• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What do you love about UO

Vince Lupo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm curious to know what keeps everyone playing and what would enhance your experiences on your current shard. I enjoy AoS personally because it was such a controversial era for the game. Anyone else still prefer it too?

1. What aspect of UO do you enjoy most? What keeps you playing?

2. If you could change one thing about your current UO shard, what would it be?

3. If you could add a concept to the game to enhance your playing experience, what would it be?

4. If you could remove one concept/aspect from the game, what would it be?

All responses appreciated!!!!!!!

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. The People

2. I'd want the pvp'ers to stop spamming general chat with their trashtalk all day, or at least move to a pvp channel (Atlantic)

3. I would add new content such as dungeons, cities or facets.

4. I would remove the ability that lets guild members steal from other guild and alliance members, that way guilds don't have to be so suspicious of everyone they recruit and less people get robbed.

Last edited:

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
1. The People

2. I'd want the pvp'ers to stop spamming general chat with their trashtalk all day, or at least move to a pvp channel (Atlantic)

4. I would remove the ability that lets guild members steal from other guild an alliance members, that way guilds don't have to be so suspicious of everyone they recruit and less people get robbed.
What he said

Zerbee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. The People

4. I would remove the ability that lets guild members steal from other guild an alliance members, that way guilds don't have to be so suspicious of everyone they recruit and less people get robbed.
What he said as well, except for #4.
Thieves do not need anymore hits to their playstyle.

4) Remove the restriction of not being able to easily remove disguise kits, so thieves can enter guilds easier and rob people.

Beldin Brightaxe

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excellent post.

1.) Housing for me. It's the original thing that got me interested and it still keeps me interested.

2.) I would love to see more RP going on. Maybe I'm just missing where it's going on.

3.) Not really a concept that I'd like added to the game, I would just like to see more folks playing. Hopefully Steam will help out in that area. Besides that, I would like to see more options, tiles, and graphics related to housing. Customizable keeps and castles, or at the very least, optional designs for the two largest homes in UO.

4.) This is a tough one for me. I'm not sure I want anything removed. I was thinking that it'd be nice if the complexity of crafting weapons and armor was simplified. I'm learning, but it's hard to figure out all the options that you can do.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm curious to know what keeps everyone playing and what would enhance your experiences on your current shard. I enjoy AoS personally because it was such a controversial era for the game. Anyone else still prefer it too?

3. If you could add a concept to the game to enhance your playing experience, what would it be?

1. EM Events

2. Nothing really bothers me about Altantic

3. More PvP content

4. Subscription

BadBart

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Wow I could write a novel here on why I love Ultima online but I would say the people. Capt Norrigan, Bluntman, Queen Arya, orich, Atlanitc Realtor, Erebus, NYX, EM Bennu, GM Rakiban, all these people and many more make Ultima Online an awesome place to be. Playing UO after a hard days work makes it worthwhile. I have never met any of these people but they are awesome! They make the Atlantic community a GREAT PLACE! I also agree with Capt the pvp are very annoying spamming how one guy is a noob because he runs to the guards but I don't blame him when you have 14 reds chasing one guy........

The support system we have in UO is great to, as a player that's been on for a long time I don't have the answers to everything and when i page a GM they always come, and its usually GM Rakiban. he has a great knowledge to the game and stays till the problem is fixed. i always wait for him next to his head on a spike to remind him if he don't fix my problem.....well he gets the idea LOL!

The events from our EM's are amazing and they do a great job at it. I cant imagine all the time and effort it takes for them to do it, but it is well worth it.

Ultima Online is a huge part of my gaming life and I hope it last forever.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Spelled my name wrong badbart lol ;) thank you for including me in your list though

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uo never ends.

More players.

I liked getting booted from spawns when you died. And I think everyone should get stat when you die in pvp .. makes battles winnable against higher numbers (when fighting with less players)

Nothing.

Rex Truesails

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
returning vet I missed the sand box environment and the people was so happy when I found out atlantic actually had people on it!!I only left because my old server was empty. the primary draw for me is the high seas expansion which I only recently found out about. I loved potsb and Eve for being able to command vessels but didn't like the rest of their game. being a ship captain in uo lets me do all the stuff I liked in those two games plus a really good off the ship experience as well.

the extreme price gouging and monopolizing that goes on in atlantic shard. the economy is not supportive to a new or returning player at all. however people have been so generous it sort of makes up for it.

I would have all skills avaidible to one character via infinite soulstone etc. I would make it so you could swap between crafting / fighting easily by being able to save "builds" you would still be limited to 720 ish skill point cap "equipped" but swapping in and out of characters is annoying to me soulstones let you do it already but aqcuiring enough to open all the skills up for one character would take years. alts should be avaidible but not a requirement.

power/ stat scrolls - they make pvp imbalanced disproportionaly to the wealthy / veteran . they encourage people to buy from gold vendors and the gap between vet and new player is so large it would take years to close if the game was played legitimately. I for one gave up on pvp when I opened a gankers paperdoll and added up how much it would cost just to equip his armor. over a billion gold. really? on top of that the stat increases and power scrolls? disappointing uo went to pay to win gear to win / grind to win just like all the other mmorpgs out there. in addition the pvp is meaningless unless youre fighting for a powerscroll however if you don't pvp you can make do with the 105s and 110s from trammel / ilsh just fine. the vice versus virtue thing theyre working on now may address some of the issues I have with pvp but it doesn't matter what carrots they dangle im not going to participate unless they can reduce some of the advantages the more established players. I'm not saying make being a vet non helpful at all but seriously stat bonuses plus billion gold armor = F that ill go captain my ship in trammel. judging by the emptiness of fel I would say 90% of the player base has reached the same conclusion.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
returning vet I missed the sand box environment and the people was so happy when I found out atlantic actually had people on it!!I only left because my old server was empty. the primary draw for me is the high seas expansion which I only recently found out about. I loved potsb and Eve for being able to command vessels but didn't like the rest of their game. being a ship captain in uo lets me do all the stuff I liked in those two games plus a really good off the ship experience as well.

the extreme price gouging and monopolizing that goes on in atlantic shard. the economy is not supportive to a new or returning player at all. however people have been so generous it sort of makes up for it.

I would have all skills avaidible to one character via infinite soulstone etc. I would make it so you could swap between crafting / fighting easily by being able to save "builds" you would still be limited to 720 ish skill point cap "equipped" but swapping in and out of characters is annoying to me soulstones let you do it already but aqcuiring enough to open all the skills up for one character would take years. alts should be avaidible but not a requirement.

power/ stat scrolls - they make pvp imbalanced disproportionaly to the wealthy / veteran . they encourage people to buy from gold vendors and the gap between vet and new player is so large it would take years to close if the game was played legitimately. I for one gave up on pvp when I opened a gankers paperdoll and added up how much it would cost just to equip his armor. over a billion gold. really? on top of that the stat increases and power scrolls? disappointing uo went to pay to win gear to win / grind to win just like all the other mmorpgs out there. in addition the pvp is meaningless unless youre fighting for a powerscroll however if you don't pvp you can make do with the 105s and 110s from trammel / ilsh just fine. the vice versus virtue thing theyre working on now may address some of the issues I have with pvp but it doesn't matter what carrots they dangle im not going to participate unless they can reduce some of the advantages the more established players. I'm not saying make being a vet non helpful at all but seriously stat bonuses plus billion gold armor = F that ill go captain my ship in trammel. judging by the emptiness of fel I would say 90% of the player base has reached the same conclusion.

On your pvp points. A decent suit to start with.. And hunting over time you can make a decent suit.. Even a good starter suit you can pvp just fine. Imo of course... My suit gets laughed at but it works for now..

Second if you are in need of any power scrolls let me know which ones i would be happy to get you or any returning player on his way to 120's.. :)

Marquis de Sade 209

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[
1. The Community
2. Pvpers in gen chat with their trash talk if they win and excuses if they lose
3. Orcish race, new metals, leathers and other resources
4. waiting for a pet rez at npc vet,

Theron

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
1. Love that's it's a SandBox Game and the incredible community. No other game like it around, even a new player told me that yesterday on Europa.
2. Attract more players / maybe increase from 720 to 800 the skill cap and that's a BIG Maybe...
3. In game cross shard auctions or at least item sales, I would really love this and I don't think it's that far fetched now that we have vendor search and people regularly traveling across shards anyway. It would certainly change the economy, I can guarantee that.
4. LAAAAAAG!!!!

Last edited:

iLLegal Means

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. Crafting... I've always enjoyed the aspect of making things in UO... addicted to BoDs

2. Too many high end magical items in game.. I'm old school and still remember when a GM Smith was regarded with high respect... when I first started playing a Smith could stand at the forge in Brit and make serious gold making stuff for paying customers. Now GM smith or Tailor is not really needed and imbuing is going by the way side too because all the high end loot items flooding the world.

3. Spoke on chat with some folks lately and came to the conclusion that cannons for the ships, if made from high end ore should do more damage or have special weapon moves properties like load a double canister shot, or shoot farther.

4. unattended macroing has to go... tired of seeing folks macroing in town.

Duncan McDermott

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

Number one response is the Players! They have to be the best of any game I have ever played Good or evil.

PurplePotion

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
A: This is really an even split for me. The people for one, I made a friend in UO in 1998 and we've managed to stay friends through many life changes. He also just follow me back into UO as a matter of fact. I also love the fact that you can drag and drop stuff onto the ground. I know it doesn't seem big until you try it in most other games and the item goes 'poof', and your all like 'How am I going to trash up this town if I can't leave all my garbage on the ground?'.

A: More lower priced vendors/Less consistently empty vendors. I'd love to see a vendor without any items for sale for a set amount of time be fired. There is nothing more depressing then running up to a house of vendors to find every one empty.

A: Orcish Race/Goblin Races. Orc masks never cut it.

A: Ugly housing decorations/the ability to make a horrible looking house. Maybe appoint me to be a housing inspector so I can go around and condemn the houses with 14 different wall styles.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The aspect of UO that I enjoy the most is the people. The people are the best in the many mmorpg's I have played, which is about every single one of significance. What keeps me playing is the housing and decoration aspect. The collectables.

Not sure right now, I love Atlantic shard, it has always kept my interest.

I would like to see some of the rule sets or at least as many people that used to run around Felucca as used to be the case. Maybe I'm just zigging when they're zagging :p

In terms of game enhancements or mechanics, a greater variety of dungeons. Yes, there are many when you know your UO geography, but some other unique ones in the same realm of vicinity as the old peerless dungeons.

Not sure at this time, I like many of the changes that have occurred over the years.

codemonkey84

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I'm a returning player too on a new account so this should be fun

1. The people of course. But also the skill based game vs. level based game. This means i can change a char's template and it'll mean something but also won't force me to grind for weeks on end to get it maxed (except taming....taming is a perma skill)

2. RMT spammers on chat and empty vendors. The first are annoying and the second is a little depressing

3. In-game private messaging and friend lists along with a good LFG system (account wide for both). Don't like needing an additional program needed for something that is standard for a lot of other mmo's

4. 120 power/stat scrolls only dropping in fel. Makes it hard when you have to buy these things instead of working for them. I understood it when the system first started but now it's a double edged sword for new players... Can't do the champs becuase you're gear isn't good enough and can't get good enough gear because your template is only half finished...