• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

We will miss you Aeric Horn.

G

<blockquote><hr>

My tears are selfish ones that I knew him only thrugh his stratics posts and can't even recall a time with him in game. I send my thoughts and prayers to his berieved.
I also call out to the gods of OSI for an oppurtunity to place a memorial to him on siege.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be a wonderful gesture.

K

Kat SP

<blockquote><hr>

I also call out to the gods of OSI for an oppurtunity to place a memorial to him on siege.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he would be extremely honored. I know of the perfect spot if we could make this happen!

G

This is by far the most devistating news of my life. I concidered Aeric my brother, my mentor and one of my best friends. He had always been there for me like no other. Life will not be the same without him.

Wherever you are Brother, I pray you happyness. I mourn now but the joy and friendship you showed me in life will always be cherished.. I am a better person for having known you. I love you Cliff!

G

I am terribly shocked and saddened to hear that he is gone.

True friends are rare in this world, but, even having not ever met him face to face, I count him as one.

After arriving on Siege, and doing my initial stint in NEW, I met Ginsu, Skylark, and Castor near Minoc.
Ginsu's keen crafter's eyes immediately spotted the tattered bandana that I wore, about to break. I still have the replacement that he made for me.
From there, and due to his creation, Amity, I got to know some of the best friends I've known on Siege.

He had his detractors - he had his faults. But I choose to remember the good he did, his accomplishments, and the fire that burned in his heart - a passionate inferno, determined to do good. He was an inspiration, in many ways.

You will be missed, my friend. Rest now, and know that you will not be forgotten.

D

DebiHIS

<font color="darkgreen">i think a memorial would be an awesome idea.

I too never ran into him in game, but enjoyed many a post on here.
I pray that peace surrounds his family in this time of sorrow.

I stand corrected, while training at NEW one night, he came up on the roof and was talking to us newbies about our templates. He helped me pick out a decent defensive one for my crafter and tamer! JF has also been to storynight a time or two, maybe i also saw him there?

nashville.....we lived 2 hrs. apart, sees his Titans jersey in pic.
. </font>

C

CorwinWE

His own words are more eloquent than my own, lets remember him...

<blockquote><hr>

So if a man has strong belief that he is carrying out the will of his god when he
is committing what another person would call an atrocity... is he "evil"? Is he
"good"? Is he just misguided?

I still believe that anyone who takes pleasure in another person's misery or
misfortune is evil. In war you will have soldiers on both sides committing the
same horrific acts on each other... but it is the way each of those soldiers feels
about what he has done that determines whether he/she is "good" or "evil".
Enjoying the killing would be "evil". Regrettably taking life to defend yourself,
your comrades, your country, your family, your beliefs... is not "evil". It is
unfortunate that war is ever deemed neccessary. But that is our world. One of
"good" and "evil". We often perceive evil to be whatever opposes our own beliefs...
but that is not neccessarily true. Two good hearted people can completely oppose
each other and commit terrible violence on each other in defense of their beliefs.
What makes them "good" is that they will regret having to take that action rather
than drawing any pleasure from it.

my 3 cents

Cheers!

Aeric

[/ QUOTE ]

This world is short one more "good" man.

S

ShadowlordSage

mayhaps the best way would be for all of us to send a GM request up.

-Shadowlord Sage-
AO\MYTH

G

I only knew him by reputation and threads here on Stratics, but I am saddened by his loss. His family will be in my prayers tonight.

D

Dor of Sonoma

Having just learned of this, I am still in shock and tears.

I could not have asked for a stouter defender, nor a more impassioned friend. He was often my mainstay when times were darkest, and his honorable, fiery truth would light the shadows and bid them gone.

I am at a loss. We are all lessened by his absence from our midst, and yet eternally enriched by having known him. He shared his heart. He shared his soul, though it was ever kept inviolate.

N

Noc

You won't ever be forgotten Aeric/Ginsu!!!!!

Thanks for the time I was able to share with you. YOU F"N ROCK!

