• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] What is "Enable VSync"?

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

Connor_Graham

Exactly what is it? I can't see what it does if enabled or turned off other than making my client appear to refresh.

O

Old Man of UO

If you use VSync, it forces a full frame of graphics to your monitor before posting. This resolves some of the "tearing" that can be seen at times. There is a discussion of VSync in one of the other threads in this forum.

A couple things you should know about VSync. If you are using an LCD monitor, set the game FPS to 60 and enable VSync. Since the default refresh rate of an LCD is 60 Hz, they sync up nicely (unless you've changed it in your monitor settings, in which case change it back).

If you have a CRT monitor (old tube style) and have a refresh rate higher than 60 Hz (which we all used to do to get rid of the flicker), then you probably don't want VSync. If you monitor's refresh rate is higher than the game FPS, then your monitor has to wait part of a cycle to complete a full graphics page before posting it. The result can be an actual slow down of the video.

You can get around this if you have a monitor refresh rate 2X the game FPS (say 80 Hz for the monitor and 40 for the game), or set both to 60 FPS and 60 Hz.

For me, I saw a nice improvement with my LCD setting the game FPS to 60 and enabling VSync... everything looked "cleaner."

B

Beastmaster

Got a screenshot of this "tearing"?

Elaborate on "cleaner" please.

C

Connor_Graham

Ok, after doing some playing around, I've found that my monitor can go up to 75hz, but seems to be set at 60, which is what the SA client was defaulted to. I'm having severe lag issues though. My character is skipping around all over the place. Part of this has to do with the housing cache, as anytime I go near any houses, I freeze for a split second as I go past each one. Running through Ter Mur was even worse. I was able to run KR with everything set to the max so I'm not understanding why I'm having issues with SA.

B

Beastmaster

You are not alone. Alot of folks are skipping (aka rubberbanding) with this client. Like you I notice it around housing.

C

Connor_Graham

This is starting to get ridiculous. Between trying to figure out the very unintuitive macro system and trying to figure out how to move without freezing up constantly I haven't been able to do anything in game for over 4 hours now. I'm just about at the "screw it" stage. It shouldn't take half a day to figure out how to use the damn client, much less get it set up.

C

Connor_Graham

I still haven't been able to get the client to run smoothly, and am about sick of all the rubberbanding and freezing.

Mr.StinkyPants

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
did u turn the frame rate off>? it helped me dont rubberband anymore just lag a lot :wall: