• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Voting Where You Live

Does this sound like a Fair and Just system

• Yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
As much as I would like to take credit for this idea I can't, its not mine but that of a well known and well respected player from LS. During a conversation after the recent elections she stated "Its so Simple, Just Code the Game so that you can only Vote Where You Live" Meaning to vote on a Shard you must have a House placed there. Established Residents so to speak. This makes perfect sense to me, I know of no where that a people that doesn't live in a Land have voting rights there. I certainly would'nt expect someone from California to be able to vote in Texas. Why would anyone be allowed to Vote on a Shard they don't live on? If you don't live on the Shard you have Zero vested interests there and no given right to Vote there.
IMHO this is a perfect fix and though I am no Dev. I don't think its would be that hard to Code.

I welcome all feedback on this topic and thank you for your time

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
What if you have multiple accounts and *live* on multiple shards?

While this might be a good idea, it still doesn't fix things entirely.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I split my UO time pretty evenly across about five servers. Who are you to tell me I don't live on some them just because I can't afford five accounts just for houses?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If the population of UO was as high as it was many years ago, I'd say yes to the idea. Today, though, I think it would be far too restrictive.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd say the same should go for people who have homes on Siege but don't play the shard...la

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I split my UO time pretty evenly across about five servers. Who are you to tell me I don't live on some them just because I can't afford five accounts just for houses?
So with this line of thinking if you Visit Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina but live in Mississippi you should be able to Vote where ever you go.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So with this line of thinking if you Visit Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina but live in Mississippi you should be able to Vote where ever you go.
Your logic would work if you could claim shard residency as you have to if you have homes in 5 states. Please try again...la

Zeke

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, it's not the same. I play 3 shards (well only shop on Atlantic, so 2) and my characters LIVE on those two shards and should have a right to vote. In my case I do have a house on both, but some of my friends who play both, live in my house on the 2nd shard. They play there at least once or twice a week and they should (and can) be able to vote there as well. I agree that free accounts and characters less than 30 days should not be able to vote.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actualy you have helped to make my Point Exactly, TY. If you have 5 Houses this means you have 5 accts and residency on those 5 Shards
Actually no, what about people with multiple homes on a shard? What about people who have houses on Siege and multiple production shards?

A small group of us have been pushing the idea of having to proclaim a primary shard. This would make all other houses require a 30 day refresh to keep people from plopping down houses on Siege and never returning. The problem? The devs have yet to respond to our requests...la

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Would this mean one of my accounts has dual citizenship? It still has old school "grandfathered" houses, split among a couple of shards.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ULTIMA ONLINE IS A VIDEO GAME

A

VIDEO

GAME

Quit trying to ascribe American voting laws to a video game.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I thought this was already how it worked.

But hey let's just leave the election system as the playpen of a handful of people on Atlantic who can call in as many votes as they need on any shard. Wouldn't want some guy to not be able to vote on all the different shards his characters "live" on.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UO is unfair...

take em events......totally unfair and closed click community ...its like drawing blood from a stone to even find out when they take place unless u are in...

take the new Idoc system...re-made to cater for the afk cheaters only

take the recent and next dungeon revamps...again cater for the afk cheaters...

do the devs really care....aint heard a peep about any issue above...bar learn to tolerate and live amongst the cheats as we cant do jack **** about it

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This will NOT fix voting.

One suggestion was to have the donation part of gaining up your loyalty turned off in the week prior to voting and turn it back on after voting has ended. So you can't "buy" votes last minute. Make folk do the runs for the trade deals or whatever to gain loyalty that way but not allow folk to donate items to gain loyalty up in the week of elections or the week prior to elections. However this won't stop those who already have loyalty in their cities.... that won't stop folk who are there and if they really want to vote they can still run the trade deals to get loyalty up and honestly doubt anyone is going to want to do that just to give someone a vote on some random shard.

I'd like to have that 30 day old thing in there as well... but then you are out of luck with folk like myself who have basically over 800 characters all over. I could literally vote anywhere... at anytime and I'm not alone there.

Restricting it to having to have a house on the shard again is catering to those who have money... and hurting those of us who play on multiple shards. GL's may be my "main" shard but I have characters everywhere and I play them...

I think the DEV's time is best served worrying about game breaking issues than crying over hurt feelings when someone loses an election. I know folk pay for votes... but if you don't think that happens IRL as well then you have been living life under a rock. Is it good or bad don't know... Guess that's part of the territory of politics. Limiting folk to one vote per account Period...... would be an option. But then there are 100's of people who honestly don't give a rats and would go vote anywhere for gold... so again your not solving the issue...

I guess my thing is if someone really cared and really was interested in the political aspect of the game and really was "Playing" the role of the Governor or potential Governor then I would think the people of that shard WOULD actually know them and MIGHT actually care to vote for them... Which in my opinion is what matters. Sadly there is a whole lot of petty bickery from some over the whole experience and that is sad. I honestly want to know "Why".... Why do some folk really want the title? Is it just so they can run about with the title of "Governor" of whatever? That's lame... Is it because they think that it's going to somehow entitle them to something? Because let me set that record straight right now having been the Governor of Yew since day 1 it entitles you to NOTHING... If they think that somehow being Governor your going to get the EM's to do something for you.... then again WRONG. They won't. They won't spawn stuff for you they won't decorate anything for you.... they aren't going to do much of anything at all but have you sit at a meeting once a month...

