• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Where are the Malas Castles?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only ever saw 1 on LA, where are the other 9? If the winners never claimed them, why didn't you pick others? sh**ty

J

jack flash

depends on what shard i think, but as far as i know, go to luna continent, go as far east as possible, go to the small tower and cross the rope bridge to where the flesh golems and ki rins are ete, they should be just north of the brigde on grass, i know of 2 in europa

N

Ni-

I'd also be willing to bet that some may have fallen and are no longer there.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There was one on chessy that the guy let fall. I tried to buy it from him but he wanted a billion gold for it. People kept writing on his board telling him he was nuts for wanting that much but he wouldn't go down. I hate that he let it fall tho I would have loved to have had it. They could have at least made it where you could place a house there in the spot.

T

The Home Guild

There was one on chessy that the guy let fall. I tried to buy it from him but he wanted a billion gold for it. People kept writing on his board telling him he was nuts for wanting that much but he wouldn't go down. I hate that he let it fall tho I would have loved to have had it. They could have at least made it where you could place a house there in the spot.
They are grandfathered so not sure how he would let it fall.Perhaps you meant his acct closed?
I owned 2 malas castles on atl.Wish i would have kept.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My point has been missed. 10 on each shard were never claimed and placed. Maybe 1 or 2 here and there. IMO, since the Giveaways inception, there should always be 10 Malas Castles on every shard.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
fewer castles = more people to constantly strive for them.
Do you even know what's being discussed here?

EA has 0 control over the amount of Castles placed in Trammel/Felucca. They have absolute control over the number of Castles placed in Malas. Total number of subscribers that can't afford a Castle has no bearing at all on this......

L

Lord Kynd

IMO, since the Giveaways inception, there should always be 10 Malas Castles on every shard.

no there should not. it was a drawing, one time deal, not something ongoing.

if someone drop's them, or closes there account what makes you think someone else deserves this ?

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
no there should not. it was a drawing, one time deal, not something ongoing.

if someone drop's them, or closes there account what makes you think someone else deserves this ?
Because that someone elses NAME would have been drawn from the same hat as the others. This was a blind drawing, and most of us were a little leary of the way it was done and reported in the first place.

L

Lord Kynd

well i would not even think of selling the one i have for anything less than 1 billion gold.
obviously you do not know much about them.
1st.. they are grandfathered
2nd.. they where prize's and are 'special' because of this.
3rd.. you can have more than one house with one of them.
4th.. they are worth alot more due to the above.
5th.. a friggin tram/fel castle now sells for over 700 million gold (atlantic) (i'm sure UO realestate can verify this)
6th.. it's a castle in Mala's, there are 0 other castles in malas except for on that island.
7th.. more for #6... you can not place keep's nor castles in mala's.
8th.. you don't have ton's of pidly house's surrounding or blocking your doorway.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem is, and I think what the OP is getting at, is the castles (most of em) we NEVER given away nor placed. Several winners of them never claimed them, A list of winners was never posted nor made public, etc etc.

This was a big deal then, asked for and asked for, and totaly ignored by EA. If they drew a winner, and it wasnt claimed, why wasnt another account name drawn??

We couldnt get a solid answer then, and I doubt the OP gets one now, as information and comm is even weaker now than it was then...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I knew you had a personal interest in this, to come off quickly with NO!!!!! God Forbid the value of YOUR CASTLE should go down because someone else actually received one too.

L

Lord Kynd

Because that someone elses NAME would have been drawn from the same hat as the others. This was a blind drawing, and most of us were a little leary of the way it was done and reported in the first place.
the drawing has been done with for quite some time now.

they never did a second drawing to fill the one's never claimed. this is a very good thing, it keeps them rare and worth more.

perhaps that 'someone else' shoulda complained to EA back when the event was happening ?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Also, IIRC it was 6 castles per shard? Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will LOL) But for the most part only one or two were given away per shard.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The problem is, and I think what the OP is getting at, is the castles (most of em) we NEVER given away nor placed. Several winners of them never claimed them, A list of winners was never posted nor made public, etc etc.

This was a big deal then, asked for and asked for, and totaly ignored by EA. If they drew a winner, and it wasnt claimed, why wasnt another account name drawn??

