• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

When MMOs Die... then what? Matrix, Hellgate, Tabula Rasa, and more...

Muckbeast

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is very depressing for players when their favorite MMO just can't maintain a subscriber base large enough to keep it afloat.

When MMO Games Die

What causes this? Do players have any recourse?

I believe that our industry needs to figure out a better solution than just shutting MMOs down. Player confidence in the industry will continue to erode otherwise. At least when a TV show is canceled, you can watch old episodes. When an MMO shuts down, its just gone. Furthermore, the community is fractured and you lose contact with friends.

Some sort of solution needs to be found. Whether it is releasing server code into the public domain, licensing a free server option for low cost (paid for by the community) or some other solution, we have to do something. What do you think is feasible?

R

RichDC

Simple, play Ultima Online, it will never die. :D
this.
It will only ever die when every computer in the world dies!

It will even survive an uprising of Machines hell bent on ruling the world! Give the people Ultima and they will forget everything else!!

If you make MMO for a living i kind of feel sorry for you, they will always die because of Ultima!

C

CaptRex

Still... There's a free to play MMOs.. If you are a gamer, you have to spend more time and money on that.. Some problems that I've noticed is most of the players nowadays were not quite active. I mean there are using macro system to level up fast and that's not good because of that, the community will decrease as well..