As Governor the only things you CAN do are grant folk titles... I've given 2 whole titles in all the time I've been Governor. 2 that's it. You CAN do Trade Deals which I have maintained and for the first great long while I did out of my own pocket. 2 million a week and you have ZERO idea if it's even being used by anyone at all. You have no way of knowing who is loyal to your city.... you have no way of knowing who voted for you... you have no way of knowing if someone is a citizen of your city... You can't tell what they want or don't want because they have really no way to tell you anything except to find you in game or *gasps* go to one of the Governors meetings which at least for my shard is NOT attended pretty much by anyone outside the RP community... because first off NOTHING is ever given away at a meeting... no EM drops... No Fighting happens, nothing happens outside strict RP. So honestly I keep wondering what all the fuss is about. Unless you really are into RP or the Trade Deal I see no reason for all this uproar over voting or being Governor.

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My local County Commissioner pays the residents of our county with a big free supper of boiled shrimp and prime rib with all the side fixin's. All right before the election. He pays good money for that dinner and we keep electing him. I will admit though his opponent had a party with free BBQ so I ate at both partys, but I like shrimp and prime rib better so I voted for the first guy. It was a close election.

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This will NOT fix voting.

One suggestion was to have the donation part of gaining up your loyalty turned off in the week prior to voting and turn it back on after voting has ended. So you can't "buy" votes last minute. Make folk do the runs for the trade deals or whatever to gain loyalty that way but not allow folk to donate items to gain loyalty up in the week of elections or the week prior to elections. However this won't stop those who already have loyalty in their cities.... that won't stop folk who are there and if they really want to vote they can still run the trade deals to get loyalty up and honestly doubt anyone is going to want to do that just to give someone a vote on some random shard.

I'd like to have that 30 day old thing in there as well... but then you are out of luck with folk like myself who have basically over 800 characters all over. I could literally vote anywhere... at anytime and I'm not alone there.

Restricting it to having to have a house on the shard again is catering to those who have money... and hurting those of us who play on multiple shards. GL's may be my "main" shard but I have characters everywhere and I play them...

I think the DEV's time is best served worrying about game breaking issues than crying over hurt feelings when someone loses an election. I know folk pay for votes... but if you don't think that happens IRL as well then you have been living life under a rock. Is it good or bad don't know... Guess that's part of the territory of politics. Limiting folk to one vote per account Period...... would be an option. But then there are 100's of people who honestly don't give a rats and would go vote anywhere for gold... so again your not solving the issue...

I guess my thing is if someone really cared and really was interested in the political aspect of the game and really was "Playing" the role of the Governor or potential Governor then I would think the people of that shard WOULD actually know them and MIGHT actually care to vote for them... Which in my opinion is what matters. Sadly there is a whole lot of petty bickery from some over the whole experience and that is sad. I honestly want to know "Why".... Why do some folk really want the title? Is it just so they can run about with the title of "Governor" of whatever? That's lame... Is it because they think that it's going to somehow entitle them to something? Because let me set that record straight right now having been the Governor of Yew since day 1 it entitles you to NOTHING... If they think that somehow being Governor your going to get the EM's to do something for you.... then again WRONG. They won't. They won't spawn stuff for you they won't decorate anything for you.... they aren't going to do much of anything at all but have you sit at a meeting once a month...

As Governor the only things you CAN do are grant folk titles... I've given 2 whole titles in all the time I've been Governor. 2 that's it. You CAN do Trade Deals which I have maintained and for the first great long while I did out of my own pocket. 2 million a week and you have ZERO idea if it's even being used by anyone at all. You have no way of knowing who is loyal to your city.... you have no way of knowing who voted for you... you have no way of knowing if someone is a citizen of your city... You can't tell what they want or don't want because they have really no way to tell you anything except to find you in game or *gasps* go to one of the Governors meetings which at least for my shard is NOT attended pretty much by anyone outside the RP community... because first off NOTHING is ever given away at a meeting... no EM drops... No Fighting happens, nothing happens outside strict RP. So honestly I keep wondering what all the fuss is about. Unless you really are into RP or the Trade Deal I see no reason for all this uproar over voting or being Governor.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
As much as I would like to take credit for this idea I can't, its not mine but that of a well known and well respected player from LS. During a conversation after the recent elections she stated "Its so Simple, Just Code the Game so that you can only Vote Where You Live" Meaning to vote on a Shard you must have a House placed there. Established Residents so to speak. This makes perfect sense to me, I know of no where that a people that doesn't live in a Land have voting rights there. I certainly would'nt expect someone from California to be able to vote in Texas. Why would anyone be allowed to Vote on a Shard they don't live on? If you don't live on the Shard you have Zero vested interests there and no given right to Vote there.
IMHO this is a perfect fix and though I am no Dev. I don't think its would be that hard to Code.

I welcome all feedback on this topic and thank you for your time
As long all can place a house on Siege and Mugen without choose what house is primary and what house are secondary, it would work poorly for Siege and Mugen, it could give us even more non used dirt plots.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My local County Commissioner pays the residents of our county with a big free supper of boiled shrimp and prime rib with all the side fixin's. All right before the election. He pays good money for that dinner and we keep electing him. I will admit though his opponent had a party with free BBQ so I ate at both partys, but I like shrimp and prime rib better so I voted for the first guy. It was a close election.
i think this is the most realistic and sensible answer to this whole mess LOL. Smoot Approves !