We couldnt get a solid answer then, and I doubt the OP gets one now, as information and comm is even weaker now than it was then...
You are 99% spot on, but I think EA claimed they did in fact release a list of winners. But more than a few thought it was a bogus attempt to cover up a botched event.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the drawing has been done with for quite some time now.

they never did a second drawing to fill the one's never claimed. this is a very good thing, it keeps them rare and worth more.

perhaps that 'someone else' shoulda complained to EA back when the event was happening ?
It keeps them rare and WORTH MORE? unbelievable....

L

Lord Kynd

I knew you had a personal interest in this, to come off quickly with NO!!!!! God Forbid the value of YOUR CASTLE should go down because someone else actually received one too.
of course i do, and not to sell, i happen to really like my castle. and do not think people who where 'A' not around durring the drawing should not get one unless they purchase one. and 'B' mine is not the only one on atlantic.

L

Lord Kynd

ahh you are wrong , there was a list of the winners
i'll try to get the list for you

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ahh you are wrong , there was a list of the winners
i'll try to get the list for you
I'll settle for a pic of the email you received when you won yours. You can blacken out the personal stuff....

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You are 99% spot on, but I think EA claimed they did in fact release a list of winners. But more than a few thought it was a bogus attempt to cover up a botched event.
Kynd, see my post above. People did make a fuss and post and call and stuff, wanting to know why the castles werent given away.

I mean, get real man, You are notified you won a free CASTLE in MALAS. And it doesnt affect your housing status you already have?? Who do you think, in their right mind, wouldnt claim it!?!?!

They pulled names out of a hat at a time when peeps were quitting the game, probably most of the winners were cancelled accounts and the account owners didnt even open the emails, or if they did, went :so what?"

After 10 days, another winner should have been drawn, PER CASTLE, and another set of notifications sent out until this event/giveaway was done.

Yeah, this was a botched/screwed up/crooked??/pitifully ran giveaway.
I'm proud for those that got one, but the fact remains, it was never completed, never followed up on, and mindless of what anyone says, I watched for a list and never saw one, and never could find one.

The handling of this and quite a few things, indicate the decay the game. Everything seems to be the same old SNAFU anymore :(

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i supppose you think for some god unknown reason you feel you deserve one ? for what reason? just because there are spot's open ?

I've placed, owned and sold my fair share of Castles in 11 years. It's principle were talking about here. The same applies to the DSFASFA sham of a Promotion on LA. The small towers that were never given to anyone are STILL blocking preferred house space..

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i supppose you think for some god unknown reason you feel you deserve one ? for what reason? just because there are spot's open ?
Probably because they were never all placed, and therefore technically, the event/giveaway is still live? :p

And if you have a complete list of winners, you got it privately from Wilki, we watched and waited and waited, and never found one publicly posted.

T

The Home Guild

01.18.05 - Win a CASTLE in Malas
Now is your chance to win a castle in Malas! You read that right, a 32x32 footprint CASTLE! On March 25th we will be giving away 5 Castles on each shard. All you have to do to be eligible to win one of the 5 Castles is have an Ultima Online: Samurai Empire access level account that was created or upgraded between November 2nd 2004 and March 18th 2005.

We will randomly select 5 winners on each shard from all eligible accounts and the winners will be notified via the email address associated with your account, so make sure your account information is correct. You can update your account info HERE.

Make sure you are eligible to win a piece of history today and upgrade or create a new Samurai Empire level account!

here is your answer.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh, 5 per shard, ah well....and to Lord Kynd, you've stopped responding, especially to my request for your email notification that you won.Fess up dude, you bought your Malas castle, and you don't want the value to drop. LOL

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ummm, okay.
I'm missing the part where the answer is tho. That's the original notice of the giveaway, yeah, nothing to see there.

But the answer...

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jeremy, I see you viewing a locked thread. How's about viewing this one and giving us your thoughts?

L

Lord Kynd

I've placed, owned and sold my fair share of Castles in 11 years. It's principle were talking about here. The same applies to the DSFASFA sham of a Promotion on LA. The small towers that were never given to anyone are STILL blocking preferred house space..
ahh
maybe them blocking 'perfered' spots is a good thing, makes for less crowding :p

seems it also sounds like it prevents you from making money also ? since your a idoc'r .

