• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why is murder okay in online games but **** is not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
As far as I know, no sexual content exists in any mainstream mmo, including the consensual type. I can't speak for the UK, but in the US, I think violence in media--video games, movies, television, etc.--is more culturally accepted than sex in media. Until you convince video game makers to put sex in mainstream games, there's really no argument for the inclusion of ****.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as I know, no sexual content exists in any mainstream mmo, including the consensual type. I can't speak for the UK, but in the US, I think violence in media--video games, movies, television, etc.--is more culturally accepted than sex in media. Until you convince video game makers to put sex in mainstream games, there's really no argument for the inclusion of ****.

I don't want it in video games mate. Why is murder okay but **** is not? You didn't answer the question, but thanks for your input.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
As I mentioned in my post, in the US, violence in media--video games, movies, television, etc.--is more culturally accepted than sex in media. That's the answer.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I mentioned in my post, in the US, violence in media--video games, movies, television, etc.--is more culturally accepted than sex in media. That's the answer.
Yes you are stating the truth but you are not saying WHY????

K

Kiminality

I would imagine it stems from cultural views on it.
Off the top of my head, I'd suggest two factors:
1.) The rate of murder is high enough that, not to diminish the severity of the crime, but people grow desensitised to the concept of it. People hear about murder, and it's ultimately one among a great many similar instances of the crime. Incidences of **** are fewer, which means that they have a greater psychological impact on those hearing about it.
2.) Murder victims don't survive, so the only reminder of the crime is the victim's friends/family. **** victims often survive, and although it varies, ultimately have their lives ruined to some extent.
So I guess because people are more desensitised to murder, it becomes more acceptable.

Plus, games have a long history of the challenge being to "kill" something. So murder in an MMO isn't much of a step away from the norm.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because **** involves sex. Sex is bad no matter what its content is and must be kept in a secret room where you need to know where to go to access it as a third party.

But murder a thousand men and televise it it's perfectly fine.

U

uoBuoY

I'm confused, why you guys think "...violence in media--video games, movies, television, etc.--is more culturally accepted than sex in media...".

Do you listen to music, go to movies, browse a magazine rack, watch television (programs & ads), see billboars/transit ads? Strikes me that there's a hell of lot of sex going on. One good example is Law And Order SVU. It has sexy detectives in tight/revealing clothing and half the plot lines involve ****.

The thing is people are fascinated by sex and sex sells.

Why killing and not ****? Maybe...men need to feel they can protect their females and **** takes away that ability in the worst possible way. Killing is something I would rationalize to protect myself and my females. I couldn't **** for any rational reason.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You can see people get murdered--including blood, gore, bullet holes, broken bones, corpses in varying states of decay, severed limbs, etc.--on network television. You cannot see any detail vis-a-vis sex on network television. Tight clothing is a poor comparison.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm confused, why you guys think "...violence in media--video games, movies, television, etc.--is more culturally accepted than sex in media...".

Do you listen to music, go to movies, browse a magazine rack, watch television (programs & ads), see billboars/transit ads? Strikes me that there's a hell of lot of sex going on. One good example is Law And Order SVU. It has sexy detectives in tight/revealing clothing and half the plot lines involve ****.

The thing is people are fascinated by sex and sex sells.

Why killing and not ****? Maybe...men need to feel they can protect their females and **** takes away that ability in the worst possible way. Killing is something I would rationalize to protect myself and my females. I couldn't **** for any rational reason.
The fun of it?

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
**** is not about sex, it's about power, humiliation and domination.

M

Major Miner II

The basic facts are this:

Murder is possible, **** is not.

A woman will always be able to run faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Mishkam

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anyone want to take a stab at this?
STABBITY,STABBITY,STABBITY,STABBITY,STABBITY,STABBITY,

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mods can you please remove the usual trolls' posts from this thread rather than locking it.

simonovsk

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main reason I see is that killing people is an activity that can be acceptable under certain circumstances, while raping is not.

Besides, **** is considered a crime in most places even in times of war while killings are encouraged.

What would be the point of giving people the ability to **** others in a game anyway?

BlissMarie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is a good question and makes for an interesting and perplexing discussion topic. Good job, hen.

I have thought it might be several things, most of which were already mentioned by others, so I didn't take time to reply. It is probably due to a variety of things, with some of those carrying more weight than others.

