• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vista causing cast delay?

• Thread starter NewYears1978
  • Start date
  • Watchers 1
N

NewYears1978

Not sure if this is a vista problem.

I just recently got back into UO, installed the game on my nice gaming computer at home and my crappy one at work.

Home computer has Vista, work XP.

So my problem, when I hit a macro for a spell here at home, there isa full second delay before the text even shows up..at work it is instant.

Is this a Vista problem...or does anyone have any ideas?

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm running vista ultimate 64 at home and work, spell macros work quite well for me, at least well enough to be accused of hacking...

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you seeing any other delays anywhere? Such as opening programs, startup/shutdown? Please list your full system spec for the vista computer in question.

N

NewYears1978

Are you seeing any other delays anywhere? Such as opening programs, startup/shutdown? Please list your full system spec for the vista computer in question.
Nope..run even Crysis at 40-60 fps on med-high settings.

I have a Core 2 Duo 2.13, 4gb Ram, GTX 260, Vista Home Premium 32bit

Everything runs fine..UO runs fine when my ping is good, except that casting delay..I keep thinking maybe it is in my head but I can clearly see that when I hit the spell it takes a sec before it pops up..should be instant.

Seems to work sometimes, but not most of the time. I need to go back to my comp at work and test..to make sure it is not in my head (but Im sure its not)

I would throw XP on here but it's not an easy job..unless maybe I do a seperate install ofXP on my 2nd partition.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
download microsoft virtual PC 2007, and use it to make an XP virtual machine. Give it 2.5gb RAM and both processors. See if its choppy there.

BTW, what is your Windows Experience Index? It will be a number in a blue box when you right click computer and click properties.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
My Windows experience index is 5.9... What does it mean?

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
6 is max, but you need some seriously godly hardware, and certain specific pieces to get it.

This is my vista VM at work:

N

NewYears1978

download microsoft virtual PC 2007, and use it to make an XP virtual machine. Give it 2.5gb RAM and both processors. See if its choppy there.

BTW, what is your Windows Experience Index? It will be a number in a blue box when you right click computer and click properties.

I am back at work right now, casting is perfect here...something definately wrong at home...especially since this computer is old..its only got 512mb ram, Celeron D 356 processor 3.33ghz and no graphics card (using motherboard built in graphics)

My index at home is 5.1 (I know because I checked it recently when I upgraded to 4Gb RAM and GTX 260 card) I don't have the specific numbers here at work, but I know my low score was processor. But that shouldn't be my issue.

I tried different things, disabling sound card, using 800x600 resolution, using full screen, etc etc. Nothing seemed to effect it. It's quite odd...

I will try that virtual machine thing when I get home, glad you mentioned that, didn't know you could do that and I was going to try a new install of XP which wouldn't have been fun.

Edit:
Could this be a connection issue? Here we only have 1.5mb DSL, home I have 8mb Cable..I would think my cable would be better..but could this be an issue some how?

I usually ping 60ms at home..same here...no packet loss...so I wouldnt think this is the issue..but I don't know enough about it. Guess trying XP is the first step.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, try a different video driver. Latest and greatest isnt always best for some applications. When I find a video driver that works good for what I do, I tend to stick with it until I am forced to upgrade.

N

NewYears1978

I cant figure out how to do this Virtual Machine thing, I created one..but when it boots up it gets to MAC ADDRESS and just stays there. (I tried ICQ you butyou didnt reply)

I think I may have misunderstood that you have to actually install XP..which I left my CD at work..grr.

N

NewYears1978

So I got it figured out, however it would only let me use 2070mb ram, and alsomy internet doesnt detect in the virtual machine?

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My Windows experience index is 5.9... What does it mean?
Right next to the number is say what does it mean Click it :mf_prop:

What is the Windows Experience Index?

The Windows Experience Index measures the capability of your computer's hardware and software configuration and expresses this measurement as a number called a base score. A higher base score generally means that your computer will perform better and faster than a computer with a lower base score, especially when performing more advanced and resource-intensive tasks.
Each hardware component receives an individual subscore. Your computer's base score is determined by the lowest subscore. For example, if the lowest subscore of an individual hardware component is 2.6, then the base score is 2.6. The base score is not an average of the combined subscores.
You can use the base score to confidently buy programs and other software that are matched to your computer's base score. For example, if your computer has a base score of 3.3, then you can confidently purchase any software designed for this version of Windows that requires a computer with a base score of 3 or lower.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I got it figured out, however it would only let me use 2070mb ram, and alsomy internet doesnt detect in the virtual machine?

Before you start the VM, highlight it and click settings. Change the network adapter type to NAT. Also it will only let you use a percentage of available RAM. XP 32 bit only addresses 3gb anyway.

N

NewYears1978

I just can't figure it out..guess I just won't be able to play..not PvP anyways...

It's gotta be some sorta hardware issue..which is odd...maybe its in my head..but I dont think so.

Wulf2k

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry if you mentioned and I missed it, but which client?

G

gjohnson5

Nope..run even Crysis at 40-60 fps on med-high settings.

I have a Core 2 Duo 2.13, 4gb Ram, GTX 260, Vista Home Premium 32bit
I'm fairly sure that processor uses x86_64 instruction set. Vista shouldn't use all 4GB of ram. (maybe 3.5) I personally would upgrade to Vista x64 for best performance

Everything runs fine..UO runs fine when my ping is good, except that casting delay..I keep thinking maybe it is in my head but I can clearly see that when I hit the spell it takes a sec before it pops up..should be instant.
For the GTX, in the NVIDIA Control Panel, I set Id options for "let the application decide" And high performance texture filtering

That should make your user settings the most compatible with the game.

Seems to work sometimes, but not most of the time. I need to go back to my comp at work and test..to make sure it is not in my head (but Im sure its not)

I would throw XP on here but it's not an easy job..unless maybe I do a seperate install ofXP on my 2nd partition.
I would try windows 7 before downgrading to XP. But what about your network connection?