• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is a good armor set for a Tamer ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A tamer should have high luck. Unfortunately, luck suits have very low resistances.

So, what to do ?

What is the best option or compromise, if you will, for tamers to keep them alive and yet, be of some use when hunting ?

What pieces ? What artifacts ? What modifiers should a tamer look for in a good and usefull armor set ?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
PvM or PvP? What template?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PvM or PvP? What template?

PvM and Mage Tamer.

Basically, 120 Animal Taming, Veterinary and Animal Lore (360 total)

Then 110 magery and 110 meditation (220 total)

And then leaving 140 points which I could either use for 110 Eval Int or 120 Spellweaving. If necessary I can use 110 Magic resistance instead of either Eval Int or Weaving.

Sometimes I put in a little chivalry for the remove curse spell to deal with Miasma.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the best option or compromise, if you will, for tamers to keep them alive and yet, be of some use when hunting ?

What pieces ? What artifacts ? What modifiers should a tamer look for in a good and usefull armor set ?
Player tactics (not the skill) are the best way to keep your tamer alive. Aside from that you will want the ideal suit for a mage tamer:
All 70s
100 LRC
and as much LMC, MR, FC, FCR, DCI and Luck you can get.

Who doesn't want the "ideal" suit though? I don't know how else to answer your questions.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My tamer bard has resists in the 30s like you, wears a luck suit with 100 lrc and some MR. But it's probably easier for a tamer bard to get away with low resists.

Centers around my Armour of Fortune with its 40 LRC and 200 luck. That 40 LRC is almost half of what I need for full LRC and gives me alot of leeway for the other pieces. The rest of my suit is made up from luck+LRC pieces from monster loot and enhanced with spined.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, there are many suits you could throw together, but if you wanna keep it simple (i.e., use arties instead of custom pieces), I'd do something like this:

Kasa of the Ra-jin
Pendant of the Magi
Rune Beetle Carapace
Stitcher's Mittens (if you're not elf, consider becoming elf)
Tome of Lost Knowledge
Chaos Shield - Museum of Vesper Replica
Birds of Brit if you need the extra taming/lore, otherwise Totem of the Void

Custom arms and legs with mods that bring you to 100 lrc, 40 lmc, and as much mr as possible.

If you're a weaver, you'll want 4 fc/6 fcr, so wear an ornament of the magician and a ring with 1/1. If you're not a weaver, wear a set of jewels that add to 1/3 total (non-weaver only needs 2/6).

Please keep in mind, mods are always more important that resists. I've tamed every creature, defeated every champ and peerless in the game with multiple toons - including a toon who wears the suit of armor above - and I've never had all 70s. 60s is absolutely fine for PvM. What's more important is 1) the mods (fc/fcr, 40 lmc, 10-12 mr) and 2) having enough str/hpi to bring you to 120 hp or higher.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Player tactics (not the skill) are the best way to keep your tamer alive. Aside from that you will want the ideal suit for a mage tamer:
All 70s
100 LRC
and as much LMC, MR, FC, FCR, DCI and Luck you can get.

Who doesn't want the "ideal" suit though? I don't know how else to answer your questions.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Well, but generally speaking the "best" armor for a Mage Tamer means also a hefty price tag....

I was more looking for something that even though it may not be the top of the top it still is of reasonable good help without costing a fortune....

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget to use the Anniversary Statue for a little more luck.

Stayin Alive,

BG

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please keep in mind, mods are always more important that resists. I've tamed every creature, defeated every champ and peerless in the game with multiple toons - including a toon who wears the suit of armor above - and I've never had all 70s. 60s is absolutely fine for PvM. What's more important is 1) the mods (fc/fcr, 40 lmc, 10-12 mr) and 2) having enough str/hpi to bring you to 120 hp or higher.

Thanks for the good advice.

One note about the mods vs resistances.

Is that valid only with top speed connections like cable or high speed dsl ?

For those still on dial up (slower responses) wouldn't resistances be preferable over mods ?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Well, I'm on DSL, so it's only slightly faster than dial-up. If you're worried about speed, at least get your fc/fcr sorted (2/6 for a mage, 4/6 for a weaver). Casting invis or heal more quickly can be a lifesaver.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, but generally speaking the "best" armor for a Mage Tamer means also a hefty price tag....

I was more looking for something that even though it may not be the top of the top it still is of reasonable good help without costing a fortune....
I never said it would be cheap :)

Shoot for 50s in resists with your armor. That will keep you getting beat up too bad. Get max FCR and FC. Use a mage weapon so you don't get hit as often. If you keep finding yourself in dicey situatiions, use the Invisibilty spell.

Stayin Alive,

BG

G

Gellor

As a tamer, you shouldn't be taking ANY damage. So resists take the back seat in my opinion.

My suit is just a plain lrc luck suit... minimal fc/fcr. I've got chuckles hat, the new mempo, and armor of fortune. I also sport swords of prosperity:thumbsup: My goal now is to find hand, leg, and arm pieces with 20 lrc and over 100 luck:next:

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, I am game, why do I want Luck on my Suit, unless as I believe I have read elsewhere, that if it aint 1200+ it aint gonna do you much good.

As to Suits, I mentioned elsewhere but I will repeat it here.

I center on:

Mage -0 Weapon, Magery 110+
DCI
LRC
LMC

What ever I can get after that with Phys Res, Fire Res and Poison Resist a higher priority than the rest

BUT OH YEAH, everything MUST BE MEDABLE :D

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My tamer bard has resists in the 30s like you, wears a luck suit with 100 lrc and some MR. But it's probably easier for a tamer bard to get away with low resists.

Centers around my Armour of Fortune with its 40 LRC and 200 luck. That 40 LRC is almost half of what I need for full LRC and gives me alot of leeway for the other pieces. The rest of my suit is made up from luck+LRC pieces from monster loot and enhanced with spined.

Thank you for the info. It is good to see that someone else with low resistances still has found ways to survive though, a Bard with area peace has somewhat more chances that a Mage who can only cast invisibility (unless interrupted, that is.)

N

Nenime

[...] a Mage who can only cast invisibility (unless interrupted, that is.)
When I'm in trouble I cast Protection which let me cast Cure, Heal and Invis without interruption. It reduces the resistance even more and slows down the casting speed, but for me it works.

N

Nenime

I can't log in so here's another 'advice' :dunce:

Have you thought about the Equip/Unequip feature? I have a good luck suit in my backpack. When a big boss is near the end, I swap suits for a few moments.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As a tamer, you shouldn't be taking ANY damage. So resists take the back seat in my opinion.

My suit is just a plain lrc luck suit... minimal fc/fcr. I've got chuckles hat, the new mempo, and armor of fortune. I also sport swords of prosperity:thumbsup: My goal now is to find hand, leg, and arm pieces with 20 lrc and over 100 luck:next:
As a Tamer you could take lots of damage lead taming. LOL A good all 70s with lrc and any other mods you can get suit comes in handy for this. Iknow, honor taming.

As a PvMer using a pet as your wep you should take little to no damage. Stay out of war mode if vetting or you could hit target and die easy. A good 1600 luck and 100 lrc is good for this.

Decide what you gonna do first and put on the right suit for it.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've pieced together many an LRC suit for my peace tamers on a number of shards without spending a lot of gold to do it. Start out with a cheap LRC suit someone has assembled and then buy replacement pieces for it as you go. You should be able to cobble something together with resists in the 50s and 60s and luck in the 300-600 range without spending a fortune (i.e., spending less than 500k).

And if you don't know how to make and save 500k with a newb tamer character, I really don't know what to tell you. And if you think 300-600 luck isn't good enough, then you must have unlimited storage or are incredibly picky. When I compare what I find as loot with a character that has 1000+ luck and one with 400-500 luck, I don't always see a huge difference in the mods on the items. What I notice is that the rate at which I acquire very nice pieces is slower, which means I can stay out hunting longer before having to go home and put away all the loot.

Also, with imbuing so close, I kind of like the idea of finding more pieces that aren't absolutely maxed out in so many mods that I can't fiddle with them a bit more. Guess I'm too easy to please in that regard and have been playing on too many shards where I don't have a house and the good stuff I find has to be stashed on a boat or two or three. I also plan to use imbuing to make pieces to finish off a suit and that can be easily replaced as they wear out without needing to acquire lots of relics or expensive ingredients.

G

Gellor

As a Tamer you could take lots of damage lead taming. LOL A good all 70s with lrc and any other mods you can get suit comes in handy for this. Iknow, honor taming.

As a PvMer using a pet as your wep you should take little to no damage. Stay out of war mode if vetting or you could hit target and die easy. A good 1600 luck and 100 lrc is good for this.

Decide what you gonna do first and put on the right suit for it.
There are two separate things going on:
You are talking about taming... and yes, you will take damage while trying to tame some of the big items. OTOH, if you beat down a tamable enough, you won't take any damage or minimal at best. I don't honor tame nor have I discord tamed. I beat stuff down then tame.

PvMing... aka killing stuff. Here you should not be taking any damage. Invis as needed and heal yourself. My tamer is a discord tamer. My pet gets on the thing I want to kill, I discord the thing, and I fill up my pack. I can't recall the last time I died with my tamer when I was paying attention:coco:

My tamer sits and vets his pet. I do not run around casting heals and greater heals on my pet. I've found vet heals much more damage than a greater heal ever will. OTOH, I've learned to be careful around monsters that switch targets:thumbsup:

I also don't run protection. Like PvP, small spells will always get off and getting stuck casting a large spell under protection WILL get you killed. Successfully cast small heals are more use than the failed greater heal:thumbsup:

C

Capt.E

I would agree with gellor, I have a few resists in the 20's on my 1336 luck suit. I did however gm running and legendary invis long ago.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for the info. It is good to see that someone else with low resistances still has found ways to survive though, a Bard with area peace has somewhat more chances that a Mage who can only cast invisibility (unless interrupted, that is.)
My suit has 100 phys resist so even with protection on, which is always im at 70. With armor of fortune's dci, quiver, a bracelet and 120 magery w swords of prosperity i rarely get hit. Add discord and even Paragon Balrons miss me a few times before i get my invis off if im not being careful or they spawn and attack too quickly.

I started putting this suit together when Samurai Empire came out and i was getting one hit killed when i was taming hiryu. This works well for taming cu's too.

Yes, tamers shouldn't be getting hit but when your in a mob and not just farming the same ol monster over and over its just not feasable...i res more people during these events than i should have to...which i find embarrassing if they aren't tamers themselves...

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Again, there's not a champ or peerless that I haven't completed on mutliple toons, including three tamers - necro/tamer, weaver/tamer, and archer/tamer. I've never, ever had all 70s.

Mods > resists.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again, there's not a champ or peerless that I haven't completed on mutliple toons, including three tamers - necro/tamer, weaver/tamer, and archer/tamer. I've never, ever had all 70s.

Mods > resists.
can you post your suits? how low in resists are you talking?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm not gonna post ever suit I've used, as I have 12 toons. I'll post my PvM weaver/tamer's suit, as he's the easiest toon to play through champs/peerless. Fallon has:

Kasa of the ra-jin
Pendant of the Magi
Rune Beetle Carapace
Stitcher's Mittens
Birds of Brit
Crimson Cincture
Quiver of Infinity
Ornament of the Magician
Tome of Lost Knowledge
Ring: 7 taming, 1 fc, 1 fcr
Arms: 2 mr, lrc, lmc
Legs: 2 mr, lrc, lmc

100 lrc, 40 lmc, 10 mr, 4/6, resists in the mid-60s. As you can see, this is a n00b/PvM suit - easily pieced together. Template is just normal weaver/mage/tamer, nothing fancy.

Champs completed: Bedlam, Labby, Twisted Weald, Tok, Rats, Reptiles, Undead, Arachnid, Oaks, Demon. Peerless completed: DH, Trav, Paroxy, Shimmer, Mel, Griz.

Questions?

