• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Voting is Dumb

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I never liked the idea of politics in UO.
Democracy is very messy, dirty, and not very fun when it comes down to the polictics of it.

We have to deal with it irl, but why UO?

Since we have a king in Sosaria, and i dont even see the point of democratic elections in the first place, i propose i new system.

The King appoints Magistrates / Barons / Governors (whatever you want to call the head of a city)
*this can be based off of anything really, debates, strengths, corrupt evil plans of the King, doesnt matter.

Then, an actually fun system to give everyone a fair chance, and to support actual gameplay of developed characters on the shard whos city leadership is in question.

If you do not like the decision of the king, you can "rebel" against the king's decision.

Each "rebellious faction" in oppostion to the king's decsion would have to join a guild.

Each city under "rebellion" to the king's decision would be occupied by the King's forces (invasion mob style)

The person / guild picked by the King could also defend their claim / appointment by killing npc "rebellers," which would be identical in strenth / number to the kings occupying forces.

Guild that kills the most of the King's occupying forces / Rebellion forces (determined by point value similar to Cora) would become leader of that city.

This system would promote healthy gameplay. Obviously only developed characters (not random cross shard friends / multiple householder accounts) would be able to contribute substantially to gaining points if the King's choice was in dispute.

Last edited:

Inkboy the Wild

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have to disagree, not with the premise of your idea, but with the title of the message that "voting is dumb." One of the draws of Ultima is that within it's own fantasy world, there are many 'real world' elements that keep the game both fantasy but with a realistic nature that makes it even more immersive.

What is indeed 'dumb' is people's individual behaviors. Yes, politics are dirty regardless if they are in a game (which many people take extremely serious) or in the real world.

The idea that one person, or anyone, would attempt to purchase or even ask to receive cross shard votes is just ... counterproductive to the process. However, it happens in RL just the same.

Keep in mind, I know many of you use your alternate accounts to cast additional votes for your selection -- so, in a sense, it's like the pot calling the kettle...you know how that goes.

Now if people have friends and guild mates on another shard who want to assist, well isn't that just the democratic process in action? Despite the fact that we, or I, or others may not necessarily like or agree with it?

Obviously, this election has upset many people and I am not the happiest, myself, with some of it's outcome. However, it is a part of game play -- the election cycle is short lived -- prepare and be readied for the next.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have to disagree, not with the premise of your idea, but with the title of the message that "voting is dumb." One of the draws of Ultima is that within it's own fantasy world, there are many 'real world' elements that keep the game both fantasy but with a realistic nature that makes it even more immersive.

What is indeed 'dumb' is people's individual behaviors. Yes, politics are dirty regardless if they are in a game (which many people take extremely serious) or in the real world.

The idea that one person, or anyone, would attempt to purchase or even ask to receive cross shard votes is just ... counterproductive to the process. However, it happens in RL just the same.

Keep in mind, I know many of you use your alternate accounts to cast additional votes for your selection -- so, in a sense, it's like the pot calling the kettle...you know how that goes.

Now if people have friends and guild mates on another shard who want to assist, well isn't that just the democratic process in action? Despite the fact that we, or I, or others may not necessarily like or agree with it?

Obviously, this election has upset many people and I am not the happiest, myself, with some of it's outcome. However, it is a part of game play -- the election cycle is short lived -- prepare and be readied for the next.
yeah thats my point. it just comes down to how many accounts you have access to. Which isn't right or wrong, its just the way it is and what the system promotes. The biggest part of being a governor in this system is (if you yourself do not have personal $$ / accounts paid in the double digits like many do) is make freinds / alliances with those that do during the term.

For myself, i dont see what this has to do with UO. I like to kill monsters and stuff.

voting has nothing to do with RP, nothing to do with pvm or pvp. its all icq and how much $$ you have irl (i am amazed by people, some on cats, who have 20-50 paid accounts)

So ill stick to my guns on this one. We have a king, and voting was never supposed to be in UO. it "works" if you want to play by the voting rules to win, but just isnt what i myself would call a fun time in UO.

My system would require effort in game, makes sense with a monarchy, and would actually be fun (for me at least) seeing the active, developed characters of the shard decide who reigns.

Inkboy the Wild

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Yes, it should not come down to how many accounts you can afford to open or friends with several accounts. It should be what have you done for the people, the shard, the growth... yada yada. :D Good post and have a good Holiday, Smoot!

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 5 open accounts. Two are mine, one the Mrs, and two belong to our son. Each of the accounts votes according to the main characters history. Aedon and Shauna(the Mrs) voted in Yew. My other account who used to run his business out of the Brit smithy and still lives there in the Inn voted in Brit. One of our sons account's main character is a long time resident of Trinsic and former PGoH voted for Thom, the other a Ranger form Skara voted there for the Ranger Gillian. I believe that History in this game matters, and would never think of voting in another town just to sway the election.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have 5 open accounts. Two are mine, one the Mrs, and two belong to our son. Each of the accounts votes according to the main characters history. Aedon and Shauna(the Mrs) voted in Yew. My other account who used to run his business out of the Brit smithy and still lives there in the Inn voted in Brit. One of our sons account's main character is a long time resident of Trinsic and former PGoH voted for Thom, the other a Ranger form Skara voted there for the Ranger Gillian. I believe that History in this game matters, and would never think of voting in another town just to sway the election.
i applaud your dedication Aedon, however you would not be a very successful politician in rl me thinks :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its the vote trading that is the problem. I have always said it should be as follows.

One vote PER account. You get ONE vote across the shards. Choose your main one and deal with it.
vote trading is one "problem" however its the only way to counter people with multiple accounts, which is another "problem" 1 person having 50 votes because they pay more $$ does not seem fair (i realize politics isnt meant to be fair tho :p )

honestly under the current system voting can never be fair or what it was supposed to be. I dont think the devs realized how many people have 10 - 50 accounts.

1 vote per account obviously would not alleviate this problem. many people use all their votes on a single shard anyway and has nothing to do with vote trading.

the whole system is just trash, just like real politics :)