• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who do you trust?

• Thread starter imported_OldAsTheHills
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_OldAsTheHills

This is the number one question inside the game on Siege Perilous!
If you can not answer this question then either you are some God-like pker or
you are clueless fool. The first case simply means you can kill those you play
with and do not have to trust anyone. How many players can claim to be this
way?
Most of us learn about Trust by trial and error. Of course if you are playing with
real life friends then the Trust issue is very minor! If you know no one inside the
game then a player is force to deal with making attempts approaching people
you really do not know. So, how does different people treat other people
approaching them? Also, how does different people keep other people in that
state of trust?

By the way, IMHO: Trust is key to survival of Siege Perilous. But, that is just me.
Others may careless!
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

I

imported_mo'gluk

no one.....

okay there is this one orc and one snaga who I give unprecedented access to my stuff... other then them

no one

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

So far, I trust around 4 people.

and I'm not naming names.

[/ QUOTE ]Hmm, ...
Well, I did not expect you would name these trustworthy players.
After all, if you did then may be one of the four will secretly snicker!

Just, what did these four do to earn your trust? and vica versa?
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

G

I guess I have 'degrees' of trust, and will vary how much I trust by what's at risk.

No one but Terry knows my account details, after almost 30 years of marriage I think I've managed to establish that he's trustworthy

I will trust someone with my items, if I've decided that the risk of losing them is acceptable, I have come to trust, through not being let down, several people on this shard.

I never, ever, trust anyone but Terry with anything I've been given in trust by another. Friendship to another's house for example. I would never presume upon that trust shown in me by accessing someone without the knowledge of the owner. Mostly I'd ask before even letting Terry in!

I have the very great honour of being trusted by quite a lot of people on two shards and on these boards. I hope I never give any of them cause to regret it.

Mostly my motto is 'do as you would be done by' I try not to do anything to others I would like if it was done to me.

G

To establish trust, one must be willing to place oneself at risk, and learn, and adjust, from the outcome.

There are quite a few people I trust that play (or played) on Siege. I can't list them all, and I'm sure I'd leave someone out if I tried but some that come to mind, that I trust implicitly:

Castor (duh!)
Mac
Kiera Willow
Sevi (Fabienne)
Blind Otto
Beatrice Quill
Queen Zen/Miranda
Wulf

(These are people I would trust to hold my houses, and any/all of my items.)

There are many more that I would trust without hesitation with significant access to my things in game...and that is probably why someone mentioned that the friends list on my house looked like the NEW access list at one point.

I have been fortunate, that my trust in game has never been betrayed, in terms of items and such. It is true that my house was completely looted once, but that turned out to be from an account that was sold, not done by the person I had originally trusted with the access.

-Skylark

M

majorwoo

I agree, there are degrees of trust.

Noone has my account information, except my wife who refers to it as "the stupid game" so I don't see her logging in, except other then to delete things so I quit playing.. Hmm, that may nede to be changed.

A have a few "friend" level people in my castle.

Trust is earned, though you don't necessarily start in a negative position. I generally consider someone neutral to good until I get to know them. Your actions and the actions of those in your group drive my opinion of you from there.

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

And additional question here!

If you are just starting on Siege Perilous with a new character for the first
time then what methods as a newbie do you use to attract attention and
trust from the established order?
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

G

Trust is fragile.

Trust is earned.

There are *levels* of trust.
By that I mean there are folks we trust only so far, others we'd trust a lot more.

Nothing hurts or harms a human being more, than broken or shattered trust ie betrayals.

Yet if we do not *risk* within our radius of comfort, how will we garner any friend or allie etc. ? If we do not 'risk to trust to some degree' or degrees, at least within our comfort zone, then we sit behind our closed up walls of self protection all alone.

I trust a lot of folks on differening levels, and there be some folks I'd never bother to risk any trust with at all, cuz trust is meaningless to them, just a tool they use to toy with upon others.

W

Whutupcuz

yahaxonthinich or whatever look bra just get out and socialize....you always being by yourself and [censored] is not healthy

some advice for that ass

DA FUDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

When I was new here ... I just said *HI* even if they were pking me.

I did this to see what THEY were all about and made of, as players and human beings playing this game on this shard. I repeated it, to see how THEY react per encounter...to thus create in my own head a summation or summary over time here of what they were/are are made of in a gaming atmosphere virtual world.

W

Whutupcuz

ya even if ya get pked dont take it personal its a game just say HI
Everytime i see JSV i am goning to greet them with a Hello VAS ORT FLAM....How is you day KAL VAS FLAM....Welp i hope it gets better for ya PORT ORT GRAV

G

I trust you too Skylark and Castor most all of KSS former KSS...what ya didn't trust Py hehe ya didnt have him on ye list ! ? *giggles.. adds most of KSS former KSS, adds Py *

YU know that kelmo guy... I think I could trust him in my houses but BUT he has NEVER let me in any of his since his mayoral stint house.. soooooooooooooooooooo pfft !

