• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

whats the point of hosting

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Well, it's kinda been in the old inventory so long now, that I don't even think about it.

Sometimes I'll see and set it down just to see if it's still good....and it is. LOL

I love doing burgers. Not only is it a lot cheaper, but you don't have to have a frig, a food processor or a stove. AND you throw away the plates so you don't need anything but a good old fashioned trash can.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Hmm, well, providing people convenience, providing food, letting people skill at your place, chatting, socializing...

Did I leave anything out?
Quit complaining that your helping people without a award. That's just silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, actually, you could have left that out all together.

It's because of crappy "you should be happy to wait on me" attitudes that many of us don't host guests in our houses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Dutch, I have to disagree here.

I think MORE hosts should host BECAUSE they want to provide a service, and ARE happy to wait on guests, even if they do get miffed at the particularly greedy ones, they are still should be happy for guests. IMHO, if they are not hosting for that reason at least primarily if not solely, with the rest being a 'bonus' like it's supposed to be than a necessity, then I think not hosting, as you say you won't do, is the right course of action to take.

Hosting has become too much like trying to run a business and the 'art of hosting' has gotten completely lost, IMHO. I think making money is for stores and money houses, the rest of the categories are about providing services to other people, not 'what's in it for me'. Like I said, that doesn't mean you can't get pissed off when someone is particularly rude...but when you let that resentment get to you too much instead of ultimately realizing that you can't control other people's attitude and you're in it for the good apples as well as the bad, then IMHO, it's time to make a money house or non-AFK store.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Hmm, well, providing people convenience, providing food, letting people skill at your place, chatting, socializing...

[/ QUOTE ]

It's because of crappy "you should be happy to wait on me" attitudes that many of us don't host guests in our houses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think MORE hosts should host BECAUSE they want to provide a service, and ARE happy to wait on guests, even if they do get miffed at the particularly greedy ones, they are still should be happy for guests. IMHO, if they are not hosting for that reason at least primarily if not solely, with the rest being a 'bonus' like it's supposed to be than a necessity, then I think not hosting, as you say you won't do, is the right course of action to take.

Hosting has become too much like trying to run a business and the 'art of hosting' has gotten completely lost, IMHO. I think making money is for stores and money houses, the rest of the categories are about providing services to other people, not 'what's in it for me'. Like I said, that doesn't mean you can't get pissed off when someone is particularly rude...but when you let that resentment get to you too much instead of ultimately realizing that you can't control other people's attitude and you're in it for the good apples as well as the bad, then IMHO, it's time to make a money house or non-AFK store.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely. Providing a service is a business and hosts should be able to charge for those services. Especially in a skill house that is needed by anyone that wishes to make money. Limiting entrepeneurs to money and stores is just wrong. For that matter, I make very little money at my store and rely on my sim jobs for the money that I really need for things I do. My store is a service business too. I only have it to provide the service of supplying the community with objects from catalog.

For those only interested in being a good host, they can open an entertainment lot and host parties all they want. Host friendship orgies in a residence lot where you don't have to cater to needs at all. That is hosting. Skill lots should be a business.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I think it's a 2-way street.

Hosts need to know how to provide a nice environment that guests will enjoy. And within reason provide greening.

However, guests need to learn some 'manners' as well.

In real life, when someone stops by to visit, does anyone think the host would be happy if they served dinner and their guest turned it down just to have that same guest demand very loudly that they needed FOOD 10 minutes after they had just cleaned up the kitchen?

And some of them do put it that way.....FOOD!!! They don't even quietly sneak over and start munching on the birthday cake to get your attention like some players do!!!!

(which btw is totally hilarious....watching and wondering how many pieces of cake they will eat before they finally ask.... and don't know if anyone notices but they generaly end up saying something like..."GEEE, wish I could eat cake like this and not get fat!"")

G

ttl

Having "grown up" in a small town, I realized long ago to be very appreciative of the homes that were providing a place for me to skill, the homes providing a place for me to make money. I think that is a big issue with these sims of today. They take it all for granted, as if it is them doing the owners/roomies a favor by being there. With no bonuses, believe me, it's no favor to a house to have to feed a bunch of mouths who don't even say ty.

