What Client Is Best?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
S

Shioni

As many of you know there has been five clients that run UO now and soon to be a 6th

2d, 3d, Iris1, Iris2, KR, and soon SA...

Its very obvious that more then 50% of the community use 2d, and it also obvious that it looks terrible.

After a few years the 3d client came along with the promise of a new way to play the game. However the title 3d should have been enhanced 2d because the only thing 3d about it was the character models and fluid animations.

At some point in developing the 3d Client EA made the UO source code freely available allowing a team of elite fans to create The Iris client. (http://www.iris2.de/index.php/Team)

This client was never acknowledged, but it was a true 3d game. Using just a lot of the 3d clients resources for characters models.

Latter along the line EA got the idea of making a brand new HD client. KR was rushed out of the door and most of its high end HD art was scrapped so people could enjoy it on low end machines.

Now we are up to present day time, EA promises they focus has been on game design, game balance, testing, focus groups, Events, content.

I know what its like working your butt off making promisies you know you cant keep, but at some point you have to stop and look at the bigger picture.

Is SA going to work for us?

I bring this up now because I noticed with the new Content pictures posted for the SA web page (http://www.uoherald.com/stygianabyss/) It looks 99% KR with a new name.

I don't suppose crying about how terrible the KR targeting system, any minor glitches will fix them, but If I at least point out the obvious no one is going to be dumb founded saying, "Why didn't anyone tell us it was broken."

My vote for best client will always go to 3d, modding the monsters textures with Photo shop was the best part. :D

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
Everything but 2D is and will be crap.

3D was worthless.

K

Kiminality

Moose, you're about as unpredictable as the Darkfall delay...

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
Oh, sorry Kimoo, should my opinion change like the wind?

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 1, 2000
Make your own damn sandwich, I did all the work.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 27, 2004
(stop talking about food, you are making me hungry)

Does the KR client have re-sizable containers yet? I stopped playing when they took away my 3d client cuz I can't find anything in the stupid 2d containers.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 6, 2008
The graphics, per se, did not much change my opinion of 3d. They were neither so good that I "had to play 3d" nor so bad that I didn't see a bit of improvement. However, on a PC that can run games like WOW, Oblivion and such.... choking and having choppiness and general lag playing KR is rather inexcusable. I suspect it's something inefficient about the client's use of resources, rather than my PC. At any rate, for a variety of reasons, KR was not worth trying to figure out why it didn't run well, and I got the 2d client three or four days after returning to UO. Aside from occasionally using KR for highly specific things (making a large amount of a crafted item I won't fail on, or, buying out NPC vendors to increase spawn of resources), I never use it. It is AWFUL for combat, targetting is awful, the lag is awful, and the bugs make it very dangerous.

Reasons KR would never be better than 2d no matter how great its graphics were:

1) The drag bug. I know this isn't just me, it happens all the time to my next door neighbor in game who plays 3d. You drag a couple of things and then it bugs up to where you can't drag anything, until you restart UO. Happens VERY frequently trying to loot, or redecorate the house, or place items.

2) The "direction" bug. This is where suddenly my little cursor is only pointing one way.... so even if I'm trying to run the opposite direction... say south.. my character trots off north. Requires a recall or gate hop or restart to fix.

3) Macro hotkeys simply stop working randomly. Have to reset the hotkey, SOMETIMES that fixes it, other times need a restart.

4) Made the macro system too dependent on whatever you are currently nameplate targetting... when it's too easy to accidentally have something else appear as the nameplate target, and too difficult to reliably click on whatever you're trying to target.

5) KR's combat system BADLY needs default hotkeys like target nearest mob, target ally, target ally's attacker, etc. Extremely difficult and aggravating trying to find specific mobs with big swamp dragons and greater dragons blocking out your ability to click on a specific mob... or even figure out which mob is on who.

6) Buggy client when you alt-tab... menus start moving around following your mouse even when the game is minimized.

7) The horrible slot-based bag system. The 2d lets you organize bags very hand-placed.... and a lot of people have put a lot of effort into nice presentation of their NPC vendor inventories and such. This is, of course, wasted completely on KR's bag system, where it just looks like random items bizarrely placed in random order. And vice-versa, I always know while in 2d which vendorhouses are owned by people who only play 3d... because their vendor inventories look like random jumbles of items thrown on top of each other carelessly. Why did they change this? I see no real advantage to this change.

8) Significantly longer "catch up loading" times when you gate or moongate. This can = death.

9) Sluggish and inefficient menus which end up blocking most of the screen and take too long to open or browse... like the spellbook or the skill tabs or even buy/sell menus. These things block so much of your vision that I've been killed just because I couldn't close them fast enough and react when a player came up and attacked me. This leads me to...

10) For the love of god make KR's menu's closeable with a right-click. Half the time I go try to hit the teeny tiny "x" button to close the menu, I end up missing it and dragging the menu instead of closing it. It's like an aggravating minigame just to close open menu windows. Or make the close button huge.

Now I will list the benefits of KR that are of any use to me. There may be others you all will bring forth but I never discovered them.

1) Please add a "buy all" option to the 2d's buy menu. I go to KR just to use this, when I'm buying large amounts of scrolls/regs.

2) Seeing NPC healers on the minimap is nice when dead. Again, something that probably would be nice to have in 2d... but doable without.

3) Crafting very large amounts of unlikely to fail items is better in 3d. Being able to mark as quest item as you create it is also nice.

That's..... it. So no level of graphical omg-ness will ever get me to play KR, or anything that has similar levels of bad interface and bugginess.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 27, 2004
1) Please add a "buy all" option to the 2d's buy menu. I go to KR just to use this, when I'm buying large amounts of scrolls/regs.
It's been years since I played but I think I remember them adding this to the 2d client a long time ago, I think it's hold down either ctrl or shift when you click or double click on an item to buy all.

Duskofdead

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 6, 2008
It's been years since I played but I think I remember them adding this to the 2d client a long time ago, I think it's hold down either ctrl or shift when you click or double click on an item to buy all.
Does that work for BUYING in 2d? I know holding down shift lets you move whole stacks of objects without being prompted "how many." I'll give it a shot though, that's sexy if it works for purchasing. :)

K

Kensai Tsunami

yup control shift does work in 2d. used it just a while ago. i cant stand kr. it does run much better now but its art is incredibly ugly and muddy looking.