• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What Are the Best Buys and Worst Buys You Made in UO?

M

MYUO

Tell us what items (including any items, houses, tokens, etc.) that you bought that you feel most or least useful. Please skip the ones like "I bought an orny at NPC price on player vendor because the owner forgot to price it", and "my worst buy is paying EA for the last x years".

My first best buy is buying a small marble 7 years ago for 250k after being homeless during my 1st year in UO. Only after that, I start to apprciate the advantage of having a house over living on bank box.

My second best buy is buying an advanced char token for 8mil or so and made a tamer 3-4 years ago. With approperite equipment, my newbie tamer instantly become viable in mid-high end pvm and since then become my main pvm char. The token is sold by EA for $30 but thanks for several promotions, their prices in gold is very attractive.

My worst buy is paying 100-500k (big money at that time) each for my vast collection of vanquish weapons, lots of them are silver, and invulnerable armors. Needless to say, after AOS, they became garbage.

Another worst buy is buying an "old" shovel that has no charge on it. Hoping for unlimited uses, I spend a couple of hundread K for it. Unfortunately, it turned into 50 charges after its first use - A 99.9% loss on my investment.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Worst buy was when I bought a serpents fang which I paid over a million for. I forgot how much. and then aos came out and it turned into nox crystal. well needless to say I was not happy about that. :sad4:

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
best ever was trading a vorpal blade for a shroud of shadows.
Worst was paying 450k for a hallowed spellbook, before finding out its a haven item.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bought a crimson cincture right when they came out for a high price but I think it was worth it to just buy it and not have to worry about getting one.

It wasn't THAT high anyway only like 27 when they first came out. Of course 27 mil was worth more back then than it is now.

Best was buying a very good ring on a vendor for only 2 mil. It is easily worth 10+

L

Loqucious

Worst buy - jackals collar for 28 mil right before the Doom arty change.

Best buy - Hooded Shroud of Shadows on ebay for 87 cents.

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Worst was trading a Singing Ball for a Voice of Fallen King before I knew that it was rare and quite valuable.

Best was my Fel Castle in a semi secluded location which I love. Only cost me around 120 mil. A lot of gold but well worth it. I love the storage, and the location, and finally met my biggest UO goal.

R

RavenWinterHawk

Thats easy
I bought 3 green rubble plants for 30 million. They were the first to spawn when the event started but before the rubble destruction started.

I figured all the future rubble would be blackened. I thought 30 mill was a good deal to have green rubble plants. I was counting my gold.

Little did I know that once the plant was blackened and picked as rubble...

NOTHING BUT GREEN PLANTS would continue to sprout as rubble.

Ah well.

Good deals... Lots. Buy and resell.

Blackrock for 25k and resold it for 500k and more.
Bronze hammers and horned runics 100k and sold them for 300k to 500k.

Just a matter of speculating.
As you can see Ive lost and gained.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From a personal point of view, my best purchase was a Blade of Insanity for a million several years ago which went on to net me a Jackal's Collar and Ornament of the Magician and lot of other PvM items over the years. While it hasn't really survived the times (I have swords I think are better these days), it was the first artifact I owned, and it got a lot of use.

One of my worst was probably some obsidian blades I bought for too much recently because of the 25,000 vs 2,500 typo.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
hmm. My worst buy has probably been the Large Tower I bought when I got sick of parking my red at a friend's house - co-owned and all. I only paid 2 mil, but I absolutely HATED the tower and never used it as my husband placed a house in Fel shortly after. Eventually I came across a keep for sale that I bought and let the tower fall.

My keep is probably my best buy (25 mil) ... when I first started playing my husband had a keep (got lucky in the Tram house rush) and later we gave it to a friend so he could have custom house (when AoS came out). I always regretted that loss, and love my keep now just as much as I loved his back then :)

C

Cybrdragon

A long, long time ago, when houses were worth a lot more in real life, I spent $600 real money for a large tower in a nice spot. I kick myself to this day for paying that much money for pixels. I would never do that again. That was back when I was crazy into UO, and couldn't get enough of it, and thought I had to have multiple accounts to play the game properly, along with tons of items and stuff. *laughs* Now it's "just a game" to me. My, how priorities do change. What's even funnier is that me and a friend back then considered putting in together to by a castle for $1000. I couldn't imagine even considering that now. Wow.

My best buy ingame was probably the large tower I have now. I can't remember how much it was, but it was a good buy. My worst buy ingame was putting in a mil on a (then new) 18x18 with a friend, right after customizable housing went into the game. I never actually got to use the house, and the owner never returned my gold. :(

The bestest ever deal I got ingame was when I waited all day long to place in Zento when it first opened. Crazy, and I'd never camp a spot like that nowadays, but a free 18x18 in one of the most desireable places in the game was a good deal! The best memory I have from UO, though, is of the person who GAVE me a small marble back when houses simply could not be placed anywhere. The person was quitting and happened to meet me on the road... gave me their house, and I thought I was the luckiest newbie alive! Now that spot is empty and has been for several years. Things sure do change...