It seems to me that the murder/yes - ****/no issue goes far beyond online games. This is an extremely simple version of my thoughts on this, and I am not going to take time to expound on it tonight. I just wanted to go ahead and post this much, because I keep putting off replying to this thread. Bear with me.

I've begun to think that perhaps the murder/**** exposure is unequal, because males still have most of the authority in this world and the males decided **** won't be published.

For many people, **** is taboo. Not only the act, itself, but talk of it and perhaps even thinking of it.

I think that ultimately this is because of how men feel about women, particularly 'their' women ... their wives, daughters, mothers, other relatives and friends. I think males are opposed to the idea someone having sex, especially forced sex, with someone they care about.

I honestly think very little of it has to do with their concern for the women themselves. I think most men would be opposed to it even if the females were not and even if it weren't illegal. Again, I think it has to do with the men themselves and how they feel about it. I don't think the root of their opposition is based on concerns for a woman's emotions, etc.

That's all for now.

BlissMarie

simonovsk

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Mary, that's very good thinking!

So do you reckon you wouldn't enjoy getting ****d then?

simonovsk

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still think my point made the more sense and that I expressed it in the more concise and understandable way.

Z

Zilor

Skip to bold for the jist!

There are a few reasons **** as an in game action has never entered into a mainstream online computer game in the US, not sure about other countries, and they mainly deal with the fact that you are either asking the user to do something so horrible and life shattering that it just can't be put into a context of fun. No matter how you put **** into a game it can't be fun, unless there is something wrong with the person playing the game with **** that they'd actually find that situation enjoyable to play. Then what do you do after you **** someone, you kill them? In an online game, all you have left after **** is murder really.

That assumes you're the one raping, which also assumes a desire to **** in the first place. PKs were one kind of hunter, but Player-Rapists (PR)? That would consist of some seriously sick people who had some issues about sex and dominating others that they wanted to express.

So now lets say you are the victim of a PR, your character can't move, maybe there are more than one PR there and you have no chance of escape, they've already taken your armor and weapons, it's theirs now, and you're theirs now too. So for as long as these PR feel the need to Virtually Gang **** you your stuck, powerless, and being used in the worst way possible.

An let us not forget how much of a turn-off a ****-Enabled game would be to a woman looking to play an MMO, "Hmmmm, 'WoW' or 'Awesome Quest With Virtual Raping' because you know that women would be instantly turned off by the idea of being, you know, ****D. So it would be a bunch of dudes raping each other to proved they are better Awesome Quest players. God forbid one of them used the female character model in game, cause lets be realistic, looking like a woman with all the curves and beauty of an athletic warrioress would be like putting a target directly on her ass, literally. So the game would be populated by Men playing as Men with a few Elite Men playing as Women, or Men playing as Women who like to watch the ****, or any other sort of disturbing scenario you may conjure.

So, logically knowing this why would men play if they knew there advances, well, ****s were against men and not some woman they have delusionaly dreamed up on the other end of the tubes enjoying every second of her ****.

They wouldn't play it, a game with **** is like giving the green light to the ultimate griefer tactic.
Darrel: "What happened to you Rick? You're walking funny."
Rick: "Well Darrel; I got ****d while I was mining, then I got ****d at the market buying apples for my horse, then I got ****d walking home, and then when I got HE was there and he ****d me for 45 minutes before he left. So, I'm a little sore in the rear area."
Darrel: "Damn, that's a pretty easy day man, I got ****d 37 times one day."

So, in an online game, it will never happen cause it takes control away from the player and gives total control to another player, its demoralizing and demeaning, it all but removes the female demographic from your game, it would come down to men raping men to see who ****d the most. Also the people who would want to **** others and would enjoy the mechanic would be seriously messed up, as in "That player escape from my raping, I'm going to find him in Real Life and kill his dog." kind of crazy.

!!!HOWEVER!!!
I think **** in single player gaming experiences can be used to develop characters and events in a powerful way that could move the player, or see into darker sides of characters, or all manner of uses for storytelling. As in I recently saw The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the **** scene in that really disturbed me and made me hate the character that did it, I hated watching it, but I saw it for what it was for, a drastic way to develop the character of the rapist. That could also be used in games.

