• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What Skill do you need to steal rares?

D

Delmor

I tried at 30 real, 46 with jewellery, no joy.
tried again at 60 real, 76 with jewellery, still no joy.
I dont know what they weigh as it just says artifact rarity 1 or 2 etc.
All I know is I get a warning message telling me my skill is too low everytime I try.
I'm 99% certain I dont need to be in the theives guild.
But I cant find out anywhere what skill level I actually need.
Is there somewhere that shows what skill you need to steal which artifact?

Thanks for any help

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Most Artifacts in Doom were supposed to require 100 real skill, however, that apparently has been changed somewhere, as my thief in training can sometimes steal items with real skill in the 80s.

The stealables in Tokuno only require a total of 100 Stealing.

D

Delmor

thanks for clarifying, guess its back to the pack horse for me then

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if you don't fancy trailing a packhorse around everywhere, while the guards are off in Felucca faction cities, you can steal from a bag on the floor.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Just to confirm, you don't need to be in the thieves' guild.

K

Kiwillian

Pretty sure you can steal from any bag on the floor anywhere. Your house, Guild house, whatever. Packies are easier though.

Also, if you wanna train snoop and have ninjitsu you can use mirror images to train off :)

D

Delmor

I gmed snoop off jhelom fighters while I trained wrestling to 90. Also did the mirror image thing at the same time and got Ninja to 50 for smoke bombs.
Only skill left to train up is stealing. Will have to drop anat back down though to fit enough stealing into my template (only got 700 skill points total).
This is not tested but I have (will have):

90 Wrestling for stun punch and disarm
104.4 stealth (can go to 110)
100 snooping
50 ninjitsu (will use jewellery for the faster animal form)
100 hiding
81.4 anatomy (somewhere above 60)
84.3 healing (will end up somewhere around this value I guess)
72.8 stealing (can take this to 115, but will only take it to gm until account ages or use jewellery etc)

tactics will be to disarm, stun, smoke bomb my way out after steals. I have bandage self on same key as hide, so I always heal up while hidden. Cant see me having too much trouble, but only been stealing off monsters, so not had chance to really test it yet. I did only start stealing yesterday though hehe.

D

Delmor

if you don't fancy trailing a packhorse around everywhere, while the guards are off in Felucca faction cities, you can steal from a bag on the floor.
Hi again, I tried stealing from a bag on the floor in my house in tram, but I never fail on even items weighing 12 stones. And I am losing bucket loads of kama and not gaining. Am I doing something wrong?

D

Delmor

Most Artifacts in Doom were supposed to require 100 real skill, however, that apparently has been changed somewhere, as my thief in training can sometimes steal items with real skill in the 80s.

The stealables in Tokuno only require a total of 100 Stealing.
Just a quick update on my latest attempts at stealing:

got 84.1 real skill with 100.1 displayed skill with jewllery.
Tried 30 times to steal books (artifact rarity 3). Two different piles and the 2 books on the floor, all in doom. No success.
Also failed to steal the rock artifact rarity 1.

However, I nolonger get a message saying my skill is too low to attempt to steal the items (in red text). Instead I just repeatedly fail to steal the items, so guess you still need 100 real skill.

If i take off the jewellery I get the red text message.

havent tried stealing in tokuna yet. back in fel with my packhorse now, until I grand master or get bored.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi again, I tried stealing from a bag on the floor in my house in tram, but I never fail on even items weighing 12 stones. And I am losing bucket loads of kama and not gaining. Am I doing something wrong?
The only place I'm aware of in Tram to steal from a bag is in Buc's Den Smith Shop. Works like a charm.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

you need to be in Fel - or as Oriana said, Buccs Den.

Karma won't go below 'scoundrel' That's the usual designation of a thief.

R

RichDC

However, I nolonger get a message saying my skill is too low to attempt to steal the items (in red text). Instead I just repeatedly fail to steal the items, so guess you still need 100 real skill.
Real skill is not a factor, My pvp thief only has 80 real and 110 with items. The one time i took him to doom(god thats boring btw!) just popped into ferret form for 120...success everytime, at 110 success not everytime.

Daga Taga

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Real skill is not a factor, My pvp thief only has 80 real and 110 with items. The one time i took him to doom(god thats boring btw!) just popped into ferret form for 120...success everytime, at 110 success not everytime.
I do the same thing. With Items I'm at 120 and almost never fail. I'm only at 90 with out items. I also agree Doom is getting boring, never anything worth stealing. I don't know why I even bother anymore.

D

Delmor

After reading above, I trained my stealing up a little more so that I have 103 ish displayed skill with jewellery. I returned to Doom and bagged the books and rock and stretched hide. I then went to the tokuna mine and dojo places and stole fans, baskets, tiny rock gardens, urns, and other level 1,2,3,4 items.

Didnt see anything higher than level 4, but it was taking up to 10 attempts to get level 3 and 4 stuff as apposed to up to 4 attempts for level 1 and 2. So I'm presuming I will probably need at least 110 displayed stealing to steal a level 10 item in under ten attempts.

Found my steal gains were really quick as well. Much faster and more fun than stealing off my packhorse in fel.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.
PS you may be right about Doom. In the entire time I spent in there over the last few days, I have seen nobody...

Rosalinda

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As a rule of thumb, in order to steal an item weighing x stone, you need at least 10x stealing. All the Dojo and Doom stealable arti's weigh 10 stone, that's why you need at least 100 stealing, to have ANY chance. At 100, it will take you many tries, at 120 you will always succeed.

(That's adjusted skill, btw, "real" doesn't matter)

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thief only has mid to high 60's real stealing skill, and suited up with shadow dancers, burglers bandanna, and jewels can steal from doom no problem. I don't think there's any minimum skill required, just get displayed skill as close as possible to 120 for best results.

R

RichDC

None

It takes skill to steal from players not pick stuff up from the floor!!

(Sorry had to!!No one ever flames anyone anymore...its getting boring :p)

D

Delmor

Whats the deal - you cant change into a lama/ostard if your wearing a disguise kit. That kind of makes it a little harder to either escape a steal or not be constantly recognised.

Also, i've been stuck at 104.4 stealth for weeks now and i've stealthed around dungeons for hours in that time getting revealed etc. But still no GGS gains

D

Delmor

just a gm made leather suit, so i guess i should wear non-medable armour then?

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
First try putting on a close helm. If that (with your gm leathers) don't gain you something, swap your gloves and maybe arms out for ringmail and try that. As you progress above GM you need to keep gradually adding heavier armor pieces.