• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What about the MidWest.... What about US?

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back when there was tragedy in Japan there was an outpouring of support from the Stratics community, but I have yet to see anything about those effected by the natural disasters in the heart of America! I know its not the same scale as the tragedy that happened overseas, but still!
Parts of the Mid-West have been torn apart by tornadoes in the past week. Joplin Missouri has been ravaged and 1/3rd of the community is gone. The folks there could use some positive thoughts and prayers!
How about a bit of good will for our own? EA was fast to put together some funds for people there how bout we get some help for our own?
I know times are tough all over but every bit helps! There are scores of volunteers working to rescue and unfortunately recover the 1500 or so that are still missing just in Joplin.

American Red Cross

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cal_Mythic says: since "players have 45 days before their houses are in danger of being lost" - "there should be no concern that they will lose their houses."

And that's to folks in Japan whose death toll surpassed 12,ooo as of early April, and who continue to endure strict power rationing & who are drinking irradiated water while their decimated nuclear power plant continues to leak lethal ooze into the sea.

Between you & me, I just wouldn't get my hopes up for anything from Mythic. 45 days is clearly considered plenty. Fact is, they already have your money, and it's entirely up to you whether you utilise their servers.

If it's any consolation, my own thoughts and good wishes are with all those affected in and around Joplin, Missouri.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
charity is great, I feel bad for both, but comparing tragedies will always be a losing argument. if you wanted to talk about the midwest you should have just talked about the midwest.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oklahoma got thrashed pretty hard last night. :( Joplin, MO is in my thought and prays. Especially since its like two hours away from me. We had 68 counties effected by severe weather, tornadoes etc. Gov. Mary Fallin has declared a state of emergency.

I just read singers Reba McEntire and Blake Shelton are holding benefit concerts to raise money to help tornando victims in the Atoka area of Oklahoma that got hit April 14th. That one was a EF3 tornado.

If EA don't wanna help us in Oklahoma its fine with us. We got great folks that's from Oklahoma that pitch in and help.

Ever heard of Toby Keith? He's from Moore, OK. Several years ago Moore was nearly sucked off the map by an EF5 tornado. (EF5 is the worst tornado possible its like GOD dragging his finger across a map. *shudders*) Anyway Toby Keith held a bunch of benefit concerts and raise enough money to rebuild Moore High school and help people get on their feet.

Ever heard of Garth Brooks? He hails from Oklahoma too, and he's done benefit concerts to help people in Oklahoma and Tennessee when it got flooded.

If EA don't wanna help us folks in Oklahoma, that's alright. Ain't hurtin our feelins' any. We'll take care our own and anybody else who needs help.

BTW, I just read our neighbors in Arkansas, Kansas and Texas got thrashed too...Dang! I hate tornado and t-storms season!!!!

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thoughts were not about just Joplin... It was about EVERYONE that has been effected by the recient tornadoes ALL OVER. The southeastern US has had some nasty weather and southern part of the country has been hit with massive flooding down the Mississippi river basin. My concern was that there has been nothing said here to put the word out about any of it.

To the poster that made the Garth and Toby comments...
Garth found out ppl were scalping tickets in KC and put on 9 sold out shows here at 50 bucks a pop just so ppl could see him preform without getting gouged. Toby has put on a ton of free concerts for our fighting soldiers home and abroad. Both deserve credit for giving back in their own way.

Toby and Garth are great artist and yes they do great things for others but that is not the point.

My intention, with my orig post was to bring light to issues here at home..... I feel we should take care of our own as well as everyone else! Do I honestly expect EA to do something for the player base here? No I do not... But is it too much to take 5 min out of one of the higher ups day to release a statement to let everyone that has been effected know that they are thinking about them? I think not! It is the player base and end users of their games that pays their salaries. Without us they would not be here.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My thoughts were not about just Joplin... It was about EVERYONE that has been effected by the recient tornadoes ALL OVER. The southeastern US has had some nasty weather and southern part of the country has been hit with massive flooding down the Mississippi river basin. My concern was that there has been nothing said here to put the word out about any of it.

To the poster that made the Garth and Toby comments...
Garth found out ppl were scalping tickets in KC and put on 9 sold out shows here at 50 bucks a pop just so ppl could see him preform without getting gouged. Toby has put on a ton of free concerts for our fighting soldiers home and abroad. Both deserve credit for giving back in their own way.

Toby and Garth are great artist and yes they do great things for others but that is not the point.

My intention, with my orig post was to bring light to issues here at home..... I feel we should take care of our own as well as everyone else! Do I honestly expect EA to do something for the player base here? No I do not... But is it too much to take 5 min out of one of the higher ups day to release a statement to let everyone that has been effected know that they are thinking about them? I think not! It is the player base and end users of their games that pays their salaries. Without us they would not be here.
That was me. I hear ya. I honestly feel sometimes that the higher ups at EA kinda veiw their customers like they have the plague. Also I think EA is more concerned with having a "global" image then what folks here at home in the USA think about them. But hey what do I know I'm just some dumb Okie :D ...hehehehe

Tom_Builder

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is always that way. When something bad happens over seas we always help. The US sends more Aid over seas then any other nation. Most of that comes from donations from the people of the US. When disasters happen here we will get no help from others. But that is ok. We give freely from our hearts, we need nothing in return. We are strong people in a strong country. We are Americans.