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not gonna post ever suit I've used, as I have 12 toons. I'll post my PvM weaver/tamer's suit, as he's the easiest toon to play through champs/peerless. Fallon has:

Kasa of the ra-jin
Pendant of the Magi
Rune Beetle Carapace
Stitcher's Mittens
Birds of Brit
Crimson Cincture
Quiver of Infinity
Ornament of the Magician
Tome of Lost Knowledge
Ring: 7 taming, 1 fc, 1 fcr
Arms: 2 mr, lrc, lmc
Legs: 2 mr, lrc, lmc

100 lrc, 40 lmc, 10 mr, 4/6, resists in the mid-60s. As you can see, this is a n00b/PvM suit - easily pieced together. Template is just normal weaver/mage/tamer, nothing fancy.

Champs completed: Bedlam, Labby, Twisted Weald, Tok, Rats, Reptiles, Undead, Arachnid, Oaks, Demon. Peerless completed: DH, Trav, Paroxy, Shimmer, Mel, Griz.

Questions?
Ok thats a nice suit. Way out of the pricerange of a ton of people..who did you hide behind? hehe...Paroxy?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Ok thats a nice suit. Way out of the pricerange of a ton of people..who did you hide behind? hehe...Paroxy?
Paroxy. Used spells, obviously.

Fallon is a tamer. He hid behind a greater. :dunce:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Questions?

Yes please.
Thank you for the reply and congratulations for the nice suit.

In order to fill in with your needs, you list as part of your suit Arms: 2 mr, lrc, lmc and Legs: 2 mr, lrc, lmc. What else is with them ? Resistances ?

By the way, they are 2 MR, 2 LRC and 2 LMC each ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Mods > resists.

Which of the 3 did you find as more effective for Champions or Peerless between the necro/tamer, weaver/tamer, and archer/tamer ?

Or each template mix is most effective for a given Champion spawn or Peerless spawn but not another ?

Furthermore, what about their Intelligence/Strength/Stamina balances ?
They are all the same or they differ among the 3 different templates ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My suit has 100 phys resist so even with protection on, which is always im at 70. With armor of fortune's dci, quiver, a bracelet and 120 magery w swords of prosperity i rarely get hit. Add discord and even Paragon Balrons miss me a few times before i get my invis off if im not being careful or they spawn and attack too quickly.

I started putting this suit together when Samurai Empire came out and i was getting one hit killed when i was taming hiryu. This works well for taming cu's too.

Yes, tamers shouldn't be getting hit but when your in a mob and not just farming the same ol monster over and over its just not feasable...i res more people during these events than i should have to...which i find embarrassing if they aren't tamers themselves...

100 physical resist ? Wow

And what are the other resists if I may ask ?

Would you be so kind to post the suit you put together ?

Thanks.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
100 physical resist ? Wow

And what are the other resists if I may ask ?

Would you be so kind to post the suit you put together ?

Thanks.
Sure:
Jesters Hat of Chuckles
Armor of Fortune
Ring of Elements
Quiver of Infinity
Totem of the Void
Nocturne Earrings
Robe of the Eclipse
Pads of the Cu Sidhe (so i can cast remove curse for free w/some failures)
Bracelet Med +8 Luck 74 hci 10 dci 15 fire resist 9
Barbed Leather Gorget lrc 8 resists 20 5 12 15 16
Barbed Leather Sleeves Mr 2 lrc 20 resists 22 16 7 6 7
Spined Leather Gloves Stam 8 Luck 40 lrc 17 resists 20 8 17 6 14
Spined Leather Leggings Mr 2 Luck 140 lrc 16 resists 9 20 3 3 4
and the most important piece -
Swords of Prosperity -0 mage weapon so my 35 dci actually will do something with my 120 magery.
resists total 70 70 70 61 70 luck 999 mr 4 lrc 101 dci 35

I don't know about anyone else but lag is the worsed monster ability and lets face it...if you don't have resists and dci to defend yourself you are dead. Usually i come back from disconnects and long lag spikes just fine with this suit.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pads of the Cu Sidhe (so i can cast remove curse for free w/some failures)

Do you mean that stuff that Coli and Miasma hit with ?

Only wearing the Pads allow to remove it ?

