• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] What do you wear?

C

Caelas

Right now my newbie miner is wearing random crap armor he's picked up off the ground, jewelry with some extra strength on it, and a pair of +5 mining gloves provided from my wife :)

Is there any particular armor you wear while mining / lumberjacking / crafting? I hate to think I'm missing something obvious.

N

Natalie Black

I wear a darkwood suit. Keeps me from dieing to random spawn and even gives me more time to escape PKs.

C

Caelas

Good for elves, but I run a human for the extra amount i can carry. Any suggestions there? My guy has 0 fighting skills....all gathering, crafting, and a bit of chiv to be able to SJ.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is specific to your template, not mine, but here are some suggestions.

human-wearable Fey leggings & (circlet-style) Aegis of Grace (the non-elf-only version of the legs only comes off peerless bosses as loot), would give you 40% Defense Chance Increase combined, and 10 resist spells, should you decide to add some from jewelry, etc. Toss on a Quiver of infinity and you're at max DCI (and since monsters don't have HLD, you don't need more on jewelry). It would also leave your shield hand open for potion taking.

Dread's Revenge (peerless loot) is a kryss with +20 fencing, so if you toss on a couple of +15 jewelry for fencing, that would be 50, and enough to use for self defense against most monsters you'll encounter in mining, especially combined with the chivalry.

Items that raise strength are also good, but as a human with presumably 125 STR when you finish training, you won't need much of that to get where your max weight is more than your worn gear + the 550 stone pack capacity.

Only wear the mining gloves when you are smelting, until you hit 100 real skill. While smelting skill gains for mining are based on difficulty of smelt, gains from the actual mining are based on chance of failure, and you always have a chance to not dig up anything, until you hit 100. So, you can't gain from the digging process if your gloves are worn, and put you at 100 or more.

then, of course, is the obligitory recommendation that if you haven't already, get a fire beetle, and bond it.

Also, do all your smith item recycling with a salvage bag, for the extra ingot per item bonus. The bag can also be used to hold bone piles looted off monsters, that you can cut all at once to make the crafting ingredient with just using the bag (and they won't fall to your feet if overweight, like doing the old fashioned one at a time with scissors method does).

B

broketail

The fire beetle is awsome. (Sorry for being off topic here...) But, where do you get 'em? I had one I bought at the bank long ago, but it died when I was PK'd a while back. I've tried to spam "fire beetle wanted" at the banks in GL, but with no luck...

Thanks!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They are a tamable in the back of the Yomotsu mines, south of the moongate, Homare-jima.

Takes about GM taming to tame one (though ownable thereafter by anyone), the locals are dangerous, and you have to ride it out of the mine (since you can't recall in the mines)