G

Has this hit Uhall yet? Is there a simple way to make a player memorial?
5-50 minutes of a devs time is worth $ to me to place a memorial to a player.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Has this hit Uhall yet? Is there a simple way to make a player memorial?
5-50 minutes of a devs time is worth $ to me to place a memorial to a player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

G

I would love to see a memorial.

However, I must point out that we have been down this road before.
The response from the devs and GMs was, simply, 'no'.

The reasons they gave were, if memory serves, these:
1. How do we know someone is really dead?
2. The time involved in checking that someone is really dead takes away from development time (their words weren't quite so harsh, but that's the gist of it)
3. How do we decide who 'deserves' to have a memorial and who does not?
4. You will never get the player base to agree on what a 'fitting' memorial is.

There were other reasons - I don't remember them all.

However, it boils down to this: If we want a memorial, then we have to do it ourselves. Iantown did a fine job - and so have others, both here, and on other shards, in the past.

If this was an ideal world, what I would like to see is simply a statue somewhere in the land, labeled 'to our fallen friends', with a regularly self-clearing notice board there, for people to leave their condolences. Possibly with a cheap flower-selling NPC nearby. It seems strange that we have so many graveyards in our lands, but cannot leave the names of those who have passed on inscribed on the headstones.

But, aye, this, I fear, is a case of 'do it ourselves'. Which is not a bad thing. I feel that those who knew him can do a far better job of honoring his memory than the devs or GMs, even if we can't make free permanent fixtures in the land.

*weeps*

G

Dev's please respond in our time of need. We have had EM hosted weddings now we WANT a wake or memorial. People have ponied up with RL cash because we care, so step up to the plate and do something special.
Hmmm! We could just place there statues in SP museums.
EDIT!!
A very good point Otto. I will Happily donate lockdown space for a memorial. As well as offer the account (holding the memorial) for free if I ever chose to stop paying for it.
EDIT X2 I wil also happily donate gold to the creation of a any memorial of any deceased siege player.

G

I am having a very difficult time tonite very difficult still in shock.
There are times I stupidly try to make sense of tragic loss and of course I never can.

He was a dear friend and I will sorely miss him, I can not even find reason to log into UO atm I am just too shocked stunned flatlined. I am and will continue to miss him greatly. He was my GM in MYTH guild, he was a friend in game, always encouraging me/my characters to try to excel as best as they could. He was one of the very first of many persons I had met on Siege back then, all at once, at a festival for KiN, &amp; what a day that was too. I had gotten to meet him, Py, WYRM and the vmp and Skylark and Castor all at about the same time, and had gotten to meet many others here on Siege as well all at once like that thru out that day weekend, and ended up sticking around and remaining upon Siege Perilous.

To his 3 children, my deepest sympathies. Having lost my own dad on Father's Day few years ago now, well just know ye never really get over it, it only hurts or saddens a tiny bit less with time, but somehow their memories and our times with them, never really fade. And maybe that is a good thing even if it makes us cry year after year as we always will miss them yet will remember those precious moments of good times over the years we did have with someone being in our lives.

Take care of your selves, permit all the time in the world to privately grieve, and take care of each other, then never try to make sense out of a life that leaves us sometimes too fast or too soon cuz...it never makes sense .. ever.

G

There is perhaps something we CAN do. If we can get the vet reward statues to some way be *named his chrs. names* even though someone else may be claiming these ...they would have to actually BE a chr. with same name/outfits he wore, or the statues would not work and said character would also have to be of proper VET age...but we may be able to DO that and put them up in Stonehaven somewhere like on a small plot made like a memorial garden. *or something*

K

Kat SP

Aeric's RL son logged into game briefly, this evening. He said that he would log back in once he was able to get into his father's place tomorrow, so it might be possible that he knows the password to Aeric's accounts and could possibly let us make a statue or two of his main characters.

How do those statue maker things work?

Can it work with an account that might not be old enough?

I would happily donate one, but my oldest acct will not be 8 years until the end of December. I will gladly purchase one, though, if its possible to use it on a younger account. Unfortunately, I have no idea how old any of his accounts are.

As a side note, we are planning a public candle light vigil in honor of Aeric. The time and date will be forthcoming.

D

Dor of Sonoma

I have a character on Siege on an account that is almost 10 years old - with several vet rewards still unclaimed.