By the way, I noticed there is no FC/FCR with your suit. You have no problems with that ?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm not able to check the resists of Fallon's arms and legs atm; I'm in Mexico and don't have access to UO.

The arms and legs each have 2 mr. They also have a combination of lrc, lmc, and resists to bring him to 40 lmc, 100 lrc, and 60s resists.

Regarding effectiveness, each toon has its individual strengths. Weaver/tamer is the easiest to play: you cast gift of renewal on your greater and then just stand around doing nothing (or perhaps case essence of wind). I like using my weaver/tamer for peerless for the spells word of death and gift of renewal.

Necro/tamer is slightly more complicated because 1) it requires some skills jewels to fill out the template and 2) I tend to do more casting with him than with Fallon. I like to use my necro/tamer for champs. First, anchor yourself to your greater and invis. Next, wait for everything to target your greater. Finally, wither away. Also, the nice thing about a necro/tamer is that the "animate dead" spell doesn't take up follower slots, which means at the tok champ (for example), you can have an army of 1 greater dragon and 3 skeletal dragons. Very fun! :thumbsup:

My archer/tamer is my favorite toon atm for one basic reason: he's harder to play. He doesn't have magery, so no invisibility or greater heals. Also, in addition to commanding your pet and keeping him healed, you have to be casting the chiv spells - EOO, consecrate, divine furry - and targeting stuff. More complicated, for sure, but also much higher damage output than the other two tamers.

All of them are very fun to play, but in order of "easiness," I'd say weaver/tamer, necro/tamer, and archer/tamer. Hope this helps, pal.

Regarding stats, I try to have enough strength and hp increasing items to bring my toons to 120 hp. I find that this makes a huge difference re: survivability. For the weaver, enough str to get him to 120 hp (or 119...just close as possible), 20 dex (including +5 from crimmy), and the rest in mana. For the necro, same thing. For archer, strength to bring him to 120, enough dex and stamina increase to bring him to 145 stamina (until I get some more stam increasing items, at least), and around 40-or-so intelligence (because he is an elf, this brings him to 60-or-so mana).

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

By the way, I noticed there is no FC/FCR with your suit. You have no problems with that ?
He is using the "protection spell" with his suit (hence this 100 physical resist). "Protection" keeps your casting from being interrupted, but it also brings your fc/fcr to 0. Hence, it would be useless for him to incorporate fc/fcr into his suit, due to "protection."

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

He is using the "protection spell" with his suit (hence this 100 physical resist). "Protection" keeps your casting from being interrupted, but it also brings your fc/fcr to 0. Hence, it would be useless for him to incorporate fc/fcr into his suit, due to "protection."
Actually, if I remember correctly,

Protection actually deducts 2 from your FC after all FC bonus from eqm have been calculated.

Eg without protection, if you wear eqm that gives FC 4, you get FC 2 for magery and 2 wasted FC (FC for magery caps at +2).

If you cast protection, that will reduce your FC to 0 (that 2 wasted FC is still wasted).

If you don't wear any FC eqm, your FC will be -2 after casting protection.

Also, protection doesn't affect FCR at all.

The pads of cu sidhe removing curses I didn't know about. How does it work? Do you need to be a human or will it work for elves too?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Serious ?

Casting protection on without having any Faster Casting bonus equals getting down to -2 FC?

Wow, that is SLOW casting in exchange for not being interrupted........

I wonder then what is worth it in the end.

Have the highest faster casting and forget about Protection or have protection and be a damn slow caster ?

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

Actually, if I remember correctly,

Protection actually deducts 2 from your FC after all FC bonus from eqm have been calculated.

Eg without protection, if you wear eqm that gives FC 4, you get FC 2 for magery and 2 wasted FC (FC for magery caps at +2).

If you cast protection, that will reduce your FC to 0 (that 2 wasted FC is still wasted).

The pads of cu sidhe removing curses I didn't know about. How does it work? Do you need to be a human or will it work for elves too?
Ah, did not realize. That's really good to know. Thanks!

G

Gellor

Have the highest faster casting and forget about Protection or have protection and be a damn slow caster ?
You must have missed my post about: better to get small spells off such as a small heal with no protection than die trying to get a large spell off such as a greater heal with protection on.

I've run into it this first hand.

Imagine if you will, you are casting a greater heal in slow motion due to protection. While you are casting, you get poisoned. Sure you get your greater heal off but it is useless to you. So while you are casting a cure, you will get ganked for more damage.

And it gets worse when you start castling bigger spells.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
You must have missed my post about: better to get small spells off such as a small heal with no protection than die trying to get a large spell off such as a greater heal with protection on.

I've run into it this first hand.

Imagine if you will, you are casting a greater heal in slow motion due to protection. While you are casting, you get poisoned. Sure you get your greater heal off but it is useless to you. So while you are casting a cure, you will get ganked for more damage.

And it gets worse when you start castling bigger spells.
I second this. PvMers need to learn to use the spell: in mani. If you're getting whacked on, you're gonna die trying to cast greater heal. With 2/6 fc/fc, you can cast heal nearly instantaneously.

As an emissary, I have lotta guild mates that like to try 'an PK me. They're amazed how long I stay alive with a buncha archers and mages targeting me. The secret is simple: constant heals (not attempting greater heal).

If you're in a pickle, rather than try to cast g. heal or invis, just start casting in mani as yourun away. It'll really help.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the risk of being perceived as attacking someone, ending up on their ignore list .... or worse ....

Now for another view of Casting Greater Heal and using Protection.

I am not in any sense gainsaying the previous opinions and advice.

I am saying my personal experience is that using Protection and Casting Greater Heals do not equal me dieing when Lead Taming a Greater Dragon, warding off the unwanted attentions of a Greater Dragon, Balron etc.

It MAY be that the combination of the Mage -0 +Mage 110+ and a high DCI alter my experience but I just flat out do NOT die to things because of me Casting Greater Heal.

Lag Monster Exploits by the Mobs(Greater Dragons, Balrons Etc) yeah I will die and I suspect I am not alone.

The Occasional One Two Punch in rapid succession, yeah I will die, again I suspect I am not alone.

I think it extremely conservative to state that 15 out 16 Deaths are due to me having a total Brain Fart or The Lag Monster assisting a Deadly Mob.

The 1 in 16 ... 90% are due to disconnects (real or self induced because of my stupidity in hitting Alt+F4).

There has been no intentional attack performed in this reply. If anything has offended anyone one, then it certainly was not my intent.

G

Gellor

EnigmaMaitreya, you are talking about one aspect of taming... and it is a "rarely" used part of being a tamer. Why does a tamer need to keep taming if he has close to "perfect" pet?

Even then, running without protection is 99.9% better than running with protection.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I like hunting. Champs are my favorite, and peerless a close second. I don't like taming greaters. I've tamed plenty of greaters...I'd rather be hunting. On the other hand, I have friends who almost exclusively tame greaters. Of course, they all honor-tame...

Long story short: if lead-taming greaters is your hobby - and this is a perfectly legitimate hobby, I don't disrespect you in the slightest - than build your suit one way. If you want to hunt primarily, I'd suggest mods and fc/fcr over resists and protection.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EnigmaMaitreya, you are talking about one aspect of taming... and it is a "rarely" used part of being a tamer. Why does a tamer need to keep taming if he has close to "perfect" pet?

Even then, running without protection is 99.9% better than running with protection.
I like hunting. Champs are my favorite, and peerless a close second. I don't like taming greaters. I've tamed plenty of greaters...I'd rather be hunting. On the other hand, I have friends who almost exclusively tame greaters. Of course, they all honor-tame...

Long story short: if lead-taming greaters is your hobby - and this is a perfectly legitimate hobby, I don't disrespect you in the slightest - than build your suit one way. If you want to hunt primarily, I'd suggest mods and fc/fcr over resists and protection.
At the risk of being perceived as attacking someone, ending up on their ignore list .... or worse ....

It is fair for you both to use my examples of dangerous encounters as a definitive play style.

If one will not accept an example as just an example then there is not much one can do to change someones viewpoint.

I appreciate that you have the firmness of your conviction that it is 99.9% better to not have protection than to have protection. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of what is superior based on their personal beliefs.

