• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Wanted Features that modders CANNOT make

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, dear devs, you got lucky! Pinco did most of your job with his awesome UI.

But there are some things he simply cannot do - all that stuff that goes on in the client itself. So I thought I"d start a list to collect all the features that people want and that cannot be done with a mod.

First things that come to my mind:

• show the names of the party members in the map next to their location
  • Show Seeker, Follower and Knight status on mouseover in the virtue gump
  • target relative to location
  • make gumps available for makro (so we can make, for example, one animal form - dog and one animal form - unicorn macro)
  • making the zoom level readable for modders

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
make gumps available for makro (so we can make, for example, one animal form - dog and one animal form - unicorn macro)
the generic gumps need to be moved inside the client so we can have back the 1 page animal lore gump and many other great features :p

another thing that I've requested is the PlaySound function...
This function should be able to play a sound just for you (so noone else will hear it). This function already exist and is used on the tutorial but is not usable via script.
I have some projects that involve the playsound and can't be done :(

The coordinates of a mobile/object should also be very useful if available...

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
For some reason they have said the sound option is not something they are going to look into now :-(
the show seeker follower used to work for me but that may have been cc
target relative is the big one for me especially with the fishing addon we just had

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For some reason they have said the sound option is not something they are going to look into now :-(
the show seeker follower used to work for me but that may have been cc
target relative is the big one for me especially with the fishing addon we just had
nope, they misunderstood my question... I sent after the hoc a pm to cal and he said that they could consider to add the feature one day... he said the same about the readable zoom level.

Unfortunately we all know EA and probably on 2030 they will start working on 1 of these things by breaking something else :D

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
nope, they misunderstood my question... I sent after the hoc a pm to cal and he said that they could consider to add the feature one day... he said the same about the readable zoom level.

Unfortunately we all know EA and probably on 2030 they will start working on 1 of these things by breaking something else :D
Thats right and thats why you are the only really active modder modding public at the moment, i dont want to do your job, have done it long time.

Iam playing now and if something is wrong i can blame others, but change will never come or only very slow.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Thats right and thats why you are the only really active modder modding public at the moment, i dont want to do your job, have done it long time.

Iam playing now and if something is wrong i can blame others, but change will never come or only very slow.
You know I've considered working on Mods but one thing always stands in my way. I can never seem to get a working test environment setup, and the "guide" for modding that comes with the client is poorly written.

Perhaps if someone actually wrote a good guide on Mod Creation to get people started there would be more people doing it. I mean I can handle XML, I use it for populating treeviews, and other data storage functions when working with other languages like VB.NET. Lua on the other hand I just can't get a grip on because I find it the documentation on it severely lacking, and unfriendly towards hobbyists. It's also not like I can go to Barnes and Noble and find half a dozen desk references on Lua, something I can physically have there to look at while I'm learning, that is indexed and cross referencable.

U

unified

You know I've considered working on Mods but one thing always stands in my way. I can never seem to get a working test environment setup, and the "guide" for modding that comes with the client is poorly written.

Perhaps if someone actually wrote a good guide on Mod Creation to get people started there would be more people doing it. I mean I can handle XML, I use it for populating treeviews, and other data storage functions when working with other languages like VB.NET. Lua on the other hand I just can't get a grip on because I find it the documentation on it severely lacking, and unfriendly towards hobbyists. It's also not like I can go to Barnes and Noble and find half a dozen desk references on Lua, something I can physically have there to look at while I'm learning, that is indexed and cross referencable.
Exactly! I'm even willing to pay for a step-by-step guide to even creating a button on, say, the skills window, a menu, etc. :link:

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Making a new button visibly isn't hard. Making it DO something is another story, at least for me.

Textures and XML I have handled...LUA just confuses me endlessly.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Making a new button visibly isn't hard. Making it DO something is another story, at least for me.

Textures and XML I have handled...LUA just confuses me endlessly.
I know what you mean there....

Code:
Private Sub Closebtn_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Closebtn.Click

Me.Close() ''Close the currently open Form or Window
That makes perfect sense to me.

Code:
function Button:DoClick( ) //This is called when the button is clicked
        self:SetText( "Clicked" ); //Set the text to "Clicked"
    end
This however doesn't. Might be because LUA is more of a scripting language than a fully fleshed out Programming language.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know what you mean there....

Code:
Private Sub Closebtn_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Closebtn.Click

Me.Close() ''Close the currently open Form or Window
That makes perfect sense to me.

Code:
function Button:DoClick( ) //This is called when the button is clicked
        self:SetText( "Clicked" ); //Set the text to "Clicked"
    end
This however doesn't. Might be because LUA is more of a scripting language than a fully fleshed out Programming language.
The : is the dependency on an object? Or what is the difference between . and :

Here:

Button <= Object
self <= self = Object here Button

?

Gilmour

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- i badly want a fishing option for the "target by resource" action
- or at least a target relative option

X

Xantrik

- i badly want a fishing option for the "target by resource" action
- or at least a target relative option
Ya, I was surprised this wasn't in the EC. Especially after leveling LJ and Mining with so much success in the new client. I also want to see colors on skill gains. Leveling something like mining where you have a wall of white text is annoying when your skill gains blend in with all the white spam text. :cursing: