• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wheres UOmage UOarcher etc. forums?

U

Unohdus

Wheres UOmage UOarcher etc. forums? Can't find them :E

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The old forums crapped out. These are the "temporary" ones, that look like they're going to be permanent. They're supposed to be transferring data over from the old forums, but nothing yet--and it's been quite a while, so I'm kinda wishing they'd at least set up replacements, so we can start inching ourselves towards replacing all the lost information.

T

T_Amon_from_work

I really hope they give even old categories back :rant2:
Not for you but for those who persist in NOT listening when I and others post ...

The data IS as recovered as it can be but needs to be carefully merged into this format from the old stuff. Efforts are to a) recover our old accounts, b) recover as much as possible of ALL of the old forums and stickies. I don't have a percentage of loss but I am understanding it was really small.

I can tell you now that behind the scenes is a full regalia of testing on recovered data from the old staff area. I can honestly tell you MY PMs in that area were 100% restored. The entire staff of volunteers and Stratics personnel are testing things to insure that when it is back it is as complete as can be possibly done.

The forensic recovery alone took more than 3 weeks ... and that is literally terabytes of data for ALL supported Stratics boards ... Eve, UO, Warhammer, WoW, EQ, etc. We are NOT the only kids in the schoolyard and there are only so many people skilled at restoration with so many hours per day to make it happen as rapidly as folks would like.

These forum formats are here to stay ... the contents will shift once it is assured a smooth transition can be made for all of us. As a poster with 30+ years in IT I can tell you it is not pretty, nor easy and can be very wearing to all involved in processes like this.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The stickies above are meant to cover some of the info temporarily, if people would post into them (then again, I only put some of them up a couple days ago, because the requests for profession forum info have stepped up recently).

These boards have been the permanent new boards for over a month, actually.

As for status of the restore of old posts....

Here's something that came up on the staff forums, recently...

| Posts | Number of rows changed from 0 to 426193 |
| Posts | repair | status | OK

| Users | repair | warning | Number of rows changed from 0 to 141833 |
| Users | repair | status | OK

What this translates to is that 141,833 user accounts (for all of stratics, not just UO) and 426,193 UO Stratics Forum threads have been recovered.

Now, it's just a matter of getting the current forums' 4500+ users linked to their corresponding accounts in the 141k+ old accounts, and resequencing the numbers of the UO posts and all the other forums (which each had their own numbering system before, but share one system on the new boards) into one large set. After that, and conversion to vboard format, they'll all be back.

However, since the tech guys doing this are doing it on a volunteer basis, when they have free time from their real world jobs, we can't promise any sort of timetable as to when the full forum set may return. But they are definitely working on it.

One good sign is that the Staff got their old staff forum content back last week, and that recovery and merger (though still in its own beta test) was a much smaller trial run at what will have to be done to merge the old material into these boards. The info that is to be merged into this board is about 8 times larger (in numbers of threads; probably closer to 30-50 times larger, if not 100, if you count the number of replies), and has about 300 times more user accounts, than the staff forums do. Think of it as the difference between assembling a model kit, and an actual 747.

N

Nenime

Hey, that's good news! Thank you both very much. And an extra EXTRA thank to the guys recovering the forum content in their spare time. I didn't know that.

Reinzeld

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My apologies for giving basically the game information, while having the audacity to include my desire that the professions forums be recreated simply to allow us to begin reassembling information while the missing info remains...missing.

I'll be sure to keep my words to myself in the future.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Or, you could just check and see if the question hasn't been asked a zillion times before.....

The point of NOT recreating them empty is that they will be back, complete as they were, long before a serious attempt to reassemble the information could get even half done. All we need at the moment is some of the FAQ info up here temporarily.

By the way, if you really feel like rebuilding a FAQ for a skill/profession from scratch - go for it! A number of the professions' FAQs were massively out of date prior to the Great "Oops!" of 2008, and needed replacement. In fact, it was to modernize the Mining & Smith FAQs that I volunteered to become moderator of those boards, and had just finished the last update (as opposed to new sections) a week before the downtime, and was working on totally new information the night we lost the old boards (if it had happened 2 hours later it would have been posted).

N

Nenime

A number of the professions' FAQs were massively out of date prior to the Great "Oops!" of 2008, and needed replacement.
Good, because I was pondering on the temporary skill threads. Whether it would be still worth the time/effort to write a new one when the old data is coming back anytime soon. There is SO much information hidden in the old forums. Even if a bit outdated, a lot of the old skill guides were excellent. But I'm afraid that some of the authors are not on hand anymore.

May you give a VAGUE estimation when the old content will be available?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not authorized to give a date - but there are rumblings that parts of the processer needed to do so are nearing completion - Watched for a thread about formerly banned accounts in U.Hall - those accounts being restored (and therefore, all the other old accounts) is the first step down the road to the file restoration.

_zigzag_

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to interject here also that we do have a 'main page' that is sorely in need of updates. When we finish restoring things, much of the FAQ's etc. in the forums will be accessible from uo.stratics.com :)