• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What Were first Pre-Beta Cities (Before Beta launched)

G

Hmmm. I was thinking, and I think I found the anwser. If the Test Center was the first BETA city ever open, why is it the third city in files.

I think that Pre-Beta Developers first opened Blazing Falls, beacuse you can see a lot of pre-beta screens with that city in it.
Then it was Alphaville.
Then it was Test Center, (you can find flipped picture of it in Fan-Site Kit)
and then Interhogan (also you can find it Fan-Site Kit)

Then the 5th city was Ocean's Edge, however I don't know if that city ever opened.

What do you think guys?

P

Purdy

EA-Land Mania has a good history on all the legacy cities. I can't remember what opened in what sequence, but I do remember Alphaville and Blazing Falls being the first 2 then Interhogan opened. Then maybe Test Center.

G

I can't link it, but I remember discussions of beta, where they said that Alphaville was the first city. Beyond that, I'm not sure of the sequence.

But I don't think Oceans Edge was ever a city as such.

P

Pkmn_knight

I think he means what was the first citys created.
We know Alphaville Was the first open city, But only Maxis knows what citys they made first.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think he means what was the first citys created.
We know Alphaville Was the first open city, But only Maxis knows what citys they made first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeap, that what I mean, Pre-Beta (not Beta itself)

I think that during Beta, TC was the first city to open (but was closed for public)

N

nobuttkisser

Test City (name says it all) was the first city available to beta testers only. then Alphaville, Interhogan, and blazin Falls... I remember this because there was a quirky "bonus" or "glitch" in the game. when you entered Test Center you received 30k for that city. however when you entered the Production Cities (Alphaville) you received 10k. apparently someone found that you could create a sim continiously and always received $10k. It look rather strange because Interhogan was known as the "Red Light City" any adult oriented activity you could imagine was found there. Imagine a city opening up for the first time and you see a property that was gloriously built, and decorated. now given the amount of simoleans that was available to each player, one could definately perceive that some kind of cheating was going on.

Hence Maxis placed into affect the "7 day rule" which by the way didn't always worked.

Alphaville was the first production city and a lot of "families" were established here both familliar and "Mafias". when Blazing Falls opened up this city seemed to have gravited the likes of "Alternative Lifestyles" (Domms, Subs, Gay, Lesbians, and anything else other than your basic hetoral type of "union"

A City with the name of "Kingdom" was floating around as a rumor but never came to the light of day.. so to speak.

There was a lot of fond memories in TSO but that is all I will "share" for now.... --Enjoy Your Game--

J

jammybob

Interhogan was certainly extremely adult orientated. Blazing Falls was the home for alternative stuff until the Mafia families decided to make BF their home, then the alternative lifestylers moved to Alphaville.
Interhogan basically died when Maxis decided to outlaw brothels and the like.
This was also the start of the slow at first exodus to SL.
Wondering if an adult city, with adult interactions would actully help now?
If you look at the kind of interactions available in other games, perhaps this is partly why TSO has lost out?

G

This list shows the original open date for the legacy cities: Legacy / Lost Cities.

I lived in IH since it reopened after the great wipe. I have no idea what your talking about with brothels, that was a big deal in AV I remember tho. Dang I lost that link to the professor guy again sigh. CB you still have it?

Anyway I also remember a post by Willing Labrat where he detailed the history of beta. I cant seem to find it in archives, would love to re-read it if anyone else can find it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Hmmm. I was thinking, and I think I found the anwser. If the Test Center was the first BETA city ever open, why is it the third city in files.

I think that Pre-Beta Developers first opened Blazing Falls, beacuse you can see a lot of pre-beta screens with that city in it.
Then it was Alphaville.
Then it was Test Center, (you can find flipped picture of it in Fan-Site Kit)
and then Interhogan (also you can find it Fan-Site Kit)

Then the 5th city was Ocean's Edge, however I don't know if that city ever opened.

What do you think guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

The game testing stage before beta is called alpha.

Directly inspired by this thread, EAL Stratics is going to repost willinglabrat's story on the main page for everyone to read.
The link to the first section is here.

I

imported_CherryBomb

Niki, if you are referring to our dear, dear friend Dr. Peter Ludlow, I believe he is still at the University of Toronto.

CherryBomb

G

<blockquote><hr>

Niki, if you are referring to our dear, dear friend Dr. Peter Ludlow

[/ QUOTE ]

G

Yep thats him why his name always escapes me I'll never know lol. Still have the youtube link?

I'm sitting here reading labrats history, I think you will all enjoy revisiting it.