After having hosted in TC3, I know the majority of people don't tip. Many work jobs, land just to green, skill a bit or do a money object, then off they go again. Many don't even thank you. They don't seem to realize that we as hosts, don't need to sing to them, we don't need to feed them, we don't need to even let them land.

With buffet costing still the same as always, and not any more filling than it ever was, it takes 2 or 3 plates to fill a hungry sim. That is too much money for a new player to have to spend on food considering they start with nothing. Now I don't mind feeding them, I don't mind doing extra work myself to earn the money it takes to feed them, but it sure would be nice if they would learn to clean up after themselves and say ty now and then. Oh, and use a bed for God's sake, I don't mind serenading now and then, but I am not doing it constantly, I have work to do to keep food on the counter. I am speaking of when I host a money lot. I can't see how skill lots keep going at all the way things are. Been there, done that, and I would be broke in no time, but then I don't buy simoleans.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

And some of them do put it that way.....FOOD!!! They don't even quietly sneak over and start munching on the birthday cake to get your attention like some players do!!!!

(which btw is totally hilarious....watching and wondering how many pieces of cake they will eat before they finally ask.... and don't know if anyone notices but they generaly end up saying something like..."GEEE, wish I could eat cake like this and not get fat!"")

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

I've done my share of returning from AFK to find that I missed the HC. However, as Gracie pointed out, sims don't die right away. I green up my other needs and wait for the next HC. If it isn't forthcoming I go home for a meal.

I don't know when we guests started feeling entitled, but it it is not fun or good for the game. I think tough love is called for.

Gosh, remember the time before everyone serenaded, when having the best beds were a sign of a great host? I remember having people ask what the heck I was doing when I tried serenading. (It is listed as romance, so at first it got many negative reactions if the person thought you were crossing a line, lol)

Someone could write a post-merge etiquette guide, that's for sure. And sticky it!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Generally, I tip $10 each time I send a sim to the kitchen to eat. I have pretty much done that forever. If I don't see a tip jar, I ask where it is.

(Yeah...it was quite an event when I was able to finally get one of those red morrocan beds. Seems that was the one everyone one wanted to sleep in. Same for the upgraded showers. There would always be a crowd of shrugging sims standing around it)

Many times at some of the 'well-to-do' houses I'll ask where the jar is and they say....."We ain't got no stinkin' tip jars!!".....
well maybe not like that but you get the picture.

I think in someways these "We don't need no stinkin' tip jar" people are doing a disservice to many of the rest of the players that DO need money to run their homes, they are teaching less experienced players that it's ok to walk off without tipping.

In the production cities, I don't have a tip jar. However, I have requested that what roomies I do have leave out tip jars. So if someone asks me where my jar is....I say "could you please tip my roomie to help them out". And most of them will abide by that request gladly.

So here is the question, how do we promote 'tipping'? Sounds like we need a contest to get folks back into the habit of tipping? I am TERRIBLE with contest logistics....

OMG leave it to me and you'll be doing 'easter egg' hunts but with tip jars? Too bad the devs couldn't give us a variety of colors to choose from hey?

G

I suspect that once EALand opens and the cities get merged one by one, we'll see more and more tip jars everywhere - starting with so little, it will be a necessity for most.

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

I've done my share of returning from AFK to find that I missed the HC. However, as Gracie pointed out, sims don't die right away. I green up my other needs and wait for the next HC. If it isn't forthcoming I go home for a meal.

I don't know when we guests started feeling entitled, but it it is not fun or good for the game. I think tough love is called for.

Gosh, remember the time before everyone serenaded, when having the best beds were a sign of a great host? I remember having people ask what the heck I was doing when I tried serenading. (It is listed as romance, so at first it got many negative reactions if the person thought you were crossing a line, lol)

Someone could write a post-merge etiquette guide, that's for sure. And sticky it!

[/ QUOTE ]
I try the "obvious" subtlety - "Does anyone know if these flowers are edible???"
Usually, a gentle reminder is all that's needed.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

I try the "obvious" subtlety - "Does anyone know if these flowers are edible???"

[/ QUOTE ]

You ever hear these lyrics....

