• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What addons do you use?

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Howdy Folks,
So, I've been gone for many yrs and returned this week. I remember I was using a few different addons back in the day, and was wondering what might be new, or old and still useful.

So, what addons do folks use out there today? I saw that UOAssist is still available (I'm having problems getting it to load, doesnt want to recognize UO's .exe, lol, wonderful). What are folks using as there mapping program? I remember a program that used to assist with T-Hunting by marking locations, and a few programs that assisted with crafting items. Don't remember their names and nothing in a google search rings a bell.

Hoping ya'll might have some suggestions and reviews of what can and can't be used, and what does and does not work.

Thanks folks,
Mac

Plant Elemental

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I had the same problem with UO Assist. Try this to fix it:

Load UO as normal without UO Assist. Let UO fully patch and start playing as normal. Close out the game and start with UO Assist. It should work.

If it doesn't, start up UO Assist and click on the Settings button in the bottom right corner. Make sure that the path to the UO client is correct.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There's a modernized version of UOAM (the map program you remember) that is available from sources other than the creator, as the creator has abandoned it, and the changes to make it compatible with the last 2 expansions were created technically in violation of the agreement that made UOAM legal.

There's also UO Cartographer, which was created to replace UOAM legally, but has since become orphanware itself. UOC requires UOAssist to work with the 2D/Classic client, but even an expired trial UOA will allow UOC to work.

There's also a number of things that required UOAssist before, that can now be done in-client - for example, the Salvage bag item from provisioners replaces the recycle bag of UOA and is much quicker, and the crafting skills can now make set numbers or "make max" (make until you hit item cap, weight cap or run out materials or the tool uses).

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks folks......another question....I DL'ed the enhanced client, is there a way to switch over to the classic client, without having to re-DL the client?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
no, they are completely separate downloads.

However...

The enhanced client was designed to be modded, and there are several excellent user interfaces you can get that dramatically improve the EC (and make it superior in many aspects to the CC, especially with a modern computer). The user interfaces also allow UO Cartographer to work with the EC.

You might want to go to the forum for the enhanced client, get one of the user interfaces, and try it out, before going back to the CC.

Note that I personally use the Classic Client 99% of the time, yet for someone coming back after many years, and used to more modern games, the EC might be an easier thing to adapt to. Each client (especially after a UI is applied to the EC) does some things better than the other.

Mac

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very cool, thanks for the input, I'll go have a look see.

G

grig_since98

Unlike many "old school" pre-AoS players, I'm completely sold on the EC. Alone, the EC is frankly not exceptional, but with good mods, it is amazing. My suggestion would be to download the EC then *immediately* install the Pinco UI. The latest version of Pinco has an updating utility and integrates a map program ( UO cartographer I believe). Best of all, its free.

N

Numtinae

EC with Pinco's is fantastic and does everything I ever needed UOAssist for both crafting and adventuring. The biggest thing I cared about in UOAM was where my body was and the EC tracks that.