Jirel of Joiry

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is always that way. When something bad happens over seas we always help. The US sends more Aid over seas then any other nation. Most of that comes from donations from the people of the US. When disasters happen here we will get no help from others. But that is ok. We give freely from our hearts, we need nothing in return. We are strong people in a strong country. We are Americans.
AMEN, Brother!!!!

W

Woodsman

When disasters happen here we will get no help from others.
We got international assistance with Hurricane Katrina, which killed nearly 2,000 people.

Tornadoes are bad, as is the Mississippi flooding, but those are things that happen pretty much every year, and thanks to the shelters and tools we've developed over the past 50 years, there are a lot fewer fatalities. Prior to Joplin, you have to go back to the 1950s to find tornadoes killing more than 100+ people. People have the perception that there are more tornadoes now, but that's only because prior to the kinds of radar systems we have these days, tornadoes were drastically under counted in years past. As an example, there was a tornado in 1925 that is listed as killing nearly 700 people, however meteorologists now think it was several tornadoes.

It's not helped by the fact that in years past, you didn't hear about tornadoes unless it went out over the radio. Now we have idiots streaming living shots of tornadoes to the Weather Channel and their local TV stations. We have the National Weather Service giving quite a bit more notice about potential tornadoes as well. That changes peoples perceptions of things. Back in our grandparents time, the warning you got about a tornado was when you saw it.

Murdok

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing that chaps my rear is everyone and their brother expects/demands a handout from us here in the good ole USofA. They are not willing to help their own, or refuse to help out because they know we will step up to the plate and do what is necessary to get the job done. Until we start taking care of our own first we will continue to be the worlds go to country!

Back in our grandparents time, the warning you got about a tornado was when you saw it.
In the past 10-20 years our advancements have greatly improved.... Joplin got a 20 min notice, which is almost triple what they would have gotten years ago. We got a 20-25 min warning this morning for the ones that hit our area.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The thing that chaps my rear is everyone and their brother expects/demands a handout from us here in the good ole USofA. They are not willing to help their own, or refuse to help out because they know we will step up to the plate and do what is necessary to get the job done. Until we start taking care of our own first we will continue to be the worlds go to country!
You know what chaps my rear? Ugly Americans. Who turn every tragedy into an excuse for waving the flag, especially when you look up the actual facts and discover that the United States only gives the most to charity when you limit the definition of charity to "Government sponsored economic development".

And even then, only double what France alone gives in total dollars. The European Union as a whole gives far, far more. Outright.

But if you look at what percentage of their wealth the US gives, it's actually one of the worst in the entire industrial world. Sweden gives 5 times as much compared to their economy.

And when it comes to individual generosity, that is the average donation of each person outright... American citizens are not even in the top 10. (Nor shamefully is my own country, unless it's to animal charities which are always oversubscribed here, but that's another thread).

List of most charitable countries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So there's a reason EA wants a "global image", and that's because like in this thread, where genuine suffering has occurred, Ugly Americans come stamping in and makes the rest of the world think "You know what, they want pity and patriotism... they want patting on the back for how great they are, and to be told how much more important their suffering is... not charity. And parts of the old world are still smouldering from that attitude. No thanks. And we're not going to give them either now. Especially when they deny the science that says why they are getting increasingly intense tornados, and insult us for being concerned about that. Or for that matter start screaming about Black Helicopters and the U.N. if anyone did try and help out directly in their nation"

And if you think I'm being harsh... just look how many posts this thread took to go from "Suffering people need charity" to "Damn you all for not being as great as Americans."

So... again... keep your politics out of UHall if you actually, genuinely want to do some real good.

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
This thread is about Joplin, Missouri, and other mid-western U.S. cities affected by natural disaster. The OP feels that EA should help folks in these areas.

Please keep thread discussions on topic. If you'd like to discuss other topics, please begin a new thread.

F

Fayled Dhreams

*ahem*
Excuse me ... but the chafe must be what is rather "distracting" ...

I can't remember a specific instance (perhaps you could provide one)
Where >we(USA) were asked< to supply help BEFORE (as usual) WE OFFERED ...

just a fine detail point ...
mainly because ... here you are asking ... see?
EA's "fault", or where/what ever it is you might see some "blame" to point to or lay ...

just saying ... pretty likely that >they ARE willing< to help their own
they just appear to lack the resources.
If (as unlikely as maybe) they truly ARE UNwilling to help their own.
well ...
just saying I ain't gonna >help them< ... see?

Now to you, what have you "done"?
I mean ... Joplin seems to have the situation pretty well covered
as do the others in tornado alley (born and raised there)
Money and resources are pouring in, a competent set of structures were up and running
(comm, gov, disaster relief, shelters)
IF it had been worse ... even more would be there
but never enough to remove the loss and pain

never is

Final point ...
We HAVE been taking care of our own ...
>that is why we have the resources to offer to others<

S

Shari

I'm not sure that everyone DOES expect or demand handouts... certain organizations are going to collect and help every disaster they can. I don't think that the recent disasters here have received any less aid in proportion to disasters overseas... think of how much easier it is for a city in the middle of the country to receive help from surrounding areas that were not so badly damaged when say, in Japan much larger areas were effected... when it comes down to it, donate your money to who you wish there are always people out there willing to help those in need, you don't have to give to those you don't want to.

S

sqdlin

i hate us,because who pull people into pain or darkness is the evil and ulgy country.:gun: