• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What's in a name?

Rayden

Adventurer
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I always think it's interesting to hear where or how people got their nicknames. So please share where you got yours.

Rayden dates back to 1996, and comes from Mortal Kombat Trilogy. He was the first character I finished the game with. (Raiden was spelled as Rayden in that game, and in the movies as well, but let's forget those ever happend..) Though it wasn't untill 2000 that I actually started using the name. I had just gotten internet, and the very first online game I played was Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption. When creating a character, I went for Lord Rayden. Had some of the best RP experiences in that game.
The name stuck, and I've used it for games, forums and as callsign during the 7 years I played airsoft.

The only exception was during 2002-2003, when I was working as moderator on the Neocron forums. All mods had to use an alias, and pick a name from Norse mythology. I ended up using Forseti, the god of justice. I still use that name from time to time when rolling alts, or if Rayden is already taken.

Noldor

Knight, Order of the Bug Hunters
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The current Noldor name was from when I registered on Stratics...just after the invention of the Wheel. I rarely use Noldor in games/forums anymore. It also has sentimental and emotional weight to the name...I was using Noldor in The Realm Online where I met my ex-fiancee' and I semi-retired the name when we went our separate ways...though now she is a close friend! -)

Dolnor uses the same letters as Noldor. Seeing how I am very fond of JRR Tolkien's works, I started using Noldor way back in my BBS days.

I had to start using Dolnor when the Devs at Turbine wouldn't allow it, for obvious reasons, in Lord of the Rings Online. So I moved the letters around and created alts named Oldron (Dwarf), Orlond (Hobbit), Londor and Dolnor (Elves), and Rolond (Human).

My surname, Numbwit, was created one day while playing D&D with friends...I was the DM and the name was assigned to a vital quest NPC. The name comes the Father being a Numbskull and the Mother being a Dimwit. I actually had to change my surname in Dark Age of Camelot because the Devs didn't feel it was "Albion-ish" enough. So I used Oncunnynge (Old English) which means cunning/A court Jester (who could tell the King what he really thought and still kept his head!)...kinda fits my personality! -)

I use Elondra and Olondra for females during testing games...because I help others as testing winds down and people are more receptive to accepting help from a female toon than a male toon.

TQQdles™

Last edited:

aulbrey

Journeyman
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
aulbrey was a character name on a friends account. he had introduced me to the game, years down the road he stopped playing sadly and i took over his account. since that time aulbrey has been molded into what she is today come to think of it she really didn't go too far from what she originally was hehe

Metro

WoW Staff Writer | WoW Moderator
Stratics Veteran
I love discussing this topic, its always fun to see everyone's experience.
I have two names I go by, but only Metro as an actual nickname.
My account name for anything is always Blackhammer99, and the story behind this is the more interesting. When I was in highschool, a lot of my friends were serious about Halo 2 and 3. When 3 came out, they decided to create a formal team and compete at a semi professional level. The "leader" of the team was a man who's last name was Blacksheer, and his account in halo was "Blackshears99." Around the fact that "shears" were a common barn tool, they created the theme "Greener than your lawn" for the team name and accounts. The full team was:
Whiteshovel66
Greyrake77
Silverspade88
Blackshears99

About a month or two into the endeavor, Mr. Blacksheer lost interest over some dispute, and I was invited to be their fourth, on the condition that I start a new account in the theme. WoW had already came out, and as a silly kid, I named a Dwarf Warrior with a big black beard and a large mace Blackhammer, so the name carried over perfectly. And thus, blackhammer99 was my handle all through highschool and into college.

For Metro, the story continues where the other left off. After Halo dissipated from people's interest pool I met more friends in College that were gamers, this time increasing my interest in World of Warcraft. Despite playing as "Blackhammer99" for so long, it was time to hang up the Alliance warrior, and play Horde with these guys. Luckily for me, they gave me an account of some one who wasn't interested in playing any more. The account had the Blood Elf Paladin Metrosexuelf on it, a spin on the phrase that I found quite humorous. For an entire tier, I raided on this account, and everyone in the guild (even my real life friends in it) called me Metro. When the original owner of the account decided he wanted to play again, I relinquished the account and resumed my previous one. I quickly leveled another holy paladin, but since plain "Metro" was taken, I added "Metrolol" instead of opting for a silly symbol above the "o" or something like that.

Now-a-days, I go out of my way to collect anything that has "metro" in it, including subway passes from NYC, delivery company business cards, and even paint swatches. I have really come to embrace the name, and feel comfortable enough being called that, even by people who know me as other names.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Taylor is my real name, but I have lots of other in-game names.
  • Fallon Valor: my most common gamer tag; I invented it when I was 14 for an archer in UO
  • Syrus of Ghad: Syrus was an alternate spelling of Cyrus from Chrono Trigger; invented when I was 14 for a melee/bard in UO
  • Janus of Maw: Janus was Magus' real name in Chrono Trigger; also invited at 14 for a character in UO (wanna say a warrior?)
  • Sul al'Tauran: Wheel of Time inspired (same rhythm as Rand al'Thor); crafter in UO
  • Lorcan Ludovic: ABC archer in UO; picked in 2008 from baby name book
  • Magnus Darragh: Necromancer in UO; picked in 2008 from baby name book
  • Sha'ettemu: Babylonian necromancer; necro/tamer in UO
  • Yi Wushi: just warrior in Chinese pinyin; archer/tamer in UO
  • Paracelsus: a Renaissance botanist; scribe/alchemist in UO
  • Hugues de Payne: first Grand Master of the Knights Templar; 4/6 macer/weaver in UO
  • Le Stryge: Notre Dame Cathedral gargoyle; my gargoyle imbuer in UO
  • Holmes: Sherlock; my UO detective

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Azmodan Beguile..

started as Beguile in UO in 97.. means to cheat or deceive... i played a disarm theif .. moved to Baja shard a few years later.. when I found out a few friends also played... added in Azmodan as a first same.... creation from the deamon Azmodeaus...

Have used it since :)

ALL my main chars .. same name. ALL UO shards and other mmorpgs.

My malee char I created with the name Weedis Goodis ... From my legal marijuana days... lol. You can figure it out. I was well under the influence. Now its just a throw back to another time in my life and I don't have the heart to change it. :)