I would be honored to select and use a statue-maker on this occasion, if someone could walk me through it.

I have no idea of how they actually work, but I would really like to contribute something if at all possible.

K

Kat SP

Wow! Thanks, Dor! That is a very kind and generous offer. I'll see If I can catch him on at some point tomorrow and see if this might be a possibility. In fact, I may be able to leave a message for him and let him know what we're up to.

Saphireena

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never had the honor of knowing this man, but I read through all the posts and tears just welled up in my eyes. I've always been extremely moved by these kinds of things. I don't know if any of you have seen player memorial machinima videos, but some are truly beautiful, such as Teletha and Aladora - both players of DaoC. I just cry every time I see these. If SP has a memorial for Aeric, perhaps consider making his memory eternal with such a video.

Oh so many times in the past 8 years did I mean to try out Siege, only to give up on the characters I made. It wasn't till this summer that I truly started to live the Siege life. Regretful for having missed the chance to meet and know Aeric like so many of you do. My condolences for all who mourn his departure.

Hopefully I can offer some helpful information on player memorials. I've been following the recent news on the death of a great man on another shard called Grog. EA wouldn't make a statue, but what they did do is code his name into random NPC spawns. You can read all about it here:

http://boards.stratics.com/php-bin/uo/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Number=7304850&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;sb=5&amp;o=&amp;fpart=1&amp;vc=1&amp;what2=showflat&amp;selv=&amp;vwhich=

G

I don't know how, I don't remember, but a friend made a statue of my main Eu char a while ago. My account is 7 years old.

On another note, it's worth noting that the recently lost 'Grog' is remembered through one of the permanent training quest npc's being re-named. He is forever in game now. There are training npcs on Ocllo.

I

imported_Castor

wow, just wow...

siege lost a giant of a man and my heart goes out to his rl family and his uo family here.

G

Perhaps it is the shock, perhaps there are no words that will be adequate.
But, I fear I am a poor reporter, and a poorer friend.

I sit here, scratching my head, and crying a lot, trying to come up with a suitable tribute to Ginsu - and nothing seems fitting. My best words seem trite, and fit for the waste basket.

I thought of interviewing all those he had touched - but then thought that this thread is already serving that purpose. Not to mention that the article would be many, many pages long, given how many of us he affected.

I thought of listing his achievements, but fear that I will leave something out - or, worse yet, attract the attention of those who did not look on his efforts to bring something to Siege positively, and have it descend into a flame war.

I would like to put something on the front page of the news to honor him - but I am at a complete and utter loss as to what that 'something' should be.

If you feel that this thread is sufficient, then I would more than agree. I can probably link a simple news piece to this very thread.
But, I am at a loss, and very, very sad.

*weeps*

A

Alex the Gray

I never met him or played with him, but I recall his posts as from someone I would stop and read. Death comes to us all. He'll be on the other side waiting for us. I hope and pray for the very best for family he left behind.

R

raflmoe

I did not know him, or even who he was before reading this thread.

Condolences to his family and friends nevertheless.

- rafael

A

absimiliard

Aeric was a friend of mine.

When first I started playing my savage Lindi Aeric and I sparred a few times and despite always being on opposite sides of a fight he was always kind, courteous, and fun to roleplay with.

As a gamer I have no higher compliment I can offer.

I will miss him.

My sympathies go out to all the rest of us who have also lost a friend and a noble enemy.

-abs

S

Sloan

I already said this in a pm but i'll post it here anyways. I would love to see a memorial for Aeric. A few years back several people rallied together to try to get a memorial set up for Folger when he passed away. We were not able to sway the developers on the idea.

Since then I^A has set up their own player made memorial. The same can be done for Aeric and I would gladly donate what ever I can to help see this happen.

Rest in Peace my friend.

I

imported_Willow30

First of all, we would like to express our deepest sympathy to Aeric’s family. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Aeric was a wonderful GM who always put his guild mates first. Aeric was one of the first people that Tom and I met here on Siege. His generosity and honesty were tremendous and he will always be remembered for that. Over the past several months, Aeric became a very good friend to us not only in game, but in real life. We will miss him greatly.

