• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What do I lose to become an Elf?

• Thread starter Duncan McDermott
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Duncan McDermott

I thought I read that you lose some STR when you become an elf. How much do you lose and is that the only downfall to becoming an elf?

T

T_Amon_from_work

I thought I read that you lose some STR when you become an elf. How much do you lose and is that the only downfall to becoming an elf?
STR loss is that humans can carry more than what is based on STR formula - my Miner is 125 STR and is max carry of 550 (100+ stone more than STR formula).

Humans regen HP faster than Elves

Humans have better chance of finding MORE resources (ore, wood, etc)

JoAT of 20 in all skills

Ref - Stratics page on Humans.

===
Elves on the other hand ...

Have Nightsight

Added Energy resist (+5 to this) - cap will show elf with 75 I believe

Can locate the rare resources (wood, ore) better

More difficult to track

Can better detect hidden mobs and enemies

Increased mana to some extent (I don't know the number)

Ref - Stratics page on Elves.

D

Duncan McDermott

nightsight, difficult to track, extra mana, locating rare resources all sound good to me. I am tired of being left in the dark in a dungeon. The little loss on carrying capacity dosn't sound that bad to me. Thanks T'Amon

Painted Elves

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also...If you have rare hair colorings on your character you'll have to redye it after becoming an elf.
or so I believe....

F

FarukAlazar

The mana increase for an elf is +20. So a human starts with 10 int/ 10 mana, an elf starts with 10 int / 30 mana.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Human: Can use special moves at -10 cost at 120 Weapon skill (and no other qualifiers), or a total of 140 in two qualifiers (70+ in weapon & the rest in 1 other qualifier). An elf needs 300 skill points in qualifiers to do this (most likely for Samurais & Ninja). If you aren't running a Samurai or Ninja, and are a weapon user that uses special moves, you're better off human, as the special move cost reduction will more than offset the 20 extra mana within 10 seconds.

The JOAT also makes humans without points in Focus recover stamina and Mana faster than an elf without the skill, and mana faster if a character without real Med skill. My humans with neither, but wearing medable armor don't miss the skills - but having at least one is mandatory for an elf (having 20 more max mana means nothing if you have no regen).

Non-tamer Humans can use JOAT to lore their mounts
Humans have the ability to use low-end chivalry spells without skill (but with a substantial chance of fizzle) - the ability to close wounds before running back for a corpse is a great thing.
Humans can also do the spellweaving quest and cast Arcane Circle, Gift of Renewal, Nature's Fury & a few other spells at 0 real skill with JOAT, and the effects can be incredible with a level 5 focus (that you can get by getting 4 other people without real SW skill on a circle) - Gift of renewal lasts almost a minute, at 9 or 10 HP every 2 seconds, when cast with a level 5 focus by a human using JOAT.

And those are just the most obvious benefits of the JOAT - other skills have more, but the complete list are on the old boards waiting to be restored.

D

Duncan McDermott

Well it seems I am on hold now because Darius is too busy. I did the SW quest a few days ago. I only have the skill to 70 just now as I am on Siege. Will being a Elf cramp my style as a SW? Will it lower the amount I will gain from a focus group? I still have time to rethink this if I need to until Darius gets unbusy. I will be a crafter with magery to get around. I do have med but no focus. No weapon skill will I have. Should I go for it still?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, spellweaving is not affected by what race your char is. My spellweaver on Europa is an elf, likewise my crafter on Siege.

D

Duncan McDermott

That's good to know Petra, now if I can just get Darius to get unbusy

*EDIT* Darius made me a Elf today finally. He has quite a busy schedule. I dropped from being able to carry 539 to 477 stones. That is more than I expected heck that is 62 stones. Can an Elf be that fragile?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Non-tamer Humans can use JOAT to lore their mounts
It's a little known fact... You can lore pets at 0 lore. It will take a few tries, but you can do it.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
but, it's a bit easier for a human to do, than an Elf.