• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What will you all do?

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... when they finally pull the plug on UO?

This is not a troll ... its a genuine question as to what happens to the dedicated lifelong fans and addicts. yes ... addicts. as there are a whole load of people keeping this game alive with their addiction, when they pull the plug. The fear of losing all their 'stuff', none of which really belongs to them keeps them playing and paying.

So .. cometh the day ... and it will come, sooner than rather than later, what will you do? Forget UO? Play on an unofficial server? Find another game? How will you replace UO, or will you just give up and reminisce?

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I remember reading a post like this back in 2000, then again in 2005, then yet again in 2010... :D Next year, my characters turn 18. 3 years after that, they can legally drink ale. I hope I'm still alive when they can retire and collect Social Security.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I would have taken this a bit more seriously if The Craftsman had not made suggestions and merely let me chose my own response.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sigh* It will end. If you think any differently the you are in denial. My question was what you will do when it ends ... not a request for misplaced responses with emotional crap about how it will last forever.

Reactions: THP

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would have taken this a bit more seriously if The Craftsman had not made suggestions and merely let me chose my own response.
choose your own response . it wasnt a multiple choice answer. typical response from a hasbeen mod.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* I choose to keep playing then. I will discuss the demise of UO when it happens.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*smiles* I choose to keep playing then. I will discuss the demise of UO when it happens.
If youre not going to answer the question posed in the thread, then why bother replying at all? I guess some people just like the attention eh?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When that day comes, I will make up my mind as to what to do next ......... until then, I just keep walking the UO journey and enjoying it..........

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
... when they finally pull the plug on UO?

This is not a troll ... its a genuine question as to what happens to the dedicated lifelong fans and addicts. yes ... addicts. as there are a whole load of people keeping this game alive with their addiction, when they pull the plug. The fear of losing all their 'stuff', none of which really belongs to them keeps them playing and paying.

So .. cometh the day ... and it will come, sooner than rather than later, what will you do? Forget UO? Play on an unofficial server? Find another game? How will you replace UO, or will you just give up and reminisce?
I've been tempering my addiction for years by feeding it a steady diet of alternative games. I know there will be a time when UO goes *Poof* and when it does I'll lose all my stuff, but I'll still have a home, it just might not be in Britannia.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Shards, Shroud of the Avatar, or whatever else may be out there. Different games for different moods for me. I usually keep one or two for each favored genre such as...

MMO: UO and soon Shards/Shroud of the Avatar*
RPG: Shroud of the Avatar
ARPG: Path of Exile
Turn-Based Strategy: Civ and HoMM series (VI being the latest one and MUCH better than V)

*SotA is kind of a cross-over so it gets mention in both. Beyond that, I have plenty of things going on sucking away my time.

Waiting on the High Res Artwork upgrade makes it a bit easier in my view to keep an eye out for the Next Thing™. Without it, IMO UO's time will be less than it could be.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I will dance to this then move on other games and likely go back to playing my NES, SNES, NEOGEO and Genesis more often.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No offense to the OP, but people have been preaching the end of UO since 1998.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well like someone else said, it won't last forever. It will last as long as it can and we'll keep playing it until the end of course.

I have never played a game until it closed down, but when it happens to UO I know I won't be sad..it's just a game after all.

What matters to me is the friendships I've forged and the things I've learned in my time here. I have screenshots that I will keep forever, as we do in real life and thanks to the internet I can still keep in touch with the people I've played with.

So to answer the question? What will I do when UO ends? I will say thank you to the team for the years of good memories and fun times, wish them well in whatever path they chose to follow next, uninstall and log in to one of the many other games that I play.

Until then I will keep picking my coffee bean pods, keep taming and training various critters, keep designing and re-designing my home and enjoy my time :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well... once the ride comes to an end I will sit back in my chair.. run all of the screenshots I have collected over the years (there are thousands of them) on a continual loop and try to convince my brain it is still playing...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I imagine most of us will either find another game or migrate to one of the unofficial shards that will see a spike in players when/if they pull the plug.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think this game will ever go. It may go dormant with no upgrades or fixes but as long there's even a slight profit margin someone will buy this cow and milk it.

If by chance it does go down, I'm sure one of the many great programmers we have playing will put an exact replica up. It's not like it's impossible to create any era of UO there is cause there's already multiple versions already out there.

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sigh* It will end. If you think any differently the you are in denial. My question was what you will do when it ends ... not a request for misplaced responses with emotional crap about how it will last forever.
Try being more original and less biased if you want creative and constructive responses.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If UO dies, I already have Shroud of the Avatar as a backup to comfort me while I grieve for the death of the best game ever created.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I might run my own shard for myself or any friends who might want to fart around, but I doubt it. But probably nothing. Just do what I regularly do in my spare time, read, single player stuff, go outside, whatever.

Kristy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I will probably stop playing games altogether. I have played many games since my first ever game of Ultima Online, and I have NEVER gotten the satisfaction that I have found from this game. So I always gravitate back towards this game eventually. So here I am, and I will be here until they pull the plug.....and after they do...I think I am done playing games. I might just find a life hehe.

Fingers

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Free shards maybe, Shards Online maybe, Dragon Age Inquisition perhaps, Fallout Online perhaps, maybe even UO2? Im sure something will rescue my addiction !!!

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since I know I can install an admin version of UO on my computer, I feel I will always be able to have UO and roam the lands, which is really one of my most favorite things to do in UO anyway, along with dyeing things crazy hues.

:)

The only problem in trying to install that by myself is I could never get the spawners to work, so the lands were empty except for my char.

My teenage son showed me how to do it a few years ago, wish he was still living at home so he could get it working for me. Now he can legally drink!

Hint Hint: You need that program that shaves your face is all I can remember right now to have an admin version (you're the boss) of UO on your hard drive.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I've posted before- I have been here since beta and I will leave the game the way I came in. When the shutdown is announced, I will take the first character I created (Nu'Sair), wipe him of his skills, take everything off him except a couple of pick axes/shovels and tinker tools. Dress him in his newbie clothes (yes, I still have them) and go to the Brit cross roads in Fel and mine. Maybe I'll even get lucky and get PK'ed one last time just as the servers go down.

After that, I'll probably find another game and try to decided what to do with the $$ in my account each month from not paying for 4 accounts.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Methinks the OP needs a hug and some attention.
Sometime down the road when they do pull the plug we will simply all stop playing.
Not too hard to figure that one out Einstein.
Nice try starting crap though using words like addict and give up.
Next time you should maybe not start a topic by incorrectly answering your own question before the thread starts :)

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I might run my own shard for myself or any friends who might want to fart around, but I doubt it. But probably nothing. Just do what I regularly do in my spare time, read, single player stuff, go outside, whatever.
There's a outside?

I'll play more pogo.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
probably realize i wasted 17 years of my life playing some crappy game and hang myself lol. nah i dunno. hopefully ill get out before it shuts down.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Been there. Tried the quitting thing. Came back. I'd lay odds that the devs would bring UO back too, if they ever tried turning off the servers. Either that, or someone would run a kickstarter to buy the rights and run our own "official" servers.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Been there. Tried the quitting thing. Came back. I'd lay odds that the devs would bring UO back too, if they ever tried turning off the servers. Either that, or someone would run a kickstarter to buy the rights and run our own "official" servers.
Or just do it for free like everyone else. :p

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same here. Quit three times. Have come back just as often.

Or just do it for free like everyone else. :p
Tried one of those, which I don't think exists anymore. Hated it. I think that's one of the things that had me coming back to UO as often as I did - all my characters were established, skills were (mostly) worked (*cough* Taming *cough*), and I could pick up where I left off (for pvm anyway, which is all I intended to do for the month I originally planned on reactivating for.)

As for the OP's question: This has been the only MMO I've ever played, and it will remain that way. I'll still have my PS3, 3DS, etc. for gaming, concerts throughout the year (I'm in two community bands, I play Trombone) and complaining about sports on a daily basis.

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same thing I did when they closed the SWG servers: find another game to play. Life moves on.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've been keeping my accounts open due to inertia, but I rarely play. Most of my MMO time gets spent in ArcheAge lately

Edit: Whoa, who ate my profile picture?