W

Wilde1

my best "buy" (really a sale) was selling a fel lg tower back in the days of full housing for $750, then farming enough to buy another with gold within a 3-5 months, then sold it with an account for $500. Blew my mind that folks would pay real money for pixels.

best memory is placing a sm tower in tram on placement day, got kicked to fel but had a moonstone to get back and placed it over a small rock, hehe. I thought the gods had smiled down upon me! funny thing is, I came back to the game a month ago, and placed a lg tower where one had just fallen for 136k, yet I was WAY more excited to place that first sm tower way back when.

the worst buy was spending most my gold on a silver vanq fencing weapon only to have it break the first time I used it (this was back before the sm tower was placed). Boy that thing must have been used and used and used and used before I bought it hehe.

Fun thread, brings back memories.

A

Azazel of LA

Well Id have to say paying 634,500 gold for my 17x14 Luna Home (the current value of my new design) was the best buy Ive ever had. Saying I was offered 250mil for it thats one hell of a profit ...... to bad Im never selling it :). As far as bad buys , I really cant remember because for so many years I made sure I resarched stuff before I drop a buttload of gold on it. And when I find something I like , I try to aquire it myself , and if I cant I shop around till I find a price I like.

M

MYUO

my best "buy" (really a sale) was selling a fel lg tower back in the days of full housing for $750, then farming enough to buy another with gold within a 3-5 months, then sold it with an account for $500. Blew my mind that folks would pay real money for pixels.

best memory is placing a sm tower in tram on placement day, got kicked to fel but had a moonstone to get back and placed it over a small rock, hehe. I thought the gods had smiled down upon me! funny thing is, I came back to the game a month ago, and placed a lg tower where one had just fallen for 136k, yet I was WAY more excited to place that first sm tower way back when.

the worst buy was spending most my gold on a silver vanq fencing weapon only to have it break the first time I used it (this was back before the sm tower was placed). Boy that thing must have been used and used and used and used before I bought it hehe.

Fun thread, brings back memories.
That is a good sale indeed, since the price for castle at that time was less than $1000. I bought my tram castle + a bunch of bods 3-4 years ago for ~50mil. That is probably my best investment in UO.

In terms your silver vanq weapon, its hp was probably close to 0 when you bought it. At that time, there was no way to tell how many hp is left in a weapon. As far as it was repaired, the id wand always told you it was like new. Thanks to AOS, we don't get scammed by that anymore.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
best buy was 2 days ago when i finally found my 2 dark black rubble coco palms (stolen when my napa account was hacked last month) on an atlantic vendor for a mere 21 mill each. i would have paid twice that. they were my favorite uo possessions ever, and now i can worship them again! i literally yelled out loud (with joy) when i found them for sale (been obsessively searching for them on a daily basis on the unmentionable search engine). when i found them monday morning i snuck out of work to go buy them :) woot!!!

worst buy was spending $150 on an atlantic 18x18 which i later sold for a loss.

U

ultima online

my 231 true purple aos roses i have bought over the years XD

worst hmm i dunno sure ive bought some stupid things at some point but cant remember what they were :(

4gregu

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Worst buy - I bought my dad a large tower about 2 months before they announced the addition on Malas and more housing. (paid 36 mil for it, when gold was selling for $10+ a mil)

Best buy - early 1998, paid 3k for a true black dye tub. Made about a million times that selling dyed cloth.

Best sale - Not to long after the end of the original "clean up Britannia" I quit and sold my set (plus extras) of monster statues, they sold for between $55-$150 per. All in all I ended up with a little over $1800. Now they are almost worthless....

M

MYUO

It is interesting to note that one person's best sale is likely another one's worst buy.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Best: rune blades with 45 mana, 44 stamina, 42 hit lower defense, 30 swing speed for 15 mil

Worst: Um. I guess a copper robe for 150k or so. My physical resist was 70 before I bought it. :/

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Worst: Um. I guess a copper robe for 150k or so. My physical resist was 70 before I bought it. :/
If that's your worst purchase, consider yourself lucky. I'm betting you could resell that the same price pretty easily.

L

Lariat

My best would have to either be a castle I bought for 200m (which I already had a trade set up for 400m worth of rares) of the Haunted Chest I bought for 100m and resold for 200. More profit in the first, but there was a lot more time involved in that one.

Worst... Hmm. I try not to make any deals that would qualify here, but it was likely paying millions for a new event item only to have them become way too common, and worth 100k.

L

love2winalot

Hail: Best buy was years ago when i bought a house placement tool to keep on my main at all times. One day a guy was quitting UO, and dropped his castle on ice isle. I was panicing clicking so fast to place my castle there, and after about 20 tries i got, just before another guy came along. He had been there earlier, but had to go buy the tool, and come back, hehe.

