• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What if this happened to UO? Invinceability.

L

love2winalot

Hail: On another games web site they have Banner Adds, just like here on Stratics. Today one for for "Invinceability Mode" for WoW came up on my screen. I do not play that game, but if the banner add is true, i would expect a mass exodus from WoW. This might make all the little speedhacks and such here at UO seem like childs play...........

The banner basicly said a 3rd party program, "Undetcable" fools the client into thinking your charater is out of range to be attacked, by either NPCs, or Other Players. I guess we can all be glad they targeted WoW, and not UO. Maybe this will become like that 3rd party program that OSI had to put up with for years an years.

Hey WoW, Welcome to the world of internet gaming......hehehe

S

Sunrise

WoW...litterly...

Lets see how they like it for once..Hopefully they wil learn from past games and crack down on it before they lose there player base...

I mean heck they say they have 10 million players..they should have the money to crack down on it..time will only tell.. :D

C

controlfive

it's just a keylogger, there are no hacks in wow because blizzard has more than one gm per shard and a client that isn't over a decade old.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Dude I am already invincible in UO.
There is not death or loss anymore.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Hail: On another games web site they have Banner Adds, just like here on Stratics. Today one for for "Invinceability Mode" for WoW came up on my screen. I do not play that game, but if the banner add is true, i would expect a mass exodus from WoW. This might make all the little speedhacks and such here at UO seem like childs play...........

The banner basicly said a 3rd party program, "Undetcable" fools the client into thinking your charater is out of range to be attacked, by either NPCs, or Other Players. I guess we can all be glad they targeted WoW, and not UO. Maybe this will become like that 3rd party program that OSI had to put up with for years an years.

WoW has it's own ways of dealing with people that make Illegal 3rd party programs. Blizzard sued one of them and was awarded 6 million dollars. I wouldn't mind EA taking a note out of Blizzards book on that to be honest.

D

daisuke

if ya want to play an mmo without hackers, just play a dead one! i havent seen a speedhacker on DAOC for like 2 years :sad4:

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Believe it or not I think various variations of this sort of hack have been around for a long time. I haven't played WOW in a year, but back when I used to PvP in WOW, there were certain players (and this is why I excluded the possibility of just server or client-based lag, it didn't happen uniformly, only with certain players) that in the battlegrounds, during a running battle (which most of the pvp games are) I would have the problem of taking damage from someone who I had set as my attack target and would get repeatedly spammed with the "Target is out of range" message. Yet I'm taking damage from them as we are both running.

It shouldn't, technically, be possible at all in WOW for two players out of weapons range, set to attack each other, for one to hit the other and the other to be "out of range" with melee weapons. Yet with the high killcount farmers who camped out in PvP Battlegrounds, I would see it happen quite a bit.

WoW has it's own ways of dealing with people that make Illegal 3rd party programs. Blizzard sued one of them and was awarded 6 million dollars. I wouldn't mind EA taking a note out of Blizzards book on that to be honest.
I guess it would have to be worth their while. If hacks running rampant cost Blizzard 38,000 players that's 6 million lost in a year. And 38,000 players are like some flies on the dragon's backside in terms of WOW's total subscriber base. So it more than justifies the potential cost of legal action.

With UO.... 38,000 players would be what, a fourth of the total subscription base today.