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I would find a new hobby. It may be gaming related or it may not. Right now, I think I would be looking at Shards.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't know... I've considered this thought a few times. Even considered what I'd do if I ever "quit" UO. First off I don't see myself quitting. Do I see myself playing an UN-official shard.... not really. Most the problems with those stem from those who run them... and well I could see that being bad. Besides which I'd have to return to 2d. Never really want to do that again.

I am fairly certain I won't be playing SotA... I'm not on the Garriott bandwagon. I don't see myself going there. Shards Online... questionable. Depends on how PvP and things are handled in that game... if it's just a free for all.... NO... won't be doing that. OU was good in the early days because it's concept was novel... But to go back to that sort of playstyle now... ruins it for me. I'm old. My reflexes aren't what they once were and to be a constant victim isn't appealing.

Would I go play FFIV with my son. Highly doubt it. I HATE leveler games. May as well play WoW if I wanted that! *vomits*.... No I don't think so. Not really liking the PvP or fight styles that EQ has... don't like their targeting system... and my PC isn't up to the mark for Landmark right now.... Mostly all I can do there of late is log in and pay my upkeep on my plots not really much fun.

Most likely I'd probably bite the bullet and play an Unofficial shard.. much as I wouldn't want to... Probably play more Arcane Legends... but that gets old fast. Maybe I'd actually work on those things I originally bought a PC for in the first place... Which would be putting my photos to digital... and maybe.... just maybe I'd write that trilogy I been wanting to write.

Dunno might just see what my friends would be wanting to do and go join them in some new adventure. Hard to say. Imagine I'll find out when the time comes.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tried one of those, which I don't think exists anymore. Hated it. I think that's one of the things that had me coming back to UO as often as I did - all my characters were established, skills were (mostly) worked (*cough* Taming *cough*), and I could pick up where I left off (for pvm anyway, which is all I intended to do for the month I originally planned on reactivating for.)
I'm just saying, I don't see the point of trying to buy the rights to the game when you can run you own shard for free. Having the rights wouldn't make the experience any better, and would be a massive chore (if it were even possible) especially for a game that would have proved it can no longer maintain a paying playerbase.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm just saying, I don't see the point of trying to buy the rights to the game when you can run you own shard for free. Having the rights wouldn't make the experience any better, and would be a massive chore (if it were even possible) especially for a game that would have proved it can no longer maintain a paying playerbase.
I disagree... by buying "Rights" to the game if you did buy UO from EA which I doubt very much they would really give up... but say you could... That would allow you all the right to actually turn around and invest what really should have been put into UO long ago and bring all of what makes UO wonderful... into the 21'st Century and would allow you to "recreate" UO as you see fit... which would include moving it out of a tile based format and into a true 3d format.... it can be done.... using the new technology available that EQ Landmark uses you could litterally "build" a world where when you chop a tree it is gone... *granted it will respawn in the area later it is gone it falls.... like a tree should* Where when you mine the earth you really do dig a hole in the soil and leave a mark *that mark does fill in after awhile but you do dig in and do actually remove earth* Where you can build FAR more indepth than just dropping a plot on a flat spot. All housing is unique not only to where it is built but by who builds it and everything. Where you can choose to build below or on or above the ground... small and large depends on how much you want to pay to maintain. So in concept a group could get together and literally build their own town.

Now depending on how it was done this version of UO would have all the right dungeons, all the right cities.... all the right land.... and more. Yes done right buying UO and redoing it to be what it should have become..... would and could give all over MMORPG's a run for their money.

With the targetting of UO... monsters, taming and all the bells and whistles we are used to with a true 3d environment we can really build on and with a good and proper sized development team devoted to UO one who knows the history of UO and the history of Ultima could pull UO back into the game world.... of course this would take years but in the meantime one could better manage the flow of cash NOT selling crap in the Origin store where you can't really sell stuff... but actually making sales that mean something adding stuff to the store... such as things folk have asked for... and such would maintain the current playerbase and could even improve things in folk just knowing that EA no longer holds like a strangling cloud of poisonous gas over UO might actually bring BACK players... allowing you to have time and a small but growing budget to really fix UO the way it should be.

