• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why in this order? city merge.

F

frogger2

just wondering and im sure thiers a post on this so please just move this to it lol. ok why was AV BF slated for last cities to move and why was East Jarome bumped off the first city to move? Im soooo upset here I moved from IH to EJ just because the DEVS siad that EJ was going to be the first city to move. and Im sure thier a few other players feeling a bit jerked around too about the change of plans. Interesting they cancelled production city moves with exception to EALAND just befor they announced the change nice killjoy thier DEVS lol. a player in old AV BF EJ and MF.

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

just wondering and im sure thiers a post on this so please just move this to it lol. ok why was AV BF slated for last cities to move and why was East Jarome bumped off the first city to move? Im soooo upset here I moved from IH to EJ just because the DEVS siad that EJ was going to be the first city to move. and Im sure thier a few other players feeling a bit jerked around too about the change of plans. Interesting they cancelled production city moves with exception to EALAND just befor they announced the change nice killjoy thier DEVS lol. a player in old AV BF EJ and MF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't feel bad, I have whiplash already.

G

I highly doubt they did all of this just to mess with us. I'm pretty sure the reasoning would be something along the lines of this, and after taking that into consideration, possibly the sizes of the cities, among other variables.

F

frogger2

If that was so...wheres the post to tell us why the change? lol

G

The link I posted in my last response summarizes it pretty well.

G

lets put it in plain words so you can read it right here:

Hosting TSO in EA-Land
Posted in Uncategorized, City Merge by Greg on the February 21st, 2008
We’ve got a bunch of stuff to talk about regarding cities shutting down, moves (a.k.a. bullet trains), and merges. We figure you need this infomation to make informed decisions about managing your sims and their data. First, let’s go over (the important stuff) the schedule over the next few days:

AV, BF, CC, DG, EJ, FF, IH, JP, MF, DC will be shutting down permanently today (February 21, 2008) at 2 P.M. PST.
Monday or Tuesday (February 25 or 26, 2008) we will perform the first city merge. However, it may NOT be East Jerome (as previously decided). Instead, it will be Dragon’s Cove. (see background below).
Merges will continue until all cities are completed. There will be a pause for other work.
As you might have guessed, the order of merges may need to be adjusted slightly.
Betaville Sims may be eligible to move shortly, however, it might be sims only (no objects, houses, or simoleans). We will be running tests internally over the next few days.
Monday, March 3, 2008 at 8:00 A.M. PST. Test Center 3 will go offline for a data center migration. We expect the down to be between 2-4 hours.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at 8:00 A.M. PST. EA-Land will go offline for a data center migration. This will happen only if the data migration for Test Center 3 is okay.
Background

The cities for EA-Land and TSO are divided into two data centers: one located on the U.S. east coast and the other on the U.S. west coast. The cities are currently divided as follows:

East Coast: AV, BF, CC, DG, EJ, FF, BV (and the original TC)
West Coast: IH, JP, DC, MF, EA-Land, and TC3.
Without going into the “why’s” and the “what for’s,” by April 1, 2008 we need to look like this:

East Coast: EA-Land, Test Center3
West Coast: none.
Merges

Mark, Paul, and others on the team have been working very hard to get the merges working. We think we are ready. However, in final tests we discovered data transfers between East Jerome (currently on the east coast) and EA-Land (currently on the west coast) took 8-10 times our internal testing timings. We think this is because of the need to transfer the data across the country. What should take less than a few hours, is 8-10 times slower per city. To put this in perspective, biggers cities would be measured in 5-10 days. Today we are running tests between Dragon’s Cove (west coast) to EA-Land (west coast), if our timing tests match our previous good tests then we will proceed with Dragon’s Cove.

If you recall the previous order of merges was:

EJ, DG, CC, AV, DC, IH, FF, JP, BF, MF, BV (bolded cities are west coast)
Instead next week, and next week only, we will merge the west coast cities (DC, IH, JP, and MF). However, we will merge only one city at time and make sure evertything is okay before proceeding to the next. That means we may only get Dragon’s Cove done and no other west coast city.

We then begin the migration of Test Center 3 and EA-Land to the east coast. During this time, behind the scenes we are migrating the other west coast cities (DC, IH, JP, and MF) to the East Coast.

Once EA-Land is safely in it’s new home, we will resume the merges. Only then we will be on the east coast so we will go back to the original list, i.e., East Jerome will be first up.

While all the above is happening, one or two members of the team will be walking around mumbling, writing on white-boards, occasionally typing code and running tests regarding the Betaville sims. Meaning, they will be trying to figure out why we got Sim guy heads stuck on pets or Sim gals without heads at all, and figuring out how to fix it.

The minimum we will provide for Betaville is Sim only moves. We will be looking at the move and merge code to see if there are ways of modifying it for Betaville. Hopefully more to come regarding that.

Conclusion

TSO legacy cities will be shutting down at 2:eek:o P.M. PST today permanantly. Trains will resume after this time.
Until we have EA-Land safely in its new east coast home, we will proceed to merge west coast cities in the following order: DC, IH, JP, MF
Once EA-Land is transfered to the east coast, the original randomized merge order will be resumed.
Betaville remains a work in progress, and we are doing everything possible to merge as much as possible to EA-Land.

G

They had a post explaining why. It has something to do with the servers being on west and east coast I beleive. I cant remember the whole reason as I seem to forget anything that happend yesterday lately lol.

G

<blockquote><hr>

lets put it in plain words so you can read it right here:

Hosting TSO in EA-Land
Posted in Uncategorized, City Merge by Greg on the February 21st, 2008
We’ve got a bunch of stuff to talk about regarding cities shutting down, moves (a.k.a. bullet trains), and merges. We figure you need this infomation to make informed decisions about managing your sims and their data. First, let’s go over (the important stuff) the schedule over the next few days:

AV, BF, CC, DG, EJ, FF, IH, JP, MF, DC will be shutting down permanently today (February 21, 2008) at 2 P.M. PST.
Monday or Tuesday (February 25 or 26, 2008) we will perform the first city merge. However, it may NOT be East Jerome (as previously decided). Instead, it will be Dragon’s Cove. (see background below).
Merges will continue until all cities are completed. There will be a pause for other work.
As you might have guessed, the order of merges may need to be adjusted slightly.
Betaville Sims may be eligible to move shortly, however, it might be sims only (no objects, houses, or simoleans). We will be running tests internally over the next few days.
Monday, March 3, 2008 at 8:00 A.M. PST. Test Center 3 will go offline for a data center migration. We expect the down to be between 2-4 hours.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008 at 8:00 A.M. PST. EA-Land will go offline for a data center migration. This will happen only if the data migration for Test Center 3 is okay.
Background

The cities for EA-Land and TSO are divided into two data centers: one located on the U.S. east coast and the other on the U.S. west coast. The cities are currently divided as follows:

East Coast: AV, BF, CC, DG, EJ, FF, BV (and the original TC)
West Coast: IH, JP, DC, MF, EA-Land, and TC3.
Without going into the “why’s” and the “what for’s,” by April 1, 2008 we need to look like this:

East Coast: EA-Land, Test Center3
West Coast: none.
Merges

Mark, Paul, and others on the team have been working very hard to get the merges working. We think we are ready. However, in final tests we discovered data transfers between East Jerome (currently on the east coast) and EA-Land (currently on the west coast) took 8-10 times our internal testing timings. We think this is because of the need to transfer the data across the country. What should take less than a few hours, is 8-10 times slower per city. To put this in perspective, biggers cities would be measured in 5-10 days. Today we are running tests between Dragon’s Cove (west coast) to EA-Land (west coast), if our timing tests match our previous good tests then we will proceed with Dragon’s Cove.

If you recall the previous order of merges was:

EJ, DG, CC, AV, DC, IH, FF, JP, BF, MF, BV (bolded cities are west coast)
Instead next week, and next week only, we will merge the west coast cities (DC, IH, JP, and MF). However, we will merge only one city at time and make sure evertything is okay before proceeding to the next. That means we may only get Dragon’s Cove done and no other west coast city.

We then begin the migration of Test Center 3 and EA-Land to the east coast. During this time, behind the scenes we are migrating the other west coast cities (DC, IH, JP, and MF) to the East Coast.

Once EA-Land is safely in it’s new home, we will resume the merges. Only then we will be on the east coast so we will go back to the original list, i.e., East Jerome will be first up.

While all the above is happening, one or two members of the team will be walking around mumbling, writing on white-boards, occasionally typing code and running tests regarding the Betaville sims. Meaning, they will be trying to figure out why we got Sim guy heads stuck on pets or Sim gals without heads at all, and figuring out how to fix it.

The minimum we will provide for Betaville is Sim only moves. We will be looking at the move and merge code to see if there are ways of modifying it for Betaville. Hopefully more to come regarding that.

Conclusion

TSO legacy cities will be shutting down at 2:eek:o P.M. PST today permanantly. Trains will resume after this time.
Until we have EA-Land safely in its new east coast home, we will proceed to merge west coast cities in the following order: DC, IH, JP, MF
Once EA-Land is transfered to the east coast, the original randomized merge order will be resumed.
Betaville remains a work in progress, and we are doing everything possible to merge as much as possible to EA-Land.

[/ QUOTE ]

So we are all thinking that EJ, DG, CC, AV, will all be next week unless MF goes fast and EA-Land and TC 3 move with no problems?

G

Bearing in mind that JP took around 24 hours to merge and AV is MUCH bigger, it wouldn't surprise me if AV took the best part of a week to merge in itself.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Patience folks patience.....

I had thought about moving and building houses in some of the 'going first' cities...but decided to just be patient and my MF'rs would get to EAland sooner or later....I didn't raise a fuss long ago to save MF just to move out at the very end.

It seems to me as though a lot of thought and consideration has been put into a smooth and speedy merge process.....and even though it moves MF up the list for merging...but because of the lengthy explanation as to the actual process...I feel confident that the Team will get the cities merged as quickly and as successfully as possible.

And really....it looks like the first merges went well and the next city on the slot to be merged is probably already in the process of being merged. (Hopefully its the MFr's?...When MF is finally up and online in EAland...you guys will know where to find me....hugging my trees in MF....muahaha....wait-~they are in EAland already!)

G

MF was suppose to start merging after Maintance Last night from what Maxis Greg said to me in game! So Keep on moving!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

MF was suppose to start merging after Maintance Last night from what Maxis Greg said to me in game! So Keep on moving!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Naw....I wouldn't have moved my MFr's for anything in the world. Thankfully, this is the very last move my sims will ever need make. Won't that be nice? No more praying when we hit that 'move sim' button.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Naw....I wouldn't have moved my MFr's for anything in the world. Thankfully, this is the very last move my sims will ever need make. Won't that be nice? No more praying when we hit that 'move sim' button.

[/ QUOTE ]
Last move?
You mean you aren't going to check out the upcoming "Lunar City" when TSO moves out into the solar system?

Simmmmmmmmmmmsssss innnnnnnnnnnnnn spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!

I plan on opening the very first low-gravity skill lot. "Celestial Mechanics". We will specialize in... duh... Mech, with a splash of Body (gotta keep in shape, what with the low-gravity and all). We won't be havin' any mechanical bulls, tho - don't wanna launch guests into low orbit.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Last move?
You mean you aren't going to check out the upcoming "Lunar City" when TSO moves out into the solar system?

I plan on opening the very first low-gravity skill lot. "Celestial Mechanics". We will specialize in... duh... Mech, with a splash of Body (gotta keep in shape, what with the low-gravity and all). We won't be havin' any mechanical bulls, tho - don't wanna launch guests into low orbit.

[/ QUOTE ]

*whispers to Donavon*...You been sniffin' a little wacky weed recently and didn't share it with the rest of us?

And no.....sniffin your canine is not the same as sniffin your canabis.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Last move?

[/ QUOTE ]

*whispers to Donavon*...You been sniffin' a little wacky weed recently and didn't share it with the rest of us?

And no.....sniffin your canine is not the same as sniffin your canabis.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pshaw!
I don't need none of that druggie stuff! I get high the natural way!
Liquor.