• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is the...

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Best way to move files from on comp to another?
Easiest....?
Cheapest...?

I do not have a network. They are all connected to the internet via a router.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If they are all connected by the same router to the internet, it would take maybe 1 minute to set up a network.

If you're moving an entire DRIVE'S worth of files, if both use the same type of drive (IDE or SATA), you can hook the new drive into the old computer (or the old drive into the new computer), and copy the directories from one computer to another.

Also, there are enclosures one can buy, that will let you turn a normally-internally-mounted hard drive, into an external one with its own power supply that hooks up with a USB or firewire cable, for about $30.

Note that most programs will need to be reinstalled from scratch, as they involve registry manipulation (.dll files, etc.) though once installed you can overwrite the new installs with copied versions from the old computer, for some of them.

IF the old machine is an XP machine, and the new one Vista, there are apps that will transfer, via cable or network, applications from one computer to another, but those were common back in the period when Vista was first released.

Burnt CDs, DVDs, etc. can be useful for non-program stuff, not only for the data transfer, but to make hard backups in case of a drive failure.

U

UOKaiser

Best way to move files from on comp to another?
Easiest....?
Cheapest...?

I do not have a network. They are all connected to the internet via a router.
Basara hit alot of the methods already but as you said the cheapest and easiest of all I will have to mention one of my favorite quick file moving things my little usb flash drive the one you hook up to your key chain. They come in many sizes from as small as 1 gig cost around 1-2 bucks to 8 gig drives cost around 7 bucks 15gig 20 gig and higher which range from 10 to 30 bucks.

Just plug it in youre old computer usb port shows up as another drive and move all the files to the usb drive then take it to your new computer usb port and move it wherever folder you want.

Easiest and cheapest I can think of.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Thanks guys. I was wondering if flash drives would work. it seems a good way to move some pictures and stuff...

I may yet work up the nerve to try the network... I am still a bit traumatized from the hard drive thing though.

D

Der Rock

Thanks guys. I was wondering if flash drives would work. it seems a good way to move some pictures and stuff...

I may yet work up the nerve to try the network... I am still a bit traumatized from the hard drive thing though.
easiest,cheapest ?

what about send yourself an email and add the file? ;)

otherwise, usb sticks are cheap in these days,and soooo comfortable :)

B

Beer_Cayse

I zipped lots of files and used a flash drive - or burned a few CDs. Flash is the cheapest and it's quite reusable.

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I have to move large amounts of data between 2 comps with no network infrastructure, and slaving the hard drive from one into another isn't an option, if they are (or can be) physically close together, I usually just take a crossover cable and direct connect the computers together via their network cards. You just need to manually configure them with IP addresses on the same subnet to make sure they can talk, but that is easy enough.

Crossover cable = $10 at BestBuy, CompUSA, etc.

-Skylark

O

Old Man of UO

I assume your new computer has Vista on it? Like Skylark says, crossover cable is the easiest. Fastest way is to grab the hard drive out of your old computer and put it in your new one as a second drive to make the transfers.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I have to move large amounts of data between 2 comps with no network infrastructure, and slaving the hard drive from one into another isn't an option, if they are (or can be) physically close together, I usually just take a crossover cable and direct connect the computers together via their network cards. You just need to manually configure them with IP addresses on the same subnet to make sure they can talk, but that is easy enough.

Crossover cable = $10 at BestBuy, CompUSA, etc.

-Skylark
Make sure you save the instructions as to how to configure your two computers on the desktop before you start. Anytime I go to use a crossover cable, I forget how to do it and have to keep plugging the computer into the internet see what to do next. I'm not too savy with computers. I once completely lost my recycle bin. It took over a day with three CS majors in college to get it back. I swear it was not my fault. Luckily they did not all drink beer, so I handled that department while we worked on it.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They are all connected to the internet via a router.
Simultaneously? ie your router has several internal network ports so both your new PC and old PC can connect to one of these ports at the same time and surf the net?

If so, you already have a network. Costs $0 to transfer your files. You just need to set up filesharing. Otherwise, if you already have a thumbdrive or external hdd, use that. They make good backup storage devices as well.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't have a network, the easiest way is a Thumb Drive.

If you are talking hundreds of GB of data, then an external Hard drive might be required.

Your other choice is to...
1) Register a Web Domain and have it hosted with a vendor that offers you enough storage to handle your files.
2) Zip up your files.
3) Use your Favorite FTP program (WinSCP and WS_FTP are a couple examples) to upload the zip to your new Web address' FTP site.
4) Download the zip to your new system.
5) Unzip the files.

W

Wiffle Dust

whoh whoh whoh...man all you gota do is take your old hd out of your old comp. set the lil plastic thing to slave. hook it to the seccond hd cable in your new comp. access your new hd from your explorer. what i would/have done anyways.copy/paste when done.discon it and drill holes in it.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, now that poor Kelmo's head is exploding with all this information. . .

what have you decided to do Kelmo?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, now that poor Kelmo's head is exploding with all this information. . .

what have you decided to do Kelmo?
This just reminded me of watching the Price is Right. Kelmo is the contestant and we are all part of the audience shouting out to him, as he decides what to pick to get the next Plinko chip.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Skylark SP

Available Storage: 0
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whoh whoh whoh...man all you gota do is take your old hd out of your old comp. set the lil plastic thing to slave. hook it to the seccond hd cable in your new comp. access your new hd from your explorer. what i would/have done anyways.copy/paste when done.discon it and drill holes in it.
Well, that isn't an option if your new computer only has SATA connections, and your old computer has SCSI or IDE/EIDE. I have run into that pain a number of times. An external drive enclosure that accommodates multiple drive connection types is handy, but you still have to pull the old drive out, which can be various degress of hassle. A low cost network switch with 4 - 5 ports will give him a network so the comps can talk. He can put the computers on the same workgroup and then set the entire XP computer C drive as a share temporarily to copy stuff over to the new one.

Kelmo, I am now a bit confused as you said you purchased such a switch a couple of months ago, but now you say you do "not have a network". What happened to it, did the kitties eat it? :confused:

-Skylark

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kelmo, I am now a bit confused as you said you purchased such a switch a couple of months ago, but now you say you do "not have a network". What happened to it, did the kitties eat it? :confused:

-Skylark
He also mentioned earlier in the thread that the PCs "are all connected to the internet via a router."

So...somewhere in his house is a kitty with a with square bulge in its tummy...

S

Stupid Miner

easiest,cheapest ?

what about send yourself an email and add the file? ;)

otherwise, usb sticks are cheap in these days,and soooo comfortable :)
Eh, that doesn't work so well with large uploads (tried it recently).

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I think the easiest way for someone who doesn't want to do some configurations is the USB stick. You can get them large enough to hold a gig or 2 and it ends up being faster than burning CD's.

O

Old Man of UO

Well I think the easiest way for someone who doesn't want to do some configurations is the USB stick. You can get them large enough to hold a gig or 2 and it ends up being faster than burning CD's.
Office Max had 4 GB sticks on sale this week for $9.95. I've seen similar deals at Wal Mart. You can get a 128 GB USB flash drive if you want to pay the $400!!

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best compromise I have seen between size and capacity is the one I currently have attached to me keychain. the Corsair Flash Voyager. I have owned this particualr model in everywhere from 1gb up to the 16 I have now, and am pondering buying the 32. They are quite reliable.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I shoved an old hard drive into an external case that plugs into USB and I use that to shift files around and for backing things up.

I also use my MP3 player to shunt smaller files/folders quickly from PC to PC if I don't want them networked.

Wenchy

Black Sun

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm a little late to the party, but I'll give you my input for what it's worth.

Get yourself an external USB hard drive. I have 2. One for backup of important files (pictures/music/documents etc.) and one for media storage (movies & TV shows I've downloaded). It's a huge bonus when you have to change computers, or need a file on one that's on another. Last time I had to change desktops it took me all of 5 minutes to copy over what few files I store on the computer, hook the external drive up to the new computer and copy the files back over.

If you go that route, I suggest a Western Digital My Book. Here's one of the one's I have. I have the 500GB model, and an older 250 that I still use. The 500 is for media, the 250 for back up of pics and such.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is the one I have 120G http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136059, Take a look at this page from Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150414%204016&name=Recertified and this isn't a bad price for a 250G http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136413 $54.99. Comes with a nice carrying case and draws power for the USB. Backup your hard drive, transfer files and then put it in your computer desk. Check BestBuy 250GB new $70.