• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What Is The Optimal Skill-Gain Scenario?

J

joblackjon

Taming gains are soooo slow...

My new Tamer has 90 Taming (real) and 95 Lore (real). At that skill level I have a 50% chance to Tame a White Wolf (they're plentiful and non-aggressive!).

With jewels I can have 104 Taming and 106 Lore. At that skill I have a 78% chance to Tame a White Wolf.

Which scenario will produce more overall Taming skill gains and why?

Thanks for reading

G

The best gains will come from animals that you have a 45%-55% chance at. Yea, once you get into the 90's gains get painfully slow. You can probably start on Gaman's and work them for awhile.

G

Unless things have changed in my absence, as far as I am aware your skill gains are based on real skill so it doesn`t matter whether you`re jewelled up or not. You'll just get more successful tames with the jewelry.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm at the 93.5 brick wall

Drake

G

I reach GM with rings and braces up to 100.0 taming Ki-rins and having a little more chance of sucess, did from 92.5-100.0 that way. So, I guess that the real skill doesn't really matter.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Unless things have changed in my absence, as far as I am aware your skill gains are based on real skill so it doesn`t matter whether you`re jewelled up or not. You'll just get more successful tames with the jewelry.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm at the 93.5 brick wall

Drake

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, gains are based on success chance not your real skill ability and as I said earlier the best gains come from 45%-55% success chance on your target. This can be real skill or modified w/jewels. When working for skills use jewels to get into the optimal range for the critter you are working and when farming for pets crank it up with as much jewels to make it that much easier to get your keeper pets.

J

joblackjon

Thanks for the info.

I thought skill level didn't matter and it was only the chance to Tame. I use jewelry so that I can usually find some critter that is in my range, plentiful and not to risky!

G

Nope, gains are based on success chance not your real skill ability and as I said earlier the best gains come from 45%-55% success chance on your target. This can be real skill or modified w/jewels. When working for skills use jewels to get into the optimal range for the critter you are working and when farming for pets crank it up with as much jewels to make it that much easier to get your keeper pets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit! No wonder my gains were slow then. I'm jewelled up to 113.5 and taming bulls, when my real skill of 93.5 would probably yield better results.

Drake

I

imported_Tina Small

At your skill level, I'd recommend taking off the jewelry and taming as many white wolves as you can, as fast as you can. (Donating them to the zoo is a good way to get rid of them and Baja needs more zoo points. LOL Or else release one and have the other kill it, while you bandage it for vet and lore gains.) Throw in some polar bears now and then and donate them too. Put the jewelry back on and go to Grimswind and tame ki-rins for 20 minutes or so and then go back to the white wolves. (The ki-rins will instantly respawn if you leave the facet, e.g., donate them to the zoo.) Make sure you work on some of your other skills in between (magery, barding skills). Don't forget while you have the jewelry off to be very careful about feeding and not giving commands to the pet you are riding if it is one that requires more taming and lore skill than you have without your jewelry on.

I've come to the conclusion that you get the best taming gains if you go more for volume than difficulty, don't stand in one spot the whole time, and also try to get gains in other skills at the same time. In other words, even though you are primarily trying to get taming gains, try to replicate how you would act if you were out hunting....you would move around, hit lots of targets of various difficulty levels, and you would be getting gains in multiple skills. I also always (or almost always) plan on the possibility that it COULD take me up to 45 minutes to get my first taming gain of the day. It usually doesn't, if I do the things I've suggested here and in a post I made the other day, but occasionally it does. Just don't give up.

Good luck with your tamer. I hope you're enjoying the process of working on it this time even more than the first time around!