You don't bring me flowers
You don't sing me love songs
You hardly talk to me anymore
When you come through the door
At the end of the day

well, NOW I know you didn't bring me flowers cause you ate them All!!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree completely. Providing a service is a business and hosts should be able to charge for those services. Especially in a skill house that is needed by anyone that wishes to make money. Limiting entrepeneurs to money and stores is just wrong. For that matter, I make very little money at my store and rely on my sim jobs for the money that I really need for things I do. My store is a service business too. I only have it to provide the service of supplying the community with objects from catalog.

For those only interested in being a good host, they can open an entertainment lot and host parties all they want. Host friendship orgies in a residence lot where you don't have to cater to needs at all. That is hosting. Skill lots should be a business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd agree with that, if the only way sims earned skill was when other people taught them and there was no way that they could skill independently, but when the only service they provide is putting food out and calling the repairman when needed (read the boards, many pancake about even doing serenades) then I see that as providing a service, but not one that is worthy of the sim making a 'profit' for their efforts. Breaking even, perhaps, but not a profit for sure. Look at the world around you.....there are many organizations and services that are non-profit or rely on donations/grants to stay in operation. Many of them don't see one dime of profit, and many have to close down because they are so far in the red.

Maybe I'm just being obtuse, but I don't see how simply opening your doors and then being semi-afk or totally afk, only coming back to fill buffets or make HC every hour or so or whatever (hell I've seen roomies and owners go afk so long that people literally have to go home to green and then come back to skill, and the only reason they come back is because that house is the only house open for that particular skill, otherwise we'd surely have taken our VH to someone more deserving of it) is worth a sim making enough money that they never have to visit a money house to pizza or make a few jams or whatever to stay in operation.

I was just sitting here trying to think of how owners might be able to get 'grants' within the sim world like a real life entrepreneur could, but I can't think of a way unless it was a thing that was run by EA, where the applicant would have to PROVE to EA that they were dedicated to running an extraordinary sim house, and the only thing stopping them was poverty. Whether EA is open to an idea like this I dunno, but seeing as how they are about to make money off those that are too busy/lazy to earn money themselves by selling them simoleans for RL currency, I somehow doubt it. I really think this is just a weeding out process of those who are truly dedicated, and those who just want to turn a sim-buck, which would be an especially bad thing now that we will be able to sell money back to EA. In order for something like that to work, skill house owners and roomies would have to somehow have a special fund account set aside with money in it that could only be used for refilling the refridgerators/buffet tables and somehow could NOT be sold back to EA, thus stopping another exploit situation on a RL level, but I can't see the devs going through the time to make something like that happen.....who knows though, I've been known to be wrong before

D

dinaj

I threaten to eat the birthday cake they so proudly display, that always gets me fed ...

G

You can eat my cake, of course it will take you about 60 or so slices to fill up.

G

Lol, if you light the candles all the pieces come back so how is that a threat...

I

imported_Shirl1211

Im amazed at the number of sims that don't tip. There using your items eatting your food, demanding social or HC'd and the thing that really bugs me more then this, is having to clean up tables full of dirty plates and bugs crawling around the bathroom because it seems to be too much trouble to que in a clean. Most of the time these demanding sims poof without so much as a thank you. I'd like to give them a tip...The tip of my boot!!

F

frogger2

yup im with you on the boot part skill house was changed the other day now Im just hosting money homes and residence lots and entertainment home wishs they would make Entertainmant home the free green home lol just to do something. so hey hey drop on by to simply board if you have any logic or just want to hang out.least now guest wont starv due to lack of getting tips and house bonus.host and owner now green- and 1 roommate simmy.

L

lisjacase1

HC - your house is quite unique IMHO

2 of my sims spend quite a bit of time there because of the friendly and fun atmosphere.

You have experienced roomies - who actually go to work themselves (including you) and guests who like to help out with singing and fixing things as they mostly have quite good mech skills.

You always remind us when to start greening for work and ask if anyone needs anything before we go. Always have have hc ready when the bot factory kicks out. Makes for a great house thats always full.

Makes all the difference.

You are such a doll.... You are one of guests that makes it very pleasureable for us to do all that we do
And there are many more! Thank you all!