• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Who can access a chest?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I always thought only the person who dug up the chest could access it, but I was soloing an L6 chest in fel tonight and a couple guys came along and also started looting it. Nothing left worth fighting over, so I let them have it. But what are the rules on who can access a chest? Anybody once it's dug up? Does fel have different rules than trammel? Thanks

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Originally it was just the one who dug it up, then they changed it to party members. I had not heard anything about non-party members being able to loot it. Very interesting, might be Fel.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had never encountered it before, coming back to a chest after teleporting home and back and seeing somebody else looting it. It was kind of funny, actually, because one of the guys ran over and tried to hand me some of the stuff he had taken and seemed quite happy when I told them to keep it and whatever else they wanted. But if indeed somebody else being able to loot a chest I dug up is possible, it's going to change the way I loot - in fel, at least, if that's the case.
EDIT: I think when I get a chance, maybe tomorrow, I'll just test out some chests with the second account and see.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The key to your confusion is in the location. Your chest is perfectly safe in Tram, but in Fel it can be accessed by anyone who comes across it. This isn't new, it has always been thus.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The key to your confusion is in the location. Your chest is perfectly safe in Tram, but in Fel it can be accessed by anyone who comes across it. This isn't new, it has always been thus.
Good to know, I have been treasure hunting for a long time and didn't know that.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Given the odds against anyone finding a lonely chest somewhere in the wilds of felucca, it's not something that comes up very often :D

A-tron

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Little off topic but I decoded two maps for level 7's that are within 2 screens of fel yew gate. Needless to say, more trouble than it's worth. How long do maps take to reset so to speak?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Little off topic but I decoded two maps for level 7's that are within 2 screens of fel yew gate. Needless to say, more trouble than it's worth. How long do maps take to reset so to speak?
Lol, I'd think those would more trouble than they're worth too - unless you like digging up chests for everybody else to play the grubbers with.
The reset was 30 days last time I heard - but who knows what changes have been made without anybody knowing it - I leave mine alone for 30 days for a reset

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Though, if one could actually successfully dig them, imagine the hilarity that would ensue with all those pvp-optimized characters trying to deal with PvM....

It would be a fun spectator sport, at least....