• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Warlock? Template help

F

Flinnt

Back from a brief, 3 year stint, in WoW. Screw that noise. Back to my UO roots.

I'm looking at a template which would, I think, considerably increase the damage output for a spell caster.

It would be based off using Magery as it's primary damage source, while using Strangle, Poison, and Revenant as additional "stacking" damage. The idea would be get my DoTs up, and then start blasting away with magery.

105 Magery
115 Eval Int (Only 3 yr acct)
100 Scribe
105 Necro
100 SS
100 Poison
90 Med

Is this Viable? How effective is lethal and deadly poison on things where they would actually get to last their full duration? (Ex: Doom, Peerless, Big things that go "bump" in the night?)

Additionally, is not maxing necro and SS @ 120 going to seriously affect the power of my Rev's and Strangle?

I also understand a lot of people love pushing the Word of Death with Spellweaving - but I only get to cast that 30% of the fight - when I could (theoretically) be laying down Revs, Strangles, and Poisons the full fight. Instead of hitting for those big numbers at the end, I will have consistent DoT damage the whole time.

Another thought would be to drop Med, use a couple +skill items, and get 100 SW. Then focus on LRC and Mana regen items + Lich form. I don't know. I need info from someone who has been there and back; Someone who knows what they are talking about.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry not to be a negative devil's advocate, but in my book there is no "effective" DOT artist in UO.

Your best bet is sort of like you have it. 105 necro, but adding 120 spirit speak for damage output. Poison is sort of a waste in PvP and PvM, until they fix the potion timers (if they do) and/or doing something so that poison will be of use in PvP.

In terms of "DOT" itself, its not a reasonable strategy in terms of the UO game.
I have not played WoW, but from my reading on your job you played, it is much the same as a red mage in FFXI.

As a red mage, you can stack 6 DOT spells on top of one another and have them all producing damage AND most importantly, not canceling one another out.

In terms of UO, this is just not possible. Your BEST bet for PvP AND PvM, is spell combos. Yes you can add strangle and what have you, but not ONLY using DOT spells.

Your best bet really is to go necro-mage unless this is just for PvM. Spellweaving is too big of a deal and unless you can push out some major spellcasting damage throughout the fight, you won't compete with a spellweaver in regards to damage output and claims.

For peerless and Doom, poison does not make sense. You will be competing with other people and their damage output will vastly outdistance them from you unless you can compete with spellcasting damage.

Additionally I recommend around 106.7 magery so you don't fail at 7th circle spells. Not failing is important. If you can really manage, I would recommend putting even more points into Magery.

Last but not least, Magery is a much more competent damage output...especially using slayer spellbooks. I can consistently top 200+ damage EACH hit on the major non-slayer resistant bosses.

So in conclusion, SDI gear/items and high magery needed. If you do PvP, just need 15+ SDI...no more. That is the cap.

M

Mr.Fernandes

Notihg w4rong with stacking dmaage in the meantime, but my inclination is to agree with Diomodes - while you're waiting for Strangle and Revenant to kill something why would you NOT help them out with damage of your own?

G

GFY

A well times corpse skin and explosion flamestrike combo would work really nice!

K

KoolAidAddict

Just my opinion, of course, but with a mana intensive template, and yours truly would be one, if you dont have magic resist, your gonna get vamped a lot!
No mana = useless warlock!

Scribe is a stone off skill, at best.
Poison is ok, if you field the spawn at a champs, but you have to be close to the field for it to be deadly poison, and your gonna get smoked by one of the many things that gets mad at ya!

If its me, and I do run this template, as someone else suggested, go with a mage / necro / spellweaver build.

Magery
Eval
Med
Resist
Necro
Spirit
Spellweave.

Run in wraith form, for mana leech, and cast area spells as often as there are two or more targets in range, to leech back your mana.
Spellweave fire field spell (wildfire) leeches back lots!
Essence of Wind is an area effect spell too!
Word of Death, when target is in that "range" leeches back 20% of 300+ damage, meaning hehehe, SPAMMMM IT !!!!

Try it, betcha youll love it!!

See ya on the undead playground!!!