• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Where to find player vendors? Buying BOD books

kinerney

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm new on UO on Lake Austin and I'm starting to feel like Will Smith in I Am Legend. It's kind of lonely out there. Wish I'd gone to ATL where there are apparently a few adventurers left. So I haven't been able to find any mentors in game and I'm hoping to get a few questions answered through this forum.

I've tried the player vendors in Luna. Most seem to be dormant. I was hoping to buy smithy BOD books but they are plentiful yet all listed as not available for sale. What gives with that? And are there any other places where you can find plenty of player vendors (as NPC vendors don't have any good stuff for sale).

It looks like I can't move to ATL without starting a completely new character. ?? But can I move items between my existing same account characters? I'd like to split off a skill to a 2nd character and then freely share items between them. (For example, split the miner/blacksmith into 2 chars but then unload all of the ingots from the miner to the blacksmith. Ditto taming a pet with a new character and then transferring it to my blacksmith.) Are there any options for this.

I wish I'd started UO years ago. I bet it was a thriving metropolis back in the day.

Thanks!! kinerney (Trammel/Lake Austin)

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
First let me welcome you to lake Austin. There are some vendors selling bods. I do have some runes for them. Just ask in general chat and someone will be glad to help you. My main character is Rowan, I try to play daily usually from 1:00pm mountain time to 4:00pm. my alt mora has smithy bods which she would be glad to share. It is very easy to share resources between your alts. The only problem will be trading a pet from your tamer, as both alts have to be on at the same time. What I usually do is trade it to a friend, who then trades it to my other alt. you will find that there are more people on during the weekend. I would be very happy to help. Right now I'm in the process of starting a new player welcome center. My icq is 334814058.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've been a bit scarce on Lake Austin recently due to health issues (my blood pressure hit 240/140 around the beginning of May, and I took a couple months off to let the meds get it stabilized).

I'd be willing to share some of my BODs as well, but it will be a matter of catching me on. Unless the vendors have dropped, I have tailor BODs for sale at my house near the Ter Mur moongate. Smith stuff, I'd have to go through the stuff on my roof in order to set up another vendor (my smith BOD vendor dropped, and I also got a bunch of BODs from a friend before his house dropped).

The house name is The Bear's Den.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont know the situation on Lake Austin ... but to some of your questions:

- Build yourself a home. Its the easiest and safest way to transfer items among chars. Should be a hard task on a shard with a lower population. (No! I am not kidding. The problem is not, to find a place for a house but to decide where to build one. :D You can have only one on your account.)
- Since the introdution of the shard-wide chats, it should be possible to find a helpfull player selling items to help you develop your chars. (If i took your post right, you were looking for someone selling empty bod books?) Looking for an active guild/active players here on the LA shard forums could help, too.
- To transfer a pet from one of your chars to another, you need the help of a second account. (Usually another player) Depending on what kind of pet you are looking for, I would try the general chat or the forums here as well or have a look at New Magincia. There are special vendors located, which can sell player tamed pets.

kinerney

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks guys! Good info. I hadn't tried the group chat thing yet. As for the BOD thing, I was trying to buy what appeared to be books full of unfilled BODs for me to fill. In particular, I'm trying to find 15 exceptional shadow plate SBODs to fill out an LBOD. If I understand this correctly, I can't fill out an LBOD that I got unless I've gotten the 6 separate and matching small BODs assigned to me independently. Do I understand that incorrectly? I've got lots of ingots and a hammer. But I'm short on prospector's tools and fancy hammers.

kinerney

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I've also been meaning to ask about the best ways to cash in ingots. I've been selling them by the trainload to a jeweler in Minoc. Price started at 15 each and quickly dropped to eventually 5. I tried another city when Minoc was down to 9 and it was 9 there too. Should I be shopping around cities? And is there a better way to max the value of the ingots? Thanks again ICQ 692505448 kinerney

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
DONT ever sell ingots to an npc. *g* You need tons of them for bods (if you want to do bods).
To get a bod, you need a mnimum of 0.1 in blacksmithing. So you can get eytra bods with every of your chars, if you spend the one skillpoint. You can get three bods a day without too much effort. (Nowadays you can claim three in a row before you have to wait.) Everytime you tunr one filled bod in, you can get a fresh one for that. So the main tactic is to claim low-ends-bods with chars at 0.1 skill, fill and turn them in with your main crafter and pick a new one with that char. (Works for smithing and tailoring the same way but seperatedly.)
You got the bod-thing right. To fill an LBOD for 15 exc shadow plate armour, you need to find and fill the small ones first. Nowadays you have the chance to upgrade your bods with bribing the npcs. But its always a difficult thing to decide which bods to fill and which ones to use for bribing. Personally I wouldnt try to fill the 15 exc shadow plate BOD. The small ones have a 90%-chance for a pof and the large one 'only' yields a +15 ash. (Not to mention that you could bribe plate bods in the long run up to a valorite runic.)
Bod books on vendors are often 'only' used for additional storage. If you dont price them, they cannot be bought. Boods in these books dont count full towards the storage limits. 5 bods count as one storage. So you can roughly have around 600 bods lying on each vendor that dont count against your houses storage capacity.

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Silverbird had some excellent information for you. I'll be on most of the day as will my Guild UMP. There are several great and helpful guilds. If you see someone always feel free to ask questions . Silver is correct the first thing to do is getting a house. Also if you do want to sell extra ingots, I'd love to buy them. I have a ingot vendor that is hard to keep stocked. Stocked resource vendors are hard to find.
Forgot to tell you on my I qui will be momdragon

Last edited:

kinerney

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Big thanks Tamais & Silverbird!!! You guys have been super helpful on ICQ and in the game. It's like a whole new game for me now that you guys have been showing me the ropes! :)

Tamais

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Big thanks Tamais & Silverbird!!! You guys have been super helpful on ICQ and in the game. It's like a whole new game for me now that you guys have been showing me the ropes! :)
I had a lot fun helping and hunting with you. We'll do more exploring soon. I am so,glad you joined us :)