L

Lord Kynd

Ahh, 5 per shard, ah well....and to Lord Kynd, you've stopped responding, especially to my request for your email notification that you won.Fess up dude, you bought your Malas castle, and you don't want the value to drop. LOL

wait one minute, i never once claimed i 'won' mine from EA.
and again
it has nothing to do with the value to me, you can ask near anyone on atlantic that knows me, i wouldn't dream of selling it. and i have been offered some incrediable offers.

for the record the person who did own it quit UO and i got it from that person. thus i preserved a piece of UO history.

uriah, now that my company has left let me get you that list of winers..

L

Lord Kynd

here you go ..
the list and lookie it happened 3 years ago , get over it.

Q: When will winners be notified?
A: Winners will be notified on March 23rd 2005. A complete list of castle winners is as follows:
Tracy M.
William S.
Elisabeth S.
John S.
David H.
Eileen P.
Nicholas B.
Christopher B.
Kazou Y.
Jong Hoon K.
Tomonobu S.
Jeff G.
Micheal J.
Scott T.
Blaine F.
Mai I.
Toshiyuki O.
Josh M.
Blake W.
Troy L.
Scachiko O.
Kato R.
Greg E.
Diana H.
Jeremiah B.
Satoru K.
Michael J.
Nicholas H.
Derek W.
Masahisa Y.
Brian Y.
Uchiyana A.
Nick H.
Fumio K
Chris F.
Jun H.

linkie at UO.com
http://www.uo.com/castlelotteryfaq.html

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey, if you're going to pay real cash for a UO item, don't be ashamed of it when you're called out. LOL A quitting player GAVE it to you..!!! teehee...

L

Lord Kynd

as far as Jeremey coming , why not join in the fun :) i miss you being around and talkitive.

but honestly i'm sure she knows that i am aware of what i speak.

L

Lord Kynd

Hey, if you're going to pay real cash for a UO item, don't be ashamed of it when you're called out. LOL A quitting player GAVE it to you..!!! teehee...
again your assuming something your clueless on.
i didn't pay cash. nor did real life 'favors' for it either ( before you try that one lol )
now stop being :lame:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
again your assuming something your clueless on.
i didn't pay cash. nor did real life 'favors' for it either ( before you try that one lol )
now stop being :lame:

"Hey I'm quitting UO, and this Castles worth about a Billion gold, ah well, here ya go Lord Kynd, you can have it" LOL

L

Lord Kynd

Ummm, okay.
I'm missing the part where the answer is tho. That's the original notice of the giveaway, yeah, nothing to see there.

But the answer...

"Make sure you are eligible to win a piece of history today" that was in 2005 not today as in 2008. history was made and is done , your trying to rewrite history.
not you uriah, just had a 'answer' :p

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Here's what I remember happening:

1. The e-mails sent out to the winners were using an e-mail service that's pretty much on 95% of the ISPs' "Black List" of spammers who are automatically blocked as a whole by their mailserv-side filters. They should have used EA's own e-mail, but odds are it was a legal decision to have a 3rd party (doing the drawing and notification) in charge of the give-away, to prevent claims of favoritism by EA staff.

2. As such, since the persons doing the awarding used about the worst possible e-mail service, many people were never notified they were winners, as the announcement of the winners list was put off for months (if not a year) because they weren't going to announce the winners until all the castles were claimed, creating a catch-22 situation where people whose ISPs blocked the email couldn't find out if they were winners because the list was being held back until all the winners responded to their e-mail.

3. Worse, nothing was done to link winners to their shards. There were 5 castles to be won, per shard, but all the winners were drawn from a pool of eligible people that logged into ANY shard (that, or logged into the shard, and the gift-traders of course logged all their accounts in with every character slot, on every shard, skewing the results in their favor). As a result, few, if any, actually won a castle on a shard they actually played. A few people arranged with EA, on winning and contacting a winner on a different shard, to have their castles "swapped" (player on shard A won on shard B, swapped prize with winner on A that plays B), but those too were rare.

D. And, of course, it was likely in the time it took to finally announce the winners, a number of their winners didn't have active accounts anymore, IIRC, and therefore were not in a position to claim anyways.

L

Lord Kynd

01.18.05 - Win a CASTLE in Malas
Now is your chance to win a castle in Malas! You read that right, a 32x32 footprint CASTLE! On March 25th we will be giving away 5 Castles on each shard. All you have to do to be eligible to win one of the 5 Castles is have an Ultima Online: Samurai Empire access level account that was created or upgraded between November 2nd 2004 and March 18th 2005.