Tom and Devin

G

For those that asked, I cross posted a link to this thread last night shortly after I posted here. I knew Aeric from the time he was in KSS, when he had Amity, and his next venture, of course when MYTH was part of WC for a brief period.

I posted over there because, in all honesty I didn't know what shard he came from and if anyone would remember him from his preSiege days.

M

Maleeka

This is quite a shock this morning. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, both in real life and UO.

I

imported_Leaf

I have just read about this at work...I'm at a loss. I only knew Aeric in game, and he was a good friend and ally. I am deeply saddened for his RL family and guild mates. My prayers are with you all. This is a huge loss for everyone. Seige has lost an incredible warrior, crafter, friend and gentlemen. There will be a great emptiness in this game without you Aeric. You will be missed...

G

omg no....
when did this happen???

Cliff Allen was a good friend of mine &amp; I loved him dearly since the first time I played on Siege. I spoke to him almost daily and he held such a special place in my heart.

I love him and will miss him so much.

G

If anyone wishes to express thoughts on the Mythic Treasures Vendor shoppe bulletin board please feel free to do so. A few already have done so, past the many usual shop talk bb.postings. His son may see those msgs. too and it would be nice for his son to see our thoughts on something in the game like the shop bulletin board, that belongs to one of Aeric's game homes. Not sure if his son has access to the accts. but anyone can access the BBoard on the front porch.

We do hope and plan to have a form of ingame memorial but we do not have the details as of yet. I think we are so stunned, that atm it is still very difficult to think clearly yet.

I

imported_Varka

<blockquote><hr>

It is with deep regret and some tears that I must inform you that we have lost Ginsu. Mourn with me now, Siege. He died of a heart attack apparently. I am affectted deeply by this loss. I will post more details when they come to me.

For now I will cry, and i will remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anything we can do to help?

What are his family's needs?

S

Subishi.

Siege has lost a good man; my prayers go out to his family and friends.

S

Sid-Black

*Lowers his head in prayer for this mans family* Farewell my neighbor you will be missed.

M

marichessy

I just got a call from Severina telling me about Aeric. I am at a loss for words as this seems so impossible that it could be true. I am completely in shock.

Aeric was such an enormous part of Siege that I can't imagine him not there thinking up new ideas and conquering the evils of Sosaria. He was the reason I came over to Siege and his incredible imagination and colorful personality had me hooked from the time I met him.

More important than his accomplishments on Siege, he was a good friend and a man with a compassionate heart. For his friends he would give anything.

I cannot say how sorry I am for his family, his children and his friends. My thoughts and prayers are with them all. May Aeric rest in peace in a better place.

M

mith_LS

Yar!

While I can't say I knew him well, I can say I knew him.

If'n we're passing a hat around for his family, let me know. I'd be happy to help out.

G

I have lost my confidant...my friend...I will ALWAYS remember how you stood with me during the hard times and the good...till we meet again,..till we meet again...

I

imported_sbom

This is terrible. When Kat (TnT leader - alliance with MYTH) told us yesterday that we were to have a very important alliance meeting last night, and I didn't see any message from Aeric/Ginsu, our beloved and respected guild master to tell us about it, I knew something was wrong. He always lets us know when something like this is taking place.

When I Icqed Kat and asked her about the tone of the meeting (
or
) and she gave me the second answer, I knew...

That is the type of person Aeric was. So dedicated to his online world and guild that he would let all of us know even when he was taking a single day off from uo, because he was doing something irl that was taking him away from his computer, from his game, from his guild!! This time, I had sent a couple of messages, which were not replied, that was not like him...

The meeting was at 2:30am my time (Europe time) and I decided I would not attend, also because I now knew what it was about and don't think I could have handled the emotion (ventrilo...) upon the announcement.

This is uo: a world where we meet people everyday, only through a set of pixels...well, that is until you start spending time with them, interacting with
them, chatting with them, building friendships with them...and that is where the pixels go away and are replaced by real feelings: love, hate, fun, anger...
You then realize that you have known people in uo for up to 10 years, and never got to meet them irl...does it mean you don't really know them? ...I don't think so.

