• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why does the option to NOT auto-renew insurance exist?

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And why isn't it defaulted to ON? Newbs come in and don't realize the game defaults to "you only wanna keep your items one time" and lose their crap. I hear it in New Haven on Atlantic all the time.

Why should NOT auto-renewing even be an option?

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think it's there for lazy penny-pinching misers like myself.

Scenario - I am hunting dragons in Despise with a bunch of guildies. Dragons don't loot and my guildies would give me enough support to loot my stuff back. So I don't need insurance on.

However, I'd already paid the 600 gp insurance for each piece of my suit. Instead of toggling insurance off for each piece, which does not refund me the 600 gp, I want to get my money's worth for what I already paid for. So if I just disable auto-renew, I would still have my stuff insured for 1 single death...told ya I'm a cheapskate...

ps: Just to check, the 600 gp is deducted immediately when the item is insured (or auto re-insured upon death) right?

J

jelinidas

I think it's there for lazy penny-pinching misers like myself.

Scenario - I am hunting dragons in Despise with a bunch of guildies. Dragons don't loot and my guildies would give me enough support to loot my stuff back. So I don't need insurance on.

However, I'd already paid the 600 gp insurance for each piece of my suit. Instead of toggling insurance off for each piece, which does not refund me the 600 gp, I want to get my money's worth for what I already paid for. So if I just disable auto-renew, I would still have my stuff insured for 1 single death...told ya I'm a cheapskate...

ps: Just to check, the 600 gp is deducted immediately when the item is insured (or auto re-insured upon death) right?
I hate to say it but this almost make sense. I was reading and nodding in agreement...until THIS!!
It still should be default on. Always default on to help newbies or me! Lord knows I need it.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Upon insuring, the 600gp per item is deducted immediately. Then, if auto-renew is on, upon death the items are all insured again, deducting the 600gp per item immediately.

I too didn't always use the Auto-Renew at times, sometimes for reasons like you have said. Other times when I was getting low on gold and knew I would be hunting somewhere I could get back to my body in time, I wouldn't use it then either.

I do agree in part, however that the Auto-Renew should be defaulted to ON instead of OFF. I've fallen victim to that folly of ignorance before and was quite ticked.

S

sbom

And why isn't it defaulted to ON? Newbs come in and don't realize the game defaults to "you only wanna keep your items one time" and lose their crap. I hear it in New Haven on Atlantic all the time.

I'm guessing the default it as-is because new players typically don't have much gold, and there is a very good chance that even if they are able to pay for the initial insurance, they won't have enough in bank to cover past the first death, which means they would lose their items thinking they are still insured.
Also, new players often suffer the "multiple consecutive deaths" syndrome, which would cost them a lot of gold if they had the auto-insure ON.

When players become more aware and rich, they can make the decision!

A

Arch Magus

I hate the option to NOT auto-renew.

Terrible, terrible option.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember way back in the beginning that they had the option to insta-res at a significant loss of your skills?

I consider the option of not renewing insurance along the same level of stupid. There should be two options for insurance, on-and-renew or off.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless you wear really cheap gear and die a lot, there's no way that's economical. One artifact or nice crafted piece lost because the shard crashed, or your power went out, or whatever, will set you back more gold than hundreds of deaths.

Lurker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Default on is all well and good until it eats up all your $$. Why can't folks pay attention and read things and learn how the game works instead of asking that the game do everything for you?

Just wondering.

Default off. It only takes losing your stuff once to learn your lesson.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless you wear really cheap gear and die a lot, there's no way that's economical. One artifact or nice crafted piece lost because the shard crashed, or your power went out, or whatever, will set you back more gold than hundreds of deaths.
Good point, I mainly use cheap suits on most of my chars too :p Mostly patchwork 100% LRC/MR suits with crappy resists.

Then again, under most circumstances, newbies don't have to worry about expensive arties either...

If they join a guild and get a patron to equip them with arties, they should be able to instruct the newbie on insurance.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see the logic in this question. It was the way auto renew was implemented. IIRC there was no auto renew when insurance came out. Of course folks didn't care much for manually re insuring everything each time they died so the devs added auto renew shortly after. I'm kind of fuzzy on that though.

My guess from this point was that since it was added as an enhancement to an existing system and not designed in the system originally....it was built as a toggled feature. I'd like to see it changed though. Maybe make auto renew a given but give you your gold back if you un-insure it.

K

Kratos Aurion

A good reason why it shouldn't be an option is because...

GOLD SINK! hello? we all want one [gold sink]. If we want insurance we should have to pay for it upon every death. It shouldn't be optional unless you uninsure your items.

S

Sarphus

I've always thought (and posted in the KR Beta focus group) that the default status for auto-renew insurance should be "ON".

In other words, when you make a character, it should toggle your auto-renew to on and give you the option to toggle it to off if you don't want it on.

Almost no one would want to have auto-renew insurance off, though.

G

Ghost_Writer

Yes it should be on by default. In fact if I remember correctly, off by default was a mistake when KR went live, and a warning was posted by the Dev team.

However, along with the reason mentioned above, being short on funds and choosing to take a risk rather than loose insurance money, there are 2 other reasons. Those who like to take an occational challenge of doing dungeons without insurance and being forced to recover their corpse, and lastly, I didn't see anyone mention PvP practice sessions. Assuming of course you are practicing with people you trust with your armor, why loose 6K everytime you die just to practice with friends.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Default on is all well and good until it eats up all your $$. Why can't folks pay attention and read things and learn how the game works instead of asking that the game do everything for you?

Just wondering.

Default off. It only takes losing your stuff once to learn your lesson.
Most unproductive post ever. Basically you posted to say "F**k newbs, let 'em lose their stuff! Having an interface that makes sense is for LAZY people!"