• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why on earth are Dire Wolves/Hell hounds 2 slot pets now?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean, these things and the new drakes are basically the same toughness level right? :coco:

Glibness aside what is pushing these critters up a slot when they are so clearly outclassed in any metric you like by pretty much every other 2 slot pet? It it their base damage? I certainly hope that's not it, because yikes.

They will be pretty much exactly the same as say, a timber wolf after it's trained up to level 3, but at an extra slot cost.

Anyway, I really regret spending the last 5 days in an agonizingly boring grind fest leveling up a dire wolf. When it said it was going to get a level boost when I started training I didn't realize that upon customizing it would gain another slot. Really disappointing. Can't even use them as a pack any more.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dire wolves are necro pets, little walking area killers.
But... Tsuki wolves can use necro are 2 slot pets, those new drakes that can use necro are 2 slot pets. Bit of a discrepancy here.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Tsuki Wolves start out as 3 slot, can go up to 5. I just finished training of one today. 
Maybe there's the odd outlier that's 2 slot, never seen such a weakling tho ;)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tsuki Wolves start out as 3 slot, can go up to 5. I just finished training of one today. 
Maybe there's the odd outlier that's 2 slot, never seen such a weakling tho ;)
Ah ok, thought they were 2's. Anyway, are the new drakes not 2? Regardless I don't think the simple potential to learn necromancy should bump such a weak pet up a slot.

I mean is the potential of necromancy worth say the Bake's, 250+ hps, 100+ str, over 200 total resists, and magery + Rage attack?

Or the Tiger's 300-400 hps, 300 strength, 200+ resists, and bleed?

You can really compare them to any 2 slotter and they are just sooooooooooo much weaker.

I just don't see it.

Last edited:

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yea, the new drakes are 2 slots.
I don't know why Necro is such a big deal tho. Corpse Skin gimps their single target damage, for the physical attackers at least.
Unless you plan to use a Wither spammer for champ spawns, but pet AI doesn't spam like players do.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, the new drakes are 2 slots.
I don't know why Necro is such a big deal tho. Corpse Skin gimps their single target damage, for the physical attackers at least.
Unless you plan to use a Wither spammer for champ spawns, but pet AI doesn't spam like players do.
Yeah, there you go. It really seems like an oversight to me.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I don't even really see a need or way to properly utilize a 3 slot pet.
Maybe they did this on purpose, so people don't run around with cats and dogs, killing champions or dragons.
Why they would find that thought bad, I don't know. There's worse things in this game. :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't even really see a need or way to properly utilize a 3 slot pet.
Maybe they did this on purpose, so people don't run around with cats and dogs, killing champions or dragons.
Why they would find that thought bad, I don't know. There's worse things in this game. :)
The annoying thing is if you take a timber wolf, train it up to max, then take a dire wolf and train it to max with the same stats/skills they will be almost exactly the same pet except that the dire takes an extra slot, and is way harder to control. :/

There are worse things, sure, but I had a dire wolf I kept with me most of the time for RP purposes that I was really excited to train up to be useful, and while I can still do that, it's going to be dramatically worse than any other 4 slot pet I could train for no discernible reason.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Seems like a balancing oversight. All "animals" go up to 3, all "monsters" up to 5, was my understanding.
Now what's a Dire Wolf? Animal or monster?

Jibbed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I mean is the potential of necromancy worth say the Bake's, 250+ hps, 100+ str, over 200 total resists, and magery + Rage attack?
Bakes now go to 3 slots when you start training so i wouldnt compare to them. Was quite surprised to see them starting at 3 slots.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bakes now go to 3 slots when you start training so i wouldnt compare to them. Was quite surprised to see them starting at 3 slots.
Weird. Tigers still 2?? If so, dang.