I never think we should have direct control of Raping an NPC or Player, we can be the victim and try to escape sure, and even the rapist, but the actions for the rapist have to be carefully chosen so as not to make it to visceral and definitely has to make it look as horrible of a thing as it is.

Also, any and all **** content in any game should never be tied to a trophy, gamer score, achievement, completion, and should be skip able. Bad things have happened to a lot of people and they may not want to go through it again virtually.

And that's all i have to say, which was a lot.

No idea if anyone even remembers me, lol.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, any and all **** content in any game should never be tied to a trophy, gamer score, achievement, completion, and should be skip able. Bad things have happened to a lot of people and they may not want to go through it again virtually.
Using that logic, the same needs to go for stealing, cars being destroyed, murder, falling in holes, breaking bones, losing a loved one...

yars

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1 death is a tragedy, 1mil deaths is a statistic-joseph stalin

murder makes a void
**** fills it

Z

Zezak

Well first off the owners of the game can choose to do whatever they want with their game. We agreed to the rules and one of them is that saying "****" will get you banned.

Reasons why, in general, people see murder "ok" in games and such but not **** is probably because of peoples views on sex in general.

Even healthy normal sexual interaction is something parents won't even teach their kids about. Adults see abstinence as a good thing especially for teens (even though teens are just as ready for sex and wanting sex as any adult). Boys are often pressured to get sex while girls are pressured the other way... both have negative impacts.

So since normal sex is seen as bad and often seen in a sexist way one can only imagine how bad **** is seen.

Contrary to this "lesser" violence is often celebrated. Many sports are often "violent" and people of all ages take part. A lot of music (in many genres) celebrates violence and being "tough" and what not. Our over competitive society doesn't help this. So since "lesser" violence is more or less accepted it is much easier for people to accept severe violence... at least in imaginary planes or if they feel it is justified such as war.

BTW my personal opinion really isn't said in my little bit up there lol

simonovsk

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So why don't you spit it out instead or recycling what's been said before?

Z

Zezak

So why don't you spit it out instead or recycling what's been said before?
Well I am assuming you are talking to me soooo

We should be more open to healthy sexual interactions... in fact not just "more open" but totally see nothing wrong or bad or shameful about it. Same with the violence in sports... mainly anything consensual should be seen as ok. While one may not like it that is their opinion and they should be free to refrain from it but there should not be bans on things because someone doesn't like it (as long as it is consensual)

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK I will.
Have you ever been ****d?. It is generally considered demoralizing violent and one of one of the most heinous crimes. If you want that type of interaction ,their are sexual role play mmo's out there .You might even find a deviant here that would accommodate you. However I doubt that you will get any "I wanna be the victim " takers;"pick me!" A rapist is a sick minded individual often a sociopath with abnormal sexual tendencies. How would it look on screen ...."The bandit ****s you" And you counteraction Is.... what?

That would put any game in a triple x rating.
Murder in this genre is considered pvp at best . It has a counterpart you fight back
Does that do it?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ignore him, Luvmylace. He's just trying to get a reaction from you.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK I will.
Have you ever been ****d?. It is generally considered demoralizing violent and one of one of the most heinous crimes. If you want that type of interaction ,their are sexual role play mmo's out there .You might even find a deviant here that would accommodate you. However I doubt that you will get any "I wanna be the victim " takers;"pick me!" A rapist is a sick minded individual often a sociopath with abnormal sexual tendencies. How would it look on screen ...."The bandit ****s you" And you counteraction Is.... what?

That would put any game in a triple x rating.
Murder in this genre is considered pvp at best . It has a counterpart you fight back
Does that do it?
Are you asking me this question?

If so why do you think it is appropriate on this forum to ask such a thing?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Z

Zezak

Have you ever been ****d?
I personally don't like the argument that the word **** should be banned since people have been ****d. To be honest raping another persons character has no legitimate reason to be in most games (including UO). If it does... well just because there are **** victims shouldn't make people feel bad for playing or making the game.

A rapist is a sick minded individual often a sociopath with abnormal sexual tendencies.
Actually the sad part is they often are not born sociopaths and the reasons are often for power. Though I do agree that they are sick minded. Sad thing is that what makes people rapists is often preventable.

How would it look on screen ...."The bandit ****s you" And you counteraction Is.... what?
Exactly... it wouldn't make sense in this game. Though I don't think the word **** should be banned the action has no place in UO or most games.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Status
Not open for further replies.