• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What happens if you're on a tamer mount when you soulstone taming/lore off?

belgare231

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haven't played in forever and forgot taming mechanics plus soulstones are new to me.

If I had, say a nightmare, told it to guard me then soulstoned lore off, would it continue to guard me, even after mounting/dismounting?

What about if I soulstoned taming and/or lore off while being mounted and stay mounted on the pet? Does it go poof or stay with me?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never had it happen to me nor tried it, but I would imagine that what "could" happen, losing the skill(s) that are required to control the pet, that at the next skill(s) check (so in x time...), the pet could go wild.

Now, depending on where this might happen, you could just pick up the skill(s) again and retame it or loose it for getting killed (for example if this happened at a bank and a NPC Guard whacked it after going wild...).

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In the first scenario, if you were off the mare, told it to guard you, and then stone off lore, I would strongly guess that it would continue to guard you until you issued another command, which it would probably ignore and thus start losing loyalty. Simply having even 120 taming would not be enough to fully control the mare. I'm also pretty sure it would not let you mount it again, stating something like "you don't have the necessary skill".

I have actually been mounted on a nightmare and stoned off both skills and stayed mounted. I didn't get kicked off for not having the requisite skill, but I also did not log off to see if I would be on foot when I logged back in.

Any other tamers feel free to correct me if I have it wrong, but that's how I remember it.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I knew a player on Europa who stoned of his taming skills. He could mount and dismount the mare without problems but could not give it commands. If it died he went home, used a pet ball to get it home then icq'd me to come rez it.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Haven't played in forever and forgot taming mechanics plus soulstones are new to me.

If I had, say a nightmare, told it to guard me then soulstoned lore off, would it continue to guard me, even after mounting/dismounting?

What about if I soulstoned taming and/or lore off while being mounted and stay mounted on the pet? Does it go poof or stay with me?
If you tell a pet to guard and mount it, it may stay guarding you. However if you then dismount there is a chance it will set off in pursuit of spawn and you cannot control it from there. Recalling out with that pet might then result in it running off screen in confusion because the target it was pursuing was lost. Unless you want a lot of UO exercise I wouldn't recommend it...

I wouldn't expect a pet to boot you off or vanish immediately if you soulstoned your skill off, however it may lose loyalty to you even while you're mounted and go wild. You could try feeding it a lot to keep it happy.

However... I'm not sure if this made it in the final worldwide publish because I saw some notes without it and some with *shrugs*, but this set of notes for Publish 85.3 contained this:
I don't know if that fix means a pet won't lose loyalty if you lack skill to control it, or whether it referred to a bug with pets going wild. I'm hoping it was the later but the notes are frustratingly vague at times :)

So to sum up, I think if you were going to drop skill then you need to be prepared for problems, and as long as you accept the risks then by all means try it (in unpopulated areas hehe!). Test centre would be a good option here, try doing what you intend and see what happens.

Wenchy

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Good answers all over the place.. the only thing I would add is that guard always seemed to have a timer on it even if your skill was 120/120. I know I have been bank sitting for a few hours and seen the "guarded" line disappear on it's own even with line of sight from the pet to me.

Darius Bloodbain

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Good answers all over the place.. the only thing I would add is that guard always seemed to have a timer on it even if your skill was 120/120. I know I have been bank sitting for a few hours and seen the "guarded" line disappear on it's own even with line of sight from the pet to me.
Ive noticed that also, when I am sitting still with no activity like at a bank as you mentioned.
Ive also noticed that guard mode lasts much longer if you are doing a spawn for a length of time and
something is targeting you at regular intervals.
I have never tried stoning my taming skills but sounds like as long as you are riding or not giving commands
it would work for a good while. I actually think they added in a recent patch if i am not mistaken that
pets no longer will go wild while mounted.