• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

which pet is better for general pve

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
are hiryus better or cu sidhes better? for killing stuff like onis, tsuki wolves etc.

M

MoneyMaker

the Cu is the better choice for taking on onis and such.
the hiryu would work but its gonna take alot of healing when trying something like the oni, whereas the Cu will take less healing and usually does comperable damage.
I am just speaking from my own experience with both pets, so a few others might wanna let you know their experiences with both pets.
good luck and happy hunting!!

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're good enough for a cu sidhe, you may as well get a greater dragon, which is better than a hiryu in every way except for the ridable-bit.

But if it's just for low-to-mid range fighting, I'll take the cu because it heals itself. They do comparable damage, but more monsters are protected against physical damage, which is strike two against the hiryu (cu does cold/energy).

So I'd choose the cu.

Well... I'd choose the rune beetle/bake kitsune, but if I just wanted one low maintenance pet, I'd choose a cu.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cu side are tanks, but I find their damage output mediocre at best, so while they'll kill stuff you'll be waiting for it ;)

Hiryu are better on damage, but not ideal for every situation given that they're not able to cure themselves or heal. If you're capable at vetting or you can disco the foes, that makes a big difference. I still rate hiryu 10x higher than cu sidhe though, I tend to kill ballies and ancient wyrms with my hiryu, though paragons can make life tricky ;)

If you wanted a good all round pet, I'd suggest a pair of kitsune. They're easy to control, do a lot of damage and can take a bit of punishment too. Also, you can be mounted alongside them which makes life that bit safer.

Greater dragons are the pet of the moment and do good on tanking and damage, but I really don't enjoy being on foot around some critters, so I'd still prefer kitsune for general hunts.

Also, the best pet will depend on the skill you have for control, if you don't have enough for a greater drag, i'd say 2 kitsune.

Wenchy

O

Old Man of UO

Greater dragons are the pet of the moment and do good on tanking and damage, but I really don't enjoy being on foot around some critters, so I'd still prefer kitsune for general hunts...

Wenchy
I see a lot of dragons at the champ spawns, I prefer my cu sidhe with high resists. She happens to be a pure black with 595 hit points, very nice all around, easy to control and I can run out of danger when I need to since I am mounted. It is so much easier keeping track of one pet at these spawns too.

For Doom, my dragon works best for me, although I do see other pets now and then. The bake kitsune or bake/rune beetle are my choice for anything except large spawns and certain peerless.

I need to train up my hiryu to see how well he does, haven't spent much time with it.

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dread mare or cu for all around pvm'ing. both pets are ridable and can easily get away from any situation. Your gonna spend alot of time loggin in and out or using pet balls (if you can depending on the area ur in) if you decide on using a GD. GD's are great for low end champ spawns but once the spawn increases to the higher levels ur GD is gonna be toast. which will lead to your demise since you will be on foot (unless ur smart and have ninjitsu). For example, try farmin in the grove or the twisted weald with a GD. Both areas are great for monster loot but horrible when things get sticky and your on foot. Best bet for GD farming is prolly miasma. but then again if ur GD dies, your toast is miasma gets on ya.

S

sms11581

I had a decent resist/skilled up Cu that died pretty quick to a Greater Dragon though. I couldn't stay in close enough to him to keep him healed constantly due to a cpl nice greaters respawning on me, but even so with healing the cu was taking a beating.

Is there a decent way to solo tame a Greater Dragon, even with peacemaking I still struggle since they hit so hard.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had a decent resist/skilled up Cu that died pretty quick to a Greater Dragon though. I couldn't stay in close enough to him to keep him healed constantly due to a cpl nice greaters respawning on me, but even so with healing the cu was taking a beating.

Is there a decent way to solo tame a Greater Dragon, even with peacemaking I still struggle since they hit so hard.

It's been said a ton of time...honor taming. Work your honor up to follower level, go in, find the drag you want, invis, honor yourself, and tame it. So simple it's hilarious.

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been said a ton of time...honor taming. Work your honor up to follower level, go in, find the drag you want, invis, honor yourself, and tame it. So simple it's hilarious.
Whats hilarious is watching a 3x legendary tamer repeatedly run up to a greater dragon and try to tame it without using honor, die, rez, and try some more. Usually after the 10th death they begin to give up, and that's when I ask if they would like me to give it a try. Honor myself, say something silly like "I know the secret dragon society password, so you will not attack me", stand in front of dragon and spam tame until I get it, transfer dragon to the tamer and walk away as they run after my char asking how you did that.

