Why do people bother suggesting changes to UO still?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
F

Fox (Europa)

I see on this forum's first page suggestions for pirate expansions, orcs, house signs, shard mergers, taming changes, smelting changes, new skills, changes to item bless deeds...and that's just what has been posted about in the last few days. Yet when was the last time the devs implemented a change players requested? Years.

So why do people bother making suggestions still? UO is run on a shoestring to milk whatever can be got out of the last few players and so the dev team are not going to implement anything but the bare essentials to keep it running. This includes the promise of another half-baked expansion with no shelf presence in the dim and distant future, an expansion that has already been canned at least once and stands an almost 100% chance of being canned again.

Folks should just get realistic and enjoy the game for its minor niche status and stop wasting time asking for stuff that will never ever happen.

Fox

F

Flora Green

While I agree it's pretty much a waste of time putting suggestions out, I don't consider it a waste of THEIR time. If anything it's a waste of OUR time. It's not as if any of them bother with communicating with us beyond an occasional post every few days to weeks and usually those are fluff posts.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 13, 2003
STEALTHING .... behind U
I disagree Foxy..

People power is a big thing!!! and lets be fair the devs read/listened and produced basically the same ''turn-in list '' for the spring clean up as what most peeps were asking /demanding on these boards to be turned in...

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 24, 2003
Keep posting those ideas! UO lives as long as it's customers still care to hope. This has been a bad year with the move and all. The devs needed this time to dig in and rebuild internally. They have hired new staff, they are still trying. And for what we put them through they obviously care about this game.

D

D'Amavir

Because there are other things than asking for stuff that gets ignored. Duh!

Fox
Then feel free to do those other things. But don't expect those that haven't given up on the dream of getting improvements made to the game they love to do so. As long as the threads are used as a way to trigger communication and the sharing of ideas, why would it be a bad thing?

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
Folks should just get realistic and enjoy the game for its minor niche status and stop wasting time asking for stuff that will never ever happen.

Fox
Yeah, Stratics should just squelch all personal opinion of the players of UO. I mean come on, there are much better things to take up their bandwidth with...la

M

MYUO

Players post here making suggestions because they care about the game. Sure, the suggestions made here usually go a long way to get implemented in game. But without them, it will take even longer for dev to add commodity deed box, soul stones, house resizing and random placing timer, player vendor price delay, new plants and other contents into the game. It will take even longer for dev to do something about duping/scripting.
The current two lead designers have been pretty good at interacting with players. They are among the most player friendly designers in UO.

R

Rainforest

While i agree that they may not take the players 's suggestion most of the time, that doesnt mean " UO is run on a shoestring to milk whatever can be got out of the last few players and so the dev team are not going to implement anything but the bare essentials to keep it running " (quote).

What's wrong with u today?

A

Aboo

. . .So why do people bother making suggestions still? UO is run on a shoestring to milk whatever can be got out of the last few players and so the dev team are not going to implement anything but the bare essentials to keep it running. . .
If people did what you suggested then UO would surely die. It lives because some people here care enough to suggest things, sometimes even knowing it might not happen.

D

Dicimiie

I see on this forum's first page suggestions for pirate expansions, orcs, house signs, shard mergers, taming changes, smelting changes, new skills, changes to item bless deeds...and that's just what has been posted about in the last few days. Yet when was the last time the devs implemented a change players requested? Years.

So why do people bother making suggestions still? UO is run on a shoestring to milk whatever can be got out of the last few players and so the dev team are not going to implement anything but the bare essentials to keep it running. This includes the promise of another half-baked expansion with no shelf presence in the dim and distant future, an expansion that has already been canned at least once and stands an almost 100% chance of being canned again.

Fox
The reason is quite simple. There are those of us that enjoy or enjoyed the game and would like to see it continue to improve. The players sometimes have good ideas that really should be shared, even though they may never get into the game. It allows for conversation, debate and brainstorming. And if nothing else, it shows the development team that we care about the game.

I do not personally play anymore, since my playstyle (blacksmith) was altered in such a way that I no longer enjoyed playing. I'm hopeful that changes are made to bring my playstyle back, either directly or via some other equally enjoyable way. So I post suggestions, such as a repair gump replacing repair deeds (yeah... plugging this simple suggestion yet again).

L

Lore Master

Because every now and then on a rare occasion an idea suggested here gets some attention and consideration.
  • I believe bod books, rune books and gold checks to name a few things where suggested here before they ever came to be from what i heard.
Sure 99 percent of our ideas wont come to be but theres always that 1 percent chance they might come to pass. it doesnt hurt to ask worst thing that will happen is it gets ignored or the answer is no.
  • The dev teams though very smart cant think of everything on a rare occasion a great idea posted here gets considered or implemented.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 22, 2004
Rochester, NY
illandril.net
Yet when was the last time the devs implemented a change players requested? Years.
Lets see...
Publish 55 contained the following player requested changes (some others may have been player requested as well, but I remember seeing these requests)...
* Additional Red healers will spawn in Felucca around the moongates (except Minoc and Buccaneer's Den.)
* Fixed the issue with players receiving the message “You cannot use this ability while mounted” when they failed to Stealth
* Fixed an issue with pets and criminal flagging
* Arcane gloves can now be repaired by tailors and with a tailoring repair deed
* Spellbooks are now disarmable
* Players no longer turn grey when they use the spell Polymorph
* Added two new items to the Ingredients section of the Cooking gump
o Cocoa Liquor requires 0 skill, 1 cocoa pulp, one pewter bowl, and a heat source
o Cocoa Butter requires 0 skill, 1 cocoa pulp, and a heat source
o For more information about cocoa pulp, see the Gardening section below
* Rate Over Time System Changes - Siege Perilous Only
* New plants
* New Vet Rewards (maybe not Tree Stumps, Ore Carts, and Minotaur Statue)

Upcoming changes that we know of...
Embuing sounds very similar to a system proposed by players
Adding Stygian Abyss as a dungeon has often been requested by players, usually urging that the devs stay true to how the dungeon looked in Ultima Underworld.
Playable Gargoyles have been requested by players.
More reasons to play factions.

All player requested.

R

Radun

why do people whine and moan so much about so little still?:owned:
oh boooohoooooo people are suggesting changes.....

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Cats/Europa
Lets see...
* New Vet Rewards (maybe not Tree Stumps, Ore Carts, and Minotaur Statue)

All player requested.
Tree stumps and ore carts were also player suggestions.

Most pubs have more player suggested changes than additions or fixes that weren't made by players.

L

Locker

Personally I don't understand why people try to get other folks not to post. If a thread is a waste of your time then DON'T READ IT. Why would you possibly try to encourage people not to express their ideas?

Additionally maybe something is bothering me and just the act of posting it to get it out of my system makes me feel better. My post isn't for you, it's for me and I decide what is or is not a waste of my time.

Peace,

Locker