Aeric was one of a kind. The kind you meet and get to trust within the first 10-15 minutes of talking with him.
When I arrived on Siege earlier this year (after 8+ years playing on Atlantic only), he's one of the two persons I talked to and who were able to convince me that they had something going that I wanted to be part of...and shortly after, the other one happened to move to MYTH as well..that was a sign...

Within the past few weeks, I have seen how dedicated and caring Aeric was of "his people" and what he was going through trying to make it all work, and he even motivated me to do something to help...the strength about it...he didn't ask me to do it. I realized through talking with him that it was something he needed me to do and I didn't have to wait until he asked me...well, I did put together a program that will automatically store information about all our BODs and tell us automatically when one of our LBBODs is ready to be filled because we now have all corresponding SBODs...I know that is an anecdot, but it meant a lot to me. My last communication with him on Monday was to tell him I was going to take care of that for him and the guild...my next was an attempt to show him the results that I had worked on and had ready for him the next day (showing my dedication back)...I will never know what his answer would have been, even though I know he's playing with that program up there right now, and wishes he had a way to tell me how crappy it is.

All of that being said, my deapest sympathy goes to his rl family.

G

<blockquote><hr>

If anybody in the know finds out if there is a collection for his kids or family, please post either a link here as id like to help out.

45 is just too damn young....

[/ QUOTE ]

Castor,

You and the others who have mentioned Cliff’s children are right on the mark. We know we can do this and it is more important anyway. I intend to send cash in lieu of flowers. Kat has all the contact information.

I

imported_Luka Melehan

I have been thinking along the lines of putting together a webpage and collecting written thoughts and experiences from you all and posting them. Now after reading this thread, if there is a memorial garden set up, we can write these rememberances in books in game and place them there. My next few days are going to be hell, but I will leave a drop box on the steps of the Voodoo Lounge, just outside the east Umbra bridge.

G

Thanks Otto.

When Goodman died a couple years ago on Atlantic, there was a campaign for a permanent in-game memorial that lasted many months and got nowhere because the GM's basically said "While we sympathise and agree, if we did it for Goodman, we'd have to do it for everybody."

The end result was that a lot of people got together and bought a very big plot right next to Zento moongate and put Goodman's Rune Library there.

Would something similar be an appropriate response on siege?

G

Only a man of tremendous character could evoke such emotion from people who never saw his face.

*bows*

I

imported_Castor

From Mac (KSS)

"When I started in KSS Ginsu was my mentor. He was a good person and brought a lot to the world of Siege. 45 is way to young to go. I know he will be missed and I'm sure he will not be forgotten.

Let me know if there is going to be a gold donation and I'll get on to give what I can."

C

Cleopatra

This is very sad news.

Aeric and Shalimar used to clash because of their differing opinions and in the end agreed to disagree. Lately they had been on friendly terms and became aquaintences, for selfish reasons I am happy for that.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends, I am so very sorry for your loss.

G

I looked up an icq session that he and I had right before my son's wedding when we were talking about all our kids. In that icq session of lots of kids talk rl kids we each had he mentioned his 3 were ages 26, 21 and 16, first 2 were his boys, then his baby girl.

We had talked a very long time bout..kids and kids growing up to become married in weddings and newlieweds as they all grow up. He kept mentioning to me to msg him when I got back to tell him all about how my own son's wedding went, and he mentioned briefly one of his boys will be marrying up too. I did not get to tell him all about the wedding, I did icq him but he did not answer my msgs late monday or tues. now, we know why he did not answer his msgs from..any of us earlier this week.

And yeh 45 is too darn young, he still had hopes and dreams and ambitions and plan for his rl and for Siege and Myth etc. which he often shared with me, that he had hoped would become realities, for all the rest of his life to do and yet to come.

It is often a tad bit easier to cope with when those we care about; whom care about us, have some illness or some kinda of clue or warnings that maybe their time is near, it is damn harder on the emotions for all, when it is some one that was so full of life one day and everything seemed just fine healthwise, energetic full of plans and laughter, to suddenly be taken away from this world, and everyone that cared, people whom they too cared about.