• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vista Sucks Chefs Chocolate Salty *****

• Thread starter wee papa smurf
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
W

wee papa smurf

Seriously, does anyone actually like vista? if i replace my operating system with xp will i lose all my files?

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Might want to post this question to people who know the answers to the technical question. Try the tech forum. But I don't believe you will lose any files at all.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't back up your files, installing a new operating system will wipe them for you, gladly.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you don't back up your files, installing a new operating system will wipe them for you, gladly.
I've always backed up my files when I install operating systems but I've never needed to restore those files unless I chose to wipe then install. If you choose just to install the OS only, personal files should remain intact.

U

uoBuoY

Microsoft hasn't supported XP for almost 18 months. Which means XP might not have drives for new hardware.

If you have new hardware check with the manufacturer to confirm that XP has appropriate drivers.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, totally, nobody's using XP anymore, so I doubt ANYONE'S providing drivers... It's totally a dead OS, dudes.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I like vista, with a few tweaks it's not a bad OS.

Here's what you can do to make it easier to deal with...

Don't like that pesky UAC? Start > Accessories > Run > type in msconfig hit Run. Go to the Tools tab and click "Disable UAC" and Launch. On your next Reboot UAC will be gone.

You can speed up things a bit by going to the Boot Tab clicking Advanced Options and if your using a multi-core processor check the box for "Number of Processors" and selecting how many you have.

Do those 2 things or even if you don't want to kill the UAC there's a even better way though it's a bit annoying..

Go to Start > Control Panel (Needs to be in Classic View) > Administration Tools > Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options > User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode > Change it to Elevate without prompting.

This will leave UAC's security in check without the Pop Ups.