Worst buy was the first boat i ever bought about 10 years ago, and kept getting stuff stolen off it all the time, and did not know how it was being done. I could not afford a house, so i stored stuff on the deck. I hated that boat............Until i figured how it was done, and then i became a pirate......:)

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best buy, well one of many was the "ornate encrusted arm guards" bought for 5M from a dude on another shard, was missing the mana gen 2 ... had a GM fix it ... (two shards version lacked the mana gen 2) ... once the GM fixed them they instantly went UP UP UP in price, and I sold them to Manticore for a cheap price of 40M (was alot then but was offered more at the time from others, but at the same time wanted to keep a piece of history in UO, visable.) So it went to him for his collection, to be displayed in public view for years. Made a quick and ez profit of 35M even though now those would sell for quite a bit more, at the time UO gold was worth alot more then now :D .. and I had no use for it on my current suit, resists are to low, even though they were neat looking I dont keep stuff for that reason... it's gotta be useful. :D

Worst buy? Hmmmmm ... I really only get burned when it comes to trusting someone... I remember one time trusting someone would come back with a large order of ingots... trusted him, and got burned, another time same thing but with powder of fort, got burned... I only buy off vendors now ... or if the person can or course put it up in the trade window... LOL. The old days of trusting people are of course over for now. :D... but somtimes I put my money out there just to see if there is any trust anymore.. and most of the time I get burned... :D ...

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best buy: A small herd of pack horses for a secluded IDOC small tower in trinsic fel in 2000/2001 sometime had 400+ castle deeds in it.

Worst: Orny of the magi for 40m

Best sell: 400+ castle deeds to a npc from a IDOC that was ALLLLLLL MINE!

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best buy: A small herd of pack horses for a secluded IDOC small tower in trinsic fel in 2000/2001 sometime had 400+ castle deeds in it.
By any chance was this on Legends (at the time known as AOL Legends)?

shanshu

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My best buy was a black vet cloak for 2gold off a vendor in Luna.

My worst buy was a snake/reptile slayer bow during the Ophidian invasion. I thought it would do double damage, but alas it only damaged my bank account.

U

ultima online

My worst buy was a snake/reptile slayer bow during the Ophidian invasion. I thought it would do double damage, but alas it only damaged my bank account.
oh you just reminded me one of my best buys was a deamon/ele slayer bow that i found on a vendor for 35k jumbled in with a load of other old juka bows and then resold it a couple of days later for 10mill, a few days before they gave the DF necro XD

Mish o sha

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:)Buyin the Game, and the years of FUN i Have had, playing with players from around the world:thumbup:
The worst buy :blushing:,is paying for pixels with real money

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
best buy: a bunch of Tok minis being sold for 5K apiece just before the original event ended.

worst buy: Royal guard sash at an auction for ... well ... too much. I was immediately bombarded with a chorus of "you realize that's probably duped, right?" Then, for good measure, I innocently dyed it my favourite colour when I got back to my house.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Worst buy, 120m for a bamboo stool that the seller gave me the wrong name for in the sale thread, and I was in such a huge rush to buy it because I had to go make dinner that I didn't check. So that was about 115m +2 xfer tokens down the drain. Best buy was knitting for 150m that nowadays goes for 300 or so. Very nice seller I made friends with and joined their guild on europa for a few months. ;)

K

KidJoe

i bought a green soul stone with 120 swords on it once for 3mil i thought it was a sweet deal hahaha foolish me

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best Buys:

1. spent 168k to place a house inside luna after a player got banned and his house was dropped by EA

2. paid 20 mil for a keep which i demolished and replaced a castle

3. bought many captured essences for 300k each and other high end ingredients and mondain legacy items on asian shards very cheap and resold them all for about 5x what i paid making 300 mil+

4. bought 8 true rare dirty pots and regular pots and pans for 126 mil, sold 2 for 90 mil total so basically paid 36 mil for 6 of them

5. paid 64 mil for a suit of phoenix armor, unfortunately it was taken after being hacked

6. bought a hunters headdress for 24 gp off a vendor and resold it for 12 mil

7. bought a barbed kit for 3 mil off a vendor then realized the next 2 were mispriced and got each of them for around 10 gp each

Worst Buys:

1. scammed out of 20 mil for a guy going to send me a few transfer token codes over icq

2. paid 20 mil for a large tower which i resold years later for about 3 mil

3. paid 3 mil for a plate of honor gorget at an auction in uo because the guy bidding against me wouldnt stop and i hate losing...

probably a bunch more just cant think of any

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Best buy: My first soul seeker for 150k. I spent literally every gold coin that I had for that baby and she has since earned me millions.

Worst buy: A bunch of us pooled together gold for a large tower for our guild and spent weeks and hundreds of hours looking for a place for it. Then the person we trusted it to sold it. For dollars. That was a real kick in a sensitive spot and a lesson learned.

edit:
Best buy honorable mention:
A mispriced advanced character token for 800k. I wouldn't have a tamer without it.