We will randomly select 5 winners on each shard from all eligible accounts and the winners will be notified via the email address associated with your account, so make sure your account information is correct. You can update your account info HERE.

Make sure you are eligible to win a piece of history today and upgrade or create a new Samurai Empire level account!

here is your answer.

the condeming of your other house was changed, trying to find info on it now ..

UOR this is just updating some of your info.

L

Lord Kynd

Here's what I remember happening:

1. The e-mails sent out to the winners were using an e-mail service that's pretty much on 95% of the ISPs' "Black List" of spammers who are automatically blocked as a whole by their mailserv-side filters. They should have used EA's own e-mail, but odds are it was a legal decision to have a 3rd party (doing the drawing and notification) in charge of the give-away, to prevent claims of favoritism by EA staff.

2. As such, since the persons doing the awarding used about the worst possible e-mail service, many people were never notified they were winners, as the announcement of the winners list was put off for months (if not a year) because they weren't going to announce the winners until all the castles were claimed, creating a catch-22 situation where people whose ISPs blocked the email couldn't find out if they were winners because the list was being held back until all the winners responded to their e-mail.

3. Worse, nothing was done to link winners to their shards. There were 5 castles to be won, per shard, but all the winners were drawn from a pool of eligible people that logged into ANY shard (that, or logged into the shard, and the gift-traders of course logged all their accounts in with every character slot, on every shard, skewing the results in their favor). As a result, few, if any, actually won a castle on a shard they actually played. A few people arranged with EA, on winning and contacting a winner on a different shard, to have their castles "swapped" (player on shard A won on shard B, swapped prize with winner on A that plays B), but those too were rare.

D. And, of course, it was likely in the time it took to finally announce the winners, a number of their winners didn't have active accounts anymore, IIRC, and therefore were not in a position to claim anyways.

ahh the great stipulations of 'lotteries'

if you live in the states we have lotteries and well i am sure they don't even try to notify any winners, it is up to the winner to notify them.

L

Lord Kynd

Basara
i like this ...
"- elsewhere, I'm just a passionate UO player with strong opinions."

L

Lord Kynd

jeremey will have to step in and give the info on when the grandfathered part changed, i'm sure she can access info a bit easier.

but if you go here ... http://www.uo.com/cgi-bin/search.pl
and do a search for ' castle '
you will find a wealth of information.

L

Lord Kynd

"GarthGrey
Lore Keeper

i don't sell anything for cash, i rarely sell or buy things for gold.
i perfer earning my keep :p
but then again i am not in 'debt' so that help's.
how much RLcash have you made selling all those castles you claim to 'have had' ?

L

Lord Kynd

on atlantic here are the auto-map co-ord's for the malas castles. FYI

X:2300 Y:374 (owner Kynd)
X:2262 Y:381 (owner Dorothy)
X:2384 Y:259 (owner Thrak)
X:2221 Y:194 (owner CYGORE)
X:2059 Y:358 (owner Kizar Vexious)
X:2116 Y:374 (owner Morgana)

if i rememeber correctly the owner of the 7th one tried dropping it to move it. not relizing it could not be replaced.

and yes they also changed the amount of them given out, 7 per shard( back in 2005).

want list's for each shard ?
i'm borred

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2. As such, since the persons doing the awarding used about the worst possible e-mail service, many people were never notified they were winners, as the announcement of the winners list was put off for months (if not a year) because they weren't going to announce the winners until all the castles were claimed,
I know what the intentions were, but I dont think that list was actually put out in March. I remember me and a quite a few others were hunting and asking for it, several months after the close of the event. Mostly because, as Basara mentioned, we were wanting to be sure we werent in the list but not receiving emails :) .

And to head off any ideas, No, I am not disagreeing with Kynd's post. Their intent was to post that on the 25th, but i am almost certain it didnt, otherwise, we would ahve been able to find it :p. Rather, I think it was posted late, but still with the original dates on the post body.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL
No Kynd, dont need a list for each shard :p
And don't get all revved up, I'm certainly not pickin on you. :)
But still think the math don 't add up, 7 per shard, 36 winners...*throws calculator away*