• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is your age? (Answer in the Poll)

What is your age?

• 70+

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • 60 to 69

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • 50 to 59

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • 40 to 49

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • 30 to 39

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • 20 to 29

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • 10 to 19

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not going to be a very accurate poll when half the people are answering the question, what age are you in years irl? and the other half are answering the question what age are you (uo) in months?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't know IMO younger people these days are into instant gratification... they don't want to put in the time and effort that UO requires. They want games they can "beat" and "win"... which again they won't find with UO. UO is more for the leisure player who isn't in a hurry... and with all the many vast systems and lack of much of any tutorial or in-game support I really don't see many "new" players sticking around... Heck even a lot of old returning players get disgusted quickly at the complexity of things.

Also younger players don't seem to have the attention span to stick with playing any one game for more than a month or two anyway.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know IMO younger people these days are into instant gratification... they don't want to put in the time and effort that UO requires. They want games they can "beat" and "win"... which again they won't find with UO.
Thats not entirely true, and I can cite Albion Online as an example. In AO it a long haul through the destiny board to master skills but the game is accessible with great PvP without having to be a maxed out player. Much like UO was before Age of Items. There are many younger players playing, and enjoying a game similar in many ways to UO. They just do it better from a PvP perspective.

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
i would assume that any long term players that have been playing since Beta where probably like me 18-26 at the time.

so add 20 onto that and that should be where the majority of your players age should be 38-46.

im not adding younger players onto that cause i firmly believe this game is impossible to 'jump into' at this point. there is just too much stuff, too many systems.

My daughter was that age when she was playing so that puts me in the Old Geezer age group. Wonder who the other 6 are? She got me hooked.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm one. My eldest daughter got me hooked back in '98... but she quit after the real world intervened and left me here. :rolleyes:
Same here my twin sons got me interested in this hot new game that was coming out.......... Been here ever since. They moved on to RuneScape, WOW, Guild Wars and now days play all the FPS junk. I tried RS and WOW and they both fell far short of the UO experience. So Here I started my gaming interest and when/if the UO plug gets pulled there will end my gaming experience.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe the agv age on Siege is even higher, I'm 61 and I know alot on Siege who are older than me.
My oldest son came home with the game dec. 1997, I had played since then.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Wait we are all adults here??!!? ::begins reading random threads:: Are you sure there are no teenagers here??
Scary, ain't it? I'm 68 and been playing on and off since Dec 1998. The late Leandra (mod here and player) got me hooked on UO back then. My son played for a while way back but then went to RS, GW and FPS console junk.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I know easily 3-4 players of the top of my head under 20, but they dont have Accs in Strats, they use other people to post stuff for them....
So if anyone can add this stat, would be helpful.
I for example started UO with 13-14, played on and off, and back then I remember tons of my mates playing, none do now due to free shards.....
If you look into the PVP players most will be in the 20-29 and 30-39, a few older foggies also killing about but not soo many anymore....

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If you look into the PVP players most will be in the 20-29 and 30-39, a few older foggies also killing about but not soo many anymore....
May depend on the shard, not many 20-29 on Siege but we are several 50+ who do try to PvP.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
all ill say is uo has the teen rating. lol
It does now and I think it went into effect about the time Tram happened. Up to that point it was "M" for mature. I was there and I still have the T2A CD!

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess Martell's post saying he's the only teenager posting on Stratics and he looks forward to outliving us old timers got deleted while I was trying to quote from it? If so, I guess that just confirms his belief we're hopeless.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I guess Martell's post saying he's the only teenager posting on Stratics and he looks forward to outliving us old timers got deleted while I was trying to quote from it? If so, I guess that just confirms his belief we're hopeless.
It wasn't deleted by a moderator.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It does now and I think it went into effect about the time Tram happened. Up to that point it was "M" for mature. I was there and I still have the T2A CD!
I started playing in 2001 at this time plus few years later still M for mature. My nephew at the time was around 9 years old, and had to watch is ps&qs, and had to acted very mature for his age. I think teen rating came in with AOS, or after.

Enziet

Journeyman
heh... It's like finding the kid at work that actually works rather then sitting on their cell phone all day. They are rare, but they do exist. Same can be said in UO.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It changed to Teen at UO:R

I looked it up on the ESRB website.

And that was around the same time UO was getting big in the European market and as they have different values then the US, EA was told to tone it down or get out of Europe.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And that was around the same time UO was getting big in the European market and as they have different values then the US, EA was told to tone it down or get out of Europe.
It was Germany in particular, with the chopping up of corpses.