F

Frey Wavestrider

Again depends on what you are hunting, Doom Greaters seem best, CU's are good when alot of poisoning is occuring and some spawns. I use rune beetle with mare or bake for swoops. Two Bakes can take on alot. Last night they were the tanks while hunting ancient wyrms in Destard. Only had one die when I missed the heal because I was poisoned. Still what pet you use is as much personal preference as how they actually match up against a monster. Any of the pets mentioned in the preceding posts can do will if you heal them when they need it.

S

sms11581

Well, I just came back after a very long break from UO. What exactly is honor taming?

Kellgory

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I just came back after a very long break from UO. What exactly is honor taming?

Basically all you do is get your honor up by honoring monsters before you kill them. For those that don't know how to do this, here is the UO website section that explains the virtue of honor. http://www.uoherald.com/guide/guide.php?guideId=154
As a tamer you will gain slower than a melee char because your using a pet to help, and if you use a rune beetle it will even be slower due to the use of poison. The higher the fame of the monster the faster you will gain. Not all monsters will take you to knight of honor. I believe lich lords will get you to follower and about 4 bubbles away from being knight. Succubbus will get you all the way to knight.

Once your at the follower level, move offscreen from the animal you want to tame (it is better to be away from any monsters) and honor yourself (they now have a gump that will come up that asks if you want to use this virtue or something like that). By doing that, anything that wasn't aggro to you at the time you honored yourself will ignore you (unless you attack it). Even when you fail to tame and it gives the message "you anger the beast" it still will not attack you until your honor wears off. In most cases, you should be able to tame something before your honor wears off at the follower level, but just in case it does wear off, then all you do is run offscreen again, and wait the 5 minutes before you can honor yourself again. Note that each time you use honor on yourself, you will loose one bubble.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've never found cu's worked really well against GDs. If you had disco that would help you out more than peacing. I have 2 trained kitsune that I use to kill greaters. Also, if you use the daemon temple on fire island you'll find it much easier to control the spawn. I usually pull everything but the greater drag over to the right hand side near the door to the building, then work the single GD on its own.

Well you can use honor taming as others have suggested :) I don't use honor with my tamers tbh, and it's perfectly possible to tame everything in game without peace or honor. The only difference is that it's more risky till you learn the ropes, but I find that's the whole fun of taming aggressives.

When I tame greater drags, I take the dragon of choice out somewhere quiet first, so there's no spawn or players to interfere. Fire island has a few wandering healers, it's worth locating them before you start and taming nearby till you get the hang of it.

When it comes to the taming itself, I just beat the dragon down to a sliver of health with pets, stable them and then start taming. I wear my resist suit and carry orange petals so I can prevent myself being poisoned as I tame. I either stealth to the GD's feet or invis myself beside it. Then munch a petal and start holding down my tame last target key while keeping just out of the dragon's reach. Experience will tell you when you need to break off and heal. As soon as you start a tame attempt, it's useful to invis yourself. I have a macro set for it (cast invis, wait for target, target self) that I use for that purpose.

Just watch that dragon's health bar. As he gets to the half health mark things will get toasty again. I've tamed a few pets on full health including a GD, but I don't recommend it :D

Wenchy

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
are hiryus better or cu sidhes better? for killing stuff like onis, tsuki wolves etc.
Just my 2cp's.

There are Hyru's that can have wrestling to 108.
There are Hyru's that have wrestling at 100.

There are Cu's with Healing at 100.
There are Cu's with healing at <=90.

On one account I have a high hit point, high strength, good to great resists and Wrestling at 108. This guy is a Great All around Ridable Pet.

On one account I have a Cu at Max HP, near max strength, 64, 50 (may be 45),85,50,85 resists and all skills at 100. This guy is a Great All around Ridable Pet.

For any mob that allows me to vet/heal, it probably is best to take the Hyru, for any other mob, it is probably best to take the Cu.

IF I want the job done, I take one of my Greater Dragons.

In my opinion, these pets being categorized as the best all around, depend far more on the stats, resists and skills than the pet type.