system that monitors your actions (which might actually be considered even more intrusive than regular DRM for people who are bothered by that sort of thing - I sometimes am, I sometimes throw up my hands in frustration and assume I have no privacy anymore anyways). I installed Spore, so I guess I've surrendered :(

T

Thangorodrim

The motivation for the query is simply that more than one EA employee has recently publicly stated that "all future PC titles will include SecuROM."

The fact that it is unreasonable to secure installations of a subscription based game is immaterial. EA does not have a track record of reasonable decisions.

I have no knowledge of plans to include a DRM system. Typically, that sort of thing is handled by the account management system - if you buy SA, you'll enter an upgrade code (just like all the previous expansions) and that will give you access to the new content. The client itself we generally distribute freely - the value is in the access.
Thanks for your response.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, the version it would likely take with UO is not as a typical DRM but as a punkbuster-type system that monitors your actions (which might actually be considered even more intrusive than regular DRM for people who are bothered by that sort of thing - I sometimes am, I sometimes throw up my hands in frustration and assume I have no privacy anymore anyways). I installed Spore, so I guess I've surrendered :(
Spore??? *asks the blonde computer illiterate* You all are speaking way above my bubble.

V

Vyrquenox

It's amazing what we UO players can argue about.
this is pointless. whatever ea could do if it included a drm would be broken apart in about an hour and anyone who cared enough to bypass it would already know. Lord people, DRM or any form whatsoever of copy protection are shattered nearly instantly because they have to be shared to the customer in some form or another, be it dvd cd or file. Or do we really want a discussion on which of us or the devs or whomever runs an official copy of windows on their pc at home?

pointless discussion, they need to monitor their servers and systems not the program they hand out, you can't copy protect user-select or beat any program you give out to someone and then fight your own program and expect that to work. I had a pair of hole punchers when I was dealing with vinyl and disc drives, if that means anything to anyone.