I do not run heavy mods on the armor, heavy as heck skill mods on the jewelry. I run an average 40% resist on Phy,C,E and 65% on Fire and 65% on Poison.

I fight in varied scenarios, the invasions/special events all of them, Paragon Balrons, Balrons, Greater Dragons, Paragon Cu's etc I do not die, I do not run out of mana.

If it is convenient for you to ask why a person that has said they have very good Pets, needs to tame new pets, then I will say that you must have missed the part where I stated I am constantly looking for upgrades and have not found (as in no need for me to tame anything) any in the last 6 months. I would not have thought it required to point out that puts me in a dangerous encounter scenario, just by being present in the Fel and Tram version of Destard were ... well I would have thought you would know, even a Stealth Tamer can be Revealed.

But if that works for you to use my generic examples of being in Dangerous Scenarios (All the Invasions/Special Events) to cast it as being a habitual tamer then ... so be it, I have done what I can to ... make sure you do know that is not the case.

As to the Mods FC/FCR *Shrug* I will take DCI and Mage -0 Mage 110+ Over those mods any day of the week. You can even throw in LMC (BUT NOT LRC :) ) and it wont make any difference. The why is the simplest of all things and I have stated it in the previous reply. I do not get interrupted casting GH, I do not die because I did not cast GH (as in got interrupted or was to long to cast), I do not die because I ran out of Mana.

As to the champion spawns, I primarily play Solo, hence they are not something I seek. Yet my travels doing my varied play style bring me into contact with people that are doing them. I ask if they could use help. If they say yes, then I do help. If it is convenient for you to believe I do not do champion spawns, then so be it.

I do not Seek to do Doom runs. If people are short and need help I will help. If it is convenient for you to believe I do not do Doom runs, then so be it.

I will 100% fess up to not being a Guru on how to get all of them to spawn and where all of the things are.

I do play Solo primarily.

There has been no intentional attack performed in this reply. If anything has offended anyone one, then it certainly was not my intent.

Pfloyd

Colorblind Collector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Pads because i'm human now and so i get the joat bonus and can use chiv with no skill points used.

fc really only helps when you are fighting single or small numbers of enemy. When you are ganked by multiple targets i've found that having the protection instead of getting disrupted to be more effective. I have tried it both ways and i find i like the protection of protection :)

Of course everyone has their preference.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
As you can see, Popps, there are many viewpoints. I've grown accustom to mine, they've grown accustom to theirs.

Bottom line, you're gonna have to try different methods and figure out what works for you.

Good luck.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pads because i'm human now and so i get the joat bonus and can use chiv with no skill points used.
AHHHHH! Now I understand :p

fc really only helps when you are fighting single or small numbers of enemy. When you are ganked by multiple targets i've found that having the protection instead of getting disrupted to be more effective. I have tried it both ways and i find i like the protection of protection :)

Of course everyone has their preference.
Me too.

I always use protection.

:p (if you are too young to catch the pun, nm)

Besides the heals and cures, there's also invis. It's a very impt life saver I use.

T

TruwenUO

So I am reading through this thread and am finding myself wondering things that I've been wondering since I started playing UO. Where to hunt for this stuff on my own. I have a sorcerers suit, but I am working on changing my character. With SA out I am redesigning him. Current primary skills are Taming, vet, lore (120 max, not max yet but will get there eventually). I have magery which I think I will take to 110, I usually use it for traveling around, marking, heals, protection (incase I need a quick out). And currently and looking at something like 80 hiding 80 stealth, and I think I was going 70 ninja.

Now with SA out I am reconsidering this and thinking about mysticism and focus. And using my token to switch to garg, cause gargs are neat and they can fly and I can have purple skin...*smile* So if I am to build a brand new caster friendly tamer suit where would I go. Keep in mind I have only been playing 6 months and have absolutely no crafters, my guild has crafters, but I will use them as a last resort/when I have the gear together for them to try and enhance.

Thanks for the replies.

hakeem

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What popps is wanting is someone to tell him how to get max resists suit, max mods, all for under 5k.
STFU popps