G

*laughs*

I do NOT trust my husband of 3 decades with my UO acct. info which yes he too calls a stupid game...but I do not TRUST him with my acct. info cuz ...he sees my computer more like some pickup truck ya fix with a big wrench...... lol omg I would not TRUST him with my mouse even to log my accts. IN...no that is reserved for our son..his darn fault for buying me UO 10 yrs ago and at least he knows how to LOG in and run a mouse ! HAHA

P

pikon198

i trust two people so far in game cause they have became good freinds of mine, Rob and Hollywood. We started playing SP around the same time so we helped each other along the way.

I

imported_Magnolia

I give trust as a show of faith in a person's higher integraty.. Very seldom have I been disappointed when giving them this respect. I trust everyone until they show to me that that trust was misplaced.. And then it is on them and not me and I can continue enjoying the freedom and happiness that giving trust to others, gives back to me.

I

imported_OldAsTheHills

<blockquote><hr>

yahaxonthinich or whatever look bra just get out and socialize....you always being by yourself and [censored] is not healthy

some advice for that ass

DA FUDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
When Yahaxithonix came to SP, the first two years I was either pked and/or
ignored! This is why I do the *stares* thing. I have long given up on joining
guilds. Then I came here to this forum... not the eye openner I like to see either.
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

N

Nerf-Herder

I trust the tobacco companies when they say cigarettes will not give me lung cancer.

*cough*

If I die, they wont get my money anymore. Why would they lie?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I trust the tobacco companies when they say cigarettes will not give me lung cancer.

*cough*

If I die, they wont get my money anymore. Why would they lie?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they are fairly confident that your underweight at birth baby will live long enough to follow your example and carry on the paying after your death.

-Skylark

A

Azural Kane

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

some advice for that ass

DA FUDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
When Yahaxithonix came to SP, the first two years I was either pked and/or
ignored! This is why I do the *stares* thing. I have long given up on joining
guilds. Then I came here to this forum... not the eye openner I like to see either.
*stares*
Yahaxithonix

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you must have fun.

Lorddog

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This makes me think of that Bruce Lee movie where the student bows to him and Bruce raps him on the head. Telling him to always keep an eye on the other guy.

Many times I have been stealthing about and see a blue guy I dont know and wonder if I should reveal myself or not.

Lorddog

S

Sir Ha-ward

Anyone who was in REV and most of the original OTFs. At one time Shak and Puffy had my account info.

G

As a new player on Siege developing trust in other players has been easy for me. I have to basically trust everyone since I am poor and just learning the ropes. I have no choice. Until someone proves me wrong by their behavior, and I am sure it will happen sooner than later. So far I have been lucky in the dealings with people in game. No one has tried to rip me off and I have met some wonderful people here. Another thing is I read a bunch of posts here and have done business with several of the frequent posters. Above all NEW has been the best thing I have experinced since I started playing UO 10 yrs ago. unlike Haven on the prodo shards these folks actually help you get started and point you in the right direction.

G

I trust 4 people in the game, my cousin who got me started MISSY &amp; my 3 guildies Dr. House , Snoop Dog &amp; Lilbit !!!

G

Hmm, an interesting one.
If I try to list everyone I trust, I <u>know</u> I'm going to leave someone out, and offend them deeply, but whoever gets the short straw, it's not intentional!

Skylark, Castor, Py, Miranda, Shalimar, Kelmo, most past/present KSS, quite a lot of GIL's folks, and a number of the long-time CWS people would be high on the list. There are more, but then, there are varying degrees of trust, too. I tend to friend very few people to my buildings, for the simple reason that, if there IS ever a looting/problem, I don't want the finger of suspicion to point at folks I consider friends. So, most of them end up just being accessed, unless there's a real need for higher security.

Who DON'T I trust? Well, my dear wife has this habit of thinking that my tower needs tidying every now and then, and I'm sure many of you can sympathise with the after-effects of having THAT done to your storage, be it on Siege, in the bedroom, or elsewhere!

G

Ive always trusted everyone on the White Council.. The CWS,GIL,KSS Alliance

G

I don't think the issue is trust, I think its decency.

I don't trust anyone I have not met in person. But as far as this game is concerned, I think we need a little more decency. I read phrases like "its a game dude" and I think of all the people who have had their fun crushed by these people who laugh and say "its only a game"

I do consider this only a game, and I care not for the live of my pixel avatar. Resurrection is painless.

However, being called names, being led into flame wars, or pointlessly trying to ruin another players fun is mean. But these "only a game" people will never get it.

its like when people call hunting a sport, you think the deer had a great time getting killed, because I am sure you had a great time killing it.

PVP, consensual or not has its place in this game. UO has no gloating feature, that is all brought on by the player.

when I communicate I am not Role playing. When people on the boards try to get me angry so they can have a laugh to themselves I get angry, not my pixels, me, a human being.

so next time you feel like trying to make someone angry remember its you not not a persona in a game that gets the thrill from ruining someones day/hour/minute. This defines you, not your game.

G

I will answer as a player that is new to Siege.

Whom do I trust?
No one, been burned too many times in UO, I will not trust again. Period.

Respect is another thing.

I am involved with a small guild and respect them, for they have not killed or looted me and have been kind as I get settled into Siege.

I have met a few very kind crafters that I respect and do business with, but as far as trust, no, not really.

I do respect the BORG for not dropping me when they had the bounce on me, I was obviously a new and feeble character.

I respect a certain seagoing merchant (ok pirate) that I met in my first 15 minutes on Siege, he gave me a safe place to bail out when I was only a few hours out.

I've not met many other folks on Siege, mostly I am either ignored or instantly targeted.

I've learned that certain guilds are totally untrustworthy and totally unrespectale. Even if its only a few memebers, guilt by tolerance and assoicaition makes all of the members unworthy of my trust or time, IMO at least.

I've only actually attacked (I use the term loosely, I never hit him) one person on this shard and I was just having fun with a thief in Luna, I think we both got a laugh and he got my bandaids.

How am I going to gain trust, respect and be noticed on this shard?

Well I post my honest feelings here...

Other than that I will be me, I really do not give a damn if I am popular or not, its a game. Ive met folks from UO in real life that I used to think were my friends and I was betrayed and hurt by them far more than is possible in just in game. (I have a RL ex-wife on another shard)

I am by no means perfect I have done some pretty mean things myself as well.

So in summary, I plan to be as helpful and kind as possible but I plan to keep everyone at arms length and to never trust in UO again.

JFR

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I trust Enigma, for the most part.
No one else besides us has our account information, but if a need came up there are several folks I would trust.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Ru, Sissy, Patty, Miss Tea and Kelmo

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my list, too. and Sean Sillyfoot and Rykus as well.

I

imported_Elmer Fudd

There's Two Cupcakes I trust in UO---Ones Me, and the other's...... not You!

Philosophical Cupcake 4 U!

I

imported_Luka Melehan

Depends on what you mean by trust. Only Kelmo has my account info. All three of my children have my list of used passwords for everything. There is very few children I would trust to drive through a blizzard with my grandchildren.

If we are talking basic UO trust...everyone and no one. There are quite a few folks friended to my Minax house. There is nothing I own in game that is going to cause me to lose sleep. If I tried to buy something from Puffy and he cheated me, it would not hurt me. If I get killed and drylooted, to me, this is not a trust issue. This is why I am on SP.

IMO, guilds are the key to survival in SP. I just happen to trust my ally, but I would still survive with a moderate trust, becasue there is still the give and take of talents. whether is it crafting, or coordinating battles.

G

I trust myself to make the right decisions. I am seldom wrong. *smiles*

G

NO ONE, that way if you ever get hacked you dont have to be suspicious.

If you're stupid enough to trust someone online and let them acces your account then you deserve what you get when 3 years later when your [censored] turns up missing and you can't figure out which of the 6 people who know your account info actually did it.

A

Alex the Gray

there are a few people I have trusted that did not disappoint me. However,, to name them, would slight those that never had the opportunity to BE trusted, and therefore wouldn't be on the list.
Those that I trust, know who they are.

G

When I played UO, I trusted too easily and got burned.
However - the people that I trusted completely - (and still do, as some are on WoW with me):

Skylark
Castor
Mac
Kierawillow (she's my sister, I better be able to trust her)
Nuriko
Asmodi
Dewyn
QZ
Py
Hawk
and the late Aeric Horn.

I am fortunate to have some really good friends from UO that have crossed into WoW - its refreshing to be able to "change worlds" yet still keep friendships alive.

G

I can fully trust Elfstone and Snoopdog without doubt, and my trust in my other guildies is pretty strong. There is not a single one that has given me reason on to.

Can most of the other guilds make that same claim???

G

Yeh I think so.

KSS can make that claim we never had to worry bout each other rippin off any of us nor our guild houses nor supply houses. Never had any issues the entire time I was with them.

I think CWS can make same claim.

I know AO/MYTH can do so also.

R

Rykus

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Ru, Sissy, Patty, Miss Tea and Kelmo

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my list, too. and Sean Sillyfoot and Rykus as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

My list looks very similar. I would also add the Orc brothers, Ghaz and Mo, and a couple others.

I

imported_Black_Magick

Interesting question.... i just pick a few people to hang with and see how they act/talk. so i'll know if they are trustworthy... but as for who i have 8 or so i would trust with everything except my account info.

K

Khaza

I have trusted three or four players in my 6 years with any item or gear that I owned.

On Atlantic and Chessy, I have regularily loaned Totems, HOM and Jack's Collar's to these guys without hestitation and have granted access to my accounts at odd times.

On Siege, I have a few people now that I feel very confident would not scam me or steal and are welcome the use of anything I may own here. They have been very good to me on my short time here and I can't see why that would change : )

A

Alex the Gray

what do you mean by trust? To be specific, you need to define that word as you mean it in that sentence.