• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why are we losing all the vets?

• Thread starter Stealth Caster
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

Stealth Caster

I have no been playing Siege for 4 months and lately it does seem to me that we ae losing a lot of the veteran players on here for one reason or another. The main reason I am seeing is that they are fed up with the way the game is being played by some and that EA won't do anything about it.

I for one started playing UO 9 months go. A buddy and I decided to play UO instead of other games for a few reasons. 1, I liked the idea in UO that you get so many different choices on how you can play the game that you are not fixed by a class system like most other games. Especially WoW. If you really look at it the templates a person can create on here is endless. Which makes the game more enjoyable for many.

Secondly I liked the idea that when you killed someone you were able to loot there body. From what I understand you cannot do that on WoW. That in itself makes it more enjoyable as you have to always watch your back. 3rd I liked the house option in UO and no other game has that.

So in my opinion, EA/UO has done a lot to make this game different than the others which is why a lot of people probably play it. Because the graphics is way better in many other games.

I also have an account on legends where I used to play, and I hopped on there the other day to check it out. It seems to be highly populated. I see people saying that UO is folding under and dying, but by the looks of the other shards I would disagree.

To me siege is dying but it is not necessarily from the lack of change from UO/EA. I believe and have stated it is from the players that play the game. Yes I do believe that the ROT system pushes some away, but I truly believe it is from mainly the players that play the game in one form or another. So if we really want to save siege then I think that we need to really start to think about how we play the game and decide if it is best for the siege shard.

I

imported_Goron

meh. I think it just reaches a time when people decide to move one.
Many of these vets you speak of have played for as many as ten years. Thats a long time. I don;t see anything unusual with people stopping a game after ten years. Heck, I stopped playing other MMOs after so little as a month.

So yeah lots of vets are leaving, and due to EAs lack of marketing, few are replacing them. But in the case of me, I am a vet that already left but has returned. And having sampled my fair share of MMOs... I've decided UO is the one for me.

If you are having fun, cool, stay in game and don;t worry. The mor eyou make posts like this the more it hurts the general mood of the siege population and enables others to justify leaving.

S

Stealth Caster

Actually, I understand why people would leave after so long of a time on siege or any game. I don't really care who leaves because I believe that as the population isnt what it probably once was that it is still a decent shard to play on. Just seeing the reasons people are leaving and the reasons people aren't coming and staying is what we need to look at and change. I really don't think a post like this would cause people to leave or bring the mood of the shard down. Just wondering if people are thinking about it.

G

Siege often is the very last place us old vets come to play...to stay.

It may be a combo, EAUO not seemingly caring enough about a wonderful gem of a game that was created a decade ago, that they seem to have neglected even ignored lately and neglected for too long. Customers only will wait patiently hopefully for so long........and they will move on or play another game with better customer service, better marketing to keep their product alive and viable and so on.

Also when it appears the community here which was so special, seems to be more hellbent to *self destruct* everyone nitpicking on every one else, board pvp is fine oft fun, but when it appears to get nothing better than more and more lowball nasty or outright juvenile trashing everyone else, folks will move on,

or when it seems/appears that our own community, full of grown adults of various ages, oft lately seem more to take the low road over the higher road *more and more often than not* yeh folks get fed up with all the dis'ing of everyone at everyone else or the other guilds of folks, then folks will also move on,

especially when they see someone that many cared about here possibly opt to leave all fed up or exasperated ...one victim more, one too many to loose in a dwindling community..and yeh others will also..take suit and follow out the door with them and move onward.

No solutions really, combo of things, if folks are still having fun they will remain, if not............they will hang on a while longer hoping for change which if it does not come, they too finally move on or exit.

G

People are coming and going all the time. Quite a lot of vets who quit come back after a month or two, mainly because there just isn't anything out there that can compare.

I've no plans to go anywhere in the foreseeable future, however the future isn't always foreseeable.

I'm watching and waiting to see what happens with the Virginia move.
The next publish is supposedly hitting test next week, with an event that should be active sometime around Valentine's day, if I remember correctly what I've read, plus bug fixes etc.

I admit to being pretty darn depressed though yesterday by the posts from Mo and Alex. There are only 3 people that I talk to pretty much daily on the shard, they're 2 of them.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

Siege often is the very last place us old vets come to play...to stay.

It may be a combo, EAUO not seemingly caring enough about a wonderful gem of a game that was created a decade ago, that they seem to have neglected even ignored lately and neglected for too long. Customers only will wait patiently hopefully for so long........and they will move on or play another game with better customer service, better marketing to keep their product alive and viable and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding.

People play because of other people... People quit because of the direction EA's taken this game... more people quit because those people quit.

It sucks

I love this game and I won't play a plyr-run shard because one of the reasons I still play this game is because of how advanced my accounts are. I log on... and play. I'm not training characters or bs'n stuff... I have what I need and I have fun when I'm on.

The other reason is that they are trying to help us out... it's just slow as hell with all the red tape. It's been 5 years since AoS was released and we're still dealing with issues of it just not meshing with our type of shard.

5 [censored] years.

that's half of UO's lifetime...

something has gotta give.

G

I'm hopeful atm.

I asked for a few things recently. One I got, the monk back at the winery, the others I didn't get told 'sorry, can't do that', I got 'that will take a bit longer'

I'm willing to wait that 'bit longer' and see what happens.

G

well Duke there be....nothing gets me old school UO vet dander up, more;
than the mere mention of UO AOSified... %%%%% items %%% !!! That and #6 in the perma que and please visit our knowledge base...........

C

Calibretto

The total lack of attention to pvp and games fixes drives them away I think.
We stil have alot of the same problems in factions and pvp that were here before I took a two year break.

G

Toss in the random in theory possible fixes for scripting that in the end has driven off a lot of those whom also like crafting. Random ore finds, random wood finds to where a player customer may spend hours trying to get 6-12 silly blue rocks to make one customer a valorite table, yet they wanted matching chairs too, or a bloodwood helm or a frostwood bed.

Or take the customer wishing for a *hovering wisp* which ya can not make as said crafter, nor sell using hovering wisp as prime example of ML insanity rarity randomness, cuz you either can not get the wonder peerless or other way too random rare ingredients for many of the ML wonder craftables. And if ya do find them to BUY, they're too high priced to make the item worth making or buying to sell to anyone.

Cuz of that ML mess and the newer randomisational resources all snuffing out enjoyment of and usefulness of our chrs. to play, too, hense even the crafters have become utterly frustrated fed up and turned off with the randomisations bogging us in and down, only benefiting the scripters not the rest of us, so the customers playing crafters whom do not script dying to Blackrock elses and also never getting the wood types or ore types or granite types they need or want oft enough if at all, also leave the UO customer base, leaving enmasse many of them, frustrated and fed up with the set up of tons of time/random finds, for too little reward or too little usefulness of what we need to continue, to be of any use for us, to continue to pay to play, so they leave UO lately rapidly, too

I

imported_Death of Hemp

Because player run shards work to implement the changes we want, but EA refuses to spend resources on. After seeing the populations on these other shards, it is obvious that EA is stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

I

imported_Krystal

ya i was looking at a free shard called hybrid, was so tempting it was SP but a lot more players. and absolutely no speed hacks and cheats! but to start over just dont seem fun to me:( that's how osi keeps most of us vets, we dont wanna quit cause we dont wanna lose everything we worked for like house spots, castles and rares ext. in hopes that one day they will either sell to someone who cares or fix it themselves!

I

imported_the_slave_revolt

Materialism is a sign of weakness. I think the allure of some player run shards are that the developers/game masters are part of the working system. UO forbid thier staff to own accounts long ago (if I am not mistaken). Luckily some shards out there don't have ROT holding us back ^_^

I

imported_Death of Hemp

<blockquote><hr>

ya i was looking at a free shard called hybrid, was so tempting it was SP but a lot more players. and absolutely no speed hacks and cheats! but to start over just dont seem fun to me:( that's how osi keeps most of us vets, we dont wanna quit cause we dont wanna lose everything we worked for like house spots, castles and rares ext. in hopes that one day they will either sell to someone who cares or fix it themselves!

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope your right, which is why I'm going to continue to pay my thirteen bucks a month. I just won't be seen nearly as often unless some miracle, like the one you speak of, takes place. Seriously though, how hard would it be for EA to throw a SP rules AOS shard on the list?! Honestly, without ROT its not that bad and because it isn't nearly as item based, it doesn't seem to take nearly as long to get to where you want to be.

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

There's hybrid and Uo divinity both made by the same admins with different rule sets and differnt Game masters etc... The thing about the free shards is they do understand u dont want to build over but thats why you can create a 7x Mage or dexxer in just a few days... and then build on getting items etc... they also allow you if ur to lazy to do that is spend 20 bucks on a skill ball and stat ball and your 7x with ur stats done instantly... I've played hybrid for a year stright and it is quite fun yes they do modifiy the way the people want but for those two shards there just begining to get motivated and doing changes and doing what the people want.. I dunno if they hired a new staff of admins to edit the server but The Owner Ryan was being real lazy and just collecting money from people who bought gold from him and other game items he sold to people. It seems like there working hard to get the population on both servers to a good standing amount again. Its nice there but i still like the siege game play as well....

I

imported_Magnolia

<blockquote><hr>

Because player run shards work to implement the changes we want, but EA refuses to spend resources on. After seeing the populations on these other shards, it is obvious that EA is stepping over dollars to pick up pennies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard it put so truthfully as that death... stepping over dollars to pick up pennies... they are backing other projects with their dollars and just collecting bread and butter style business with us...

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

GFT. I even sold my EA shares.