• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why isn't there a timer on giving a murder count.

Should there be an experation timer on giving a murder count.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I've had this happen to me twice...I find a script bot page a GM on it and then murder the poor enslaved soul....half hour sometimes longer I get the message I've been given a murder count...Yea I killed them but does it seem right that a player that is cheating can do something to you after that long a period in return...Should there be a timer on how long a person can wait to give out a count?

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have also had a person "hold" a murder count ... after I attacked him the first time, he went and killed himself, moved the gump off to the side, then came back. I, not knowing that he had done this, assumed I was still in the clear and killed him. I then went red when he used BOTH gumps to count me twice after his second death ....

S

Stucky

I'd love to say that scripters could be a freebie.. but it'll never work out unfortunately.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is an iffy subject I think. If the person is scripting while away from the computer completely then I am inclined to say that they should not be able to count someone for killing them. At the same time the person killing them should expect to receive a count, after all you are killing someone and should take responsibility for it. I do not believe there should be a timer, but if there one it should not be less than 1 hour, or maybe 30 min.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yea I know what you mean, the only people I make a point of killing in Fel are obvious Bots. I'll sit and watch them for 20-30 minutes and try several times to provoke some type of reaction out of them. My view is if they are on auto pilot it makes them easier to track down once the page goes through....Recently I killed a Bot around midnight my time and when I logged 5 hours later I had no counts...next day I log on...1 short term 1 long term....

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have also had a person "hold" a murder count ... after I attacked him the first time, he went and killed himself, moved the gump off to the side, then came back. I, not knowing that he had done this, assumed I was still in the clear and killed him. I then went red when he used BOTH gumps to count me twice after his second death ....
Isn't there a timer now days that say you can only report the same person for murder once every 10 minutes or so?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
This is an iffy subject I think. If the person is scripting while away from the computer completely then I am inclined to say that they should not be able to count someone for killing them. At the same time the person killing them should expect to receive a count, after all you are killing someone and should take responsibility for it. I do not believe there should be a timer, but if there one it should not be less than 1 hour, or maybe 30 min.

Aye I'm of the same mind really I don't mind taking a count from a person that isn't afk but...to have someone running a Bot do it hours later is absurd. That's why I'm in favor of a 30 min timer..even if the persons client crashes he/she should reasonably be able to come back online within that time frame...Server maintenance isn't that long every day I don't believe so that leaves that open too..

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Isn't there a timer now days that say you can only report the same person for murder once every 10 minutes or so?
There may be ... but he definitely manipulated and abused the system to do what he did. I know what he did because he bragged about it ....

S

Stucky

I mean honestly, if they can script what they're doing they can script your count within a second if necessary. Its just another menu.

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dunno, I get the impression there are more people running the scripts then writing them. If the maintainers suddenly weren't seeing murder dialogs when they came back to their seats, they'd probably forget they were ever there; hence it'd never occur to the programmers to add them.

Maybe.

But I don't see any "good" reason why you should be able to give a count half an hour after the event. Is there one? Is there a good reason why you should be able to wait even five minutes?

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted no, let them count whenever simply becuase its hilarious to hold the mark, and let them think you wont count them. let them take another count and then BAM, whoops they're red.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
On a upbeat note though the person in question was whisked away before my very eyes...something I've not seen happen in a long time.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree the idea of going red while bank sitting in trammel seems wrong and I have seen it happen.

I know a good many players that will delay a count so that they can force a player into being red for a day of game time.

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how about making it auto say yes in a few seconds, then you have time to say no if you knew the guy or it was an accident, but if you dont pay attention or you were afk they automatically get the count.

this is about the only way it should be.

it cant auto count you everytime because of sparring or just playing around pvp.
but you should always get a count if you go up and murder someone, speically if they are afk..

Bomb Bloke

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... but you should always get a count if you go up and murder someone, speically if they are afk..
Yeah, cause scripters need all the help they can get, right? Players should certainly be discouraged from messing with them.

Seriously though, who sits AFK in Fel for more then a few minutes?

W

Wynne

There should be a timer. A player I know killed one of those sleepy enslaved souls and received a murder count some 4 hours later. The limit should be maximum of an hour; sometimes internet connections go nuts and it might take a while to get back in game.

Absolutely NO to automatic murder counts. Guild sparring? Accidental hit of guild mate in heat of a battle with a monster? (I have done this!) Next, we'll have some tamers giving their pets murder counts automatically as they mistargeted the all kill towards themselves! (I regret that I have done this, too.)

B

BartofCats

whomever said that there should be a HALF HOUR timer... wow.. why not give them 2 or 3 days?? im sorry, if said person is AFK and you happen to wander over and kill them, they should loose the gump for giving the murder count within 15 mins. if they happen to be logged out in the 15 mins they loose the gump completely. We are talkin about a murder count, not a vet reward.