• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's the point in Linking accounts?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Keeping my MAIN accounts on one main account is for ease of doing updates (installing needed codes) and keeping an eye on them, I have all other accounts on separate e-mails because they are seldom used and I don't want to panic when I get the e-mail that it has run out of time.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Might be some great advantage to the company, to rest of us it's a pain in the ass. And an obstacle to fight thru to pay for some...

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Another way they use it is if one of your UO accounts is banned, all other UO accounts linked to it are also banned.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My biggest problem with the linking of the accounts is the fact that if someone gets that password they have access to every account linked to it. That could be disastrous for many people. Honestly I can't imagine anyone thinking this was a good idea security wise.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My biggest problem with the linking of the accounts is the fact that if someone gets that password they have access to every account linked to it. That could be disastrous for many people. Honestly I can't imagine anyone thinking this was a good idea security wise.
I agree and for awhile it was that they were hacking emails because getting your passwords and all from your email was VERY easy. Which is why the emails I use for my accounts are strictly for my accounts and I don't use them for anything else and I never give them out.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's the point in Linking accounts?
Just wondering because i just opened a second account..
Companies like EA buy smaller companies like OSI/Mythic/Broadsword, which each have their own acc management. Eventually such a big company ends up with a bazillion of proprietary accounts and their managments. Since it also is not always possible (or feasible), to make the old software work with a completely different account system, account linking is done.
Basically you can thank EA for having us link our UO accounts to their EA master account.

superfrog

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Companies like EA buy smaller companies like OSI/Mythic/Broadsword, which each have their own acc management. Eventually such a big company ends up with a bazillion of proprietary accounts and their managments. Since it also is not always possible (or feasible), to make the old software work with a completely different account system, account linking is done.
Basically you can thank EA for having us link our UO accounts to their EA master account.
Thanking them is not quite the sentiment i would go with . . .

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if its just 2 or 3 accounts, and you dont have problems remembering all the info, best to keep them seperate.