I think if it were taken over by the right minded individuals with the right funding to back them and perhaps they do the pay to develop plan like many others including Garriott and his SotA... I think UO could be given new life. I wouldn't ever sell it short.... the potential for greatness is still here. Just with all EA has taken away from UO... Broadsword in it's current state could never pull UO out of the hole it's in now... Though I don't want to downplay the current team as they are doing wonders for UO right now.... and have the potential to do more... I just don't see them being able to put UO back in competition with things like WoW or EQ Next or anything. While UO will ALWAYS have better content hands down than any of that... I'm afraid that without modern graphics and design and all.... and still being tile based... so long as UO remains what it is now.. it will never be back in the running. It should be able to carry on though.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
people will always diss any suggestion there little world will ever end... wsome folks have spent 10s of thousands of real dollars on pixel rare because this is there thing.... to be fiar it will end.. there no doubt about that.. it cant run indefinate.. what will i do... no idea... it will be a big sad day.. cry...lol... take a frew screen shots then move on with life i guess

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I disagree... by buying "Rights" to the game if you did buy UO from EA which I doubt very much they would really give up... but say you could... That would allow you all the right to actually turn around and invest what really should have been put into UO long ago and bring all of what makes UO wonderful... into the 21'st Century and would allow you to "recreate" UO as you see fit... which would include moving it out of a tile based format and into a true 3d format.... it can be done.... using the new technology available that EQ Landmark uses you could litterally "build" a world where when you chop a tree it is gone... *granted it will respawn in the area later it is gone it falls.... like a tree should* Where when you mine the earth you really do dig a hole in the soil and leave a mark *that mark does fill in after awhile but you do dig in and do actually remove earth* Where you can build FAR more indepth than just dropping a plot on a flat spot. All housing is unique not only to where it is built but by who builds it and everything. Where you can choose to build below or on or above the ground... small and large depends on how much you want to pay to maintain. So in concept a group could get together and literally build their own town.

Now depending on how it was done this version of UO would have all the right dungeons, all the right cities.... all the right land.... and more. Yes done right buying UO and redoing it to be what it should have become..... would and could give all over MMORPG's a run for their money.

With the targetting of UO... monsters, taming and all the bells and whistles we are used to with a true 3d environment we can really build on and with a good and proper sized development team devoted to UO one who knows the history of UO and the history of Ultima could pull UO back into the game world.... of course this would take years but in the meantime one could better manage the flow of cash NOT selling crap in the Origin store where you can't really sell stuff... but actually making sales that mean something adding stuff to the store... such as things folk have asked for... and such would maintain the current playerbase and could even improve things in folk just knowing that EA no longer holds like a strangling cloud of poisonous gas over UO might actually bring BACK players... allowing you to have time and a small but growing budget to really fix UO the way it should be.

I think if it were taken over by the right minded individuals with the right funding to back them and perhaps they do the pay to develop plan like many others including Garriott and his SotA... I think UO could be given new life. I wouldn't ever sell it short.... the potential for greatness is still here. Just with all EA has taken away from UO... Broadsword in it's current state could never pull UO out of the hole it's in now... Though I don't want to downplay the current team as they are doing wonders for UO right now.... and have the potential to do more... I just don't see them being able to put UO back in competition with things like WoW or EQ Next or anything. While UO will ALWAYS have better content hands down than any of that... I'm afraid that without modern graphics and design and all.... and still being tile based... so long as UO remains what it is now.. it will never be back in the running. It should be able to carry on though.
Yes, but my point is you could be doing all that right now, and people are. RG could be running a free shard right now if he cared to, but I think rather than relive the past someone like him or anyone who isn't a nostalgic ex-UO player would rather move on, and as we can see he has.

I think the notion that EA has a "poisonous strangle hold" over UO is kinda silly. Not only would there be no UO if it had not been for EA, I really doubt that EA people have much direct impact on UO development at all. In EA terms its a very tiny product.

Plus, the ultimate freedom would be having no vested interest in the development of a game, where the devs and players could have exactly the stuff they wanted, and no one could say boo. That of course